Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
pod Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
We as the ultimate hunter on the planet with skills and good sense to having the prey become a prey of our convenience and by appointment. the self accomplishment of taken a trophy animal by stalk and pursue is surely a thing of the past. Give the outfitter the proper fee and you can now fly from the east coast to the mid west on Friday after work go to a furnished heated mini house shoot your 180 point deer by 9 a.m. get on the plane on sunday and be home in 3 hours and all arrangement for the deer taken care of from picking it up in the food plot to mounting. Now we have the latest fad also known as the LONG RANGER now the pry is shot up to 1000 yards away by a team of pros for a substantial fee. I think the next step is to have a forward observer with a lazer beam held on the side of the animal and radio in the GPS to the client a mile away of which time he will get out of bed open the window fire a smart bullet and return to bed and view his kill later in the day.The hunter is something of the past it is now the trophy hunter and paid pro who has all but put a radio collar on the beast. Oh I have become a fan of bison hunters. a poor animal that stands in the middle of a field and some yo yo dressed in a mountain mans outfit is driven out to within 50 yards of him and shoots him with a 45-70 loaded up to 458 mag specs and everyone congrads him on a great feat. the TV shows are not helping us.

BP-B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Hunting can be as hard or easy as you want it to be,Not all hunters hunt by the same standards mentioned above.Most of my hunts a DIY,nothing like you describe.As fars as hunting shows go,if it offends you do not watch it.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Maybe you should stay away from the Outdoor Channel and spend some time with an English teacher to learn about sentence structure, punctuation and what a paragraph is supposed to be.

You would be less frustrated and better prepared to make a valid point...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pod
We as the ultimate hunter on the planet with skills and good sense to having the prey become a prey of our convenience and by appointment. the self accomplishment of taken a trophy animal by stalk and pursue is surely a thing of the past. Give the outfitter the proper fee and you can now fly from the east coast to the mid west on Friday after work go to a furnished heated mini house shoot your 180 point deer by 9 a.m.......

Do tell? I must be using the wrong outfitters or hunting the wrong places DIY. In 40+ years I have seen 3 whitetails that looked like they'd gross 180 or better and didn't kill any of them.

I froze to death several times just to see them.

Where the hell do you hunt? I think you need to hunt more and watch less TV.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You seem upset. Watching that crap on TV will do that. It's along the same lines as watching Obama talk. Listening to him is worse.
There are groups that hunt with flintlock muzzle loaders. You might find such a group. There are others that only hunt with cast bullets. Fun and a worthwhile pursuit.

Bottom line(s)
Watching TV - bad. Going outside, still hunting - good.

Hunt with others that feel the same way as you.

But you'll still get upset sometime when a nimrod does something stupid.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
What a load of crap. I just retired and will get or already have hunting licences in 6 states. Wolves and pronghorn will take me from Sept.-March. Throw in some birds and lots of coyotes all done w/out a guide on public land. Our only limitation is time. Whiners are boring.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Maybe you should stay away from the Outdoor Channel and spend some time with an English teacher to learn about sentence structure, punctuation and what a paragraph is supposed to be.

You would be less frustrated and better prepared to make a valid point...

Excellent advice on both counts.

μολὼν λαβέ
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by pod
We as the ultimate hunter on the planet with skills and good sense to having the prey become a prey of our convenience and by appointment. the self accomplishment of taken a trophy animal by stalk and pursue is surely a thing of the past. Give the outfitter the proper fee and you can now fly from the east coast to the mid west on Friday after work go to a furnished heated mini house shoot your 180 point deer by 9 a.m. get on the plane on sunday and be home in 3 hours and all arrangement for the deer taken care of from picking it up in the food plot to mounting. Now we have the latest fad also known as the LONG RANGER now the pry is shot up to 1000 yards away by a team of pros for a substantial fee. I think the next step is to have a forward observer with a lazer beam held on the side of the animal and radio in the GPS to the client a mile away of which time he will get out of bed open the window fire a smart bullet and return to bed and view his kill later in the day.The hunter is something of the past it is now the trophy hunter and paid pro who has all but put a radio collar on the beast. Oh I have become a fan of bison hunters. a poor animal that stands in the middle of a field and some yo yo dressed in a mountain mans outfit is driven out to within 50 yards of him and shoots him with a 45-70 loaded up to 458 mag specs and everyone congrads him on a great feat. the TV shows are not helping us.

Excuse me ma'am, I believe that you have posted on the wrong fora...you seem as though you would be better served at the PETA discussion forum on chatabout.

Have a nice day.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Certainly not the rule for most, but there are some that subscribe to optimum foraging theory. Maximize take with minimal effort. I see the drone thing eventually creeping into several aspects of what we call hunting.

1Minute
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Drones, huh? Now you're talking. Perhaps I'll mosey over to the hobby store and get one with a video camera, and link it to my smartphone. Send it up over the trees and scout the Lower 40 for deer.

That, or invite my buddies over for beer and anti-aircraft fun. Probably this.

OP: There is a lot more important stuff to worry about. "Never sweat the petty stuff and always pet the sweaty stuff."

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by pod

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with you !

I got rid of the sportsmans channel years ago . Sickening watching these people yap and yap about all these products - and having deer under 24/7/365 surveillance riding their bad boy buggy to the stand etc. . Pimping their wives with more products .

I've always considered having someone "take me" hunting to be so silly .
You are right in that many so called hunters have little to no real hunting skills -they don't scout or figure things out for themselves they pay someone to set up a shot for them.

I know there are many hunters here and probably not many who go to hunting resorts , those type of hunters don't sit and think about hunting like most 'fire members do .

It appears some here think you are pointing a finger at them , I didn't take your post like that .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Prithee...what is a "hunting resort"?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pod
Give the outfitter the proper fee and you can now fly from the east coast to the mid west on Friday after work go to a furnished heated mini house shoot your 180 point deer by 9 a.m. get on the plane on sunday and be home in 3 hours and all arrangement for the deer taken care of from picking it up in the food plot to mounting.

Falderal.

Me thinks you've been duped into thinking SCI's show with @zzclown Mike Rogers or whatever the dude from Swarovski (Dean Capuano, IIRC) show is called - thinking you were watching a low fence hunt.

It simply doesn't work like that.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have no idea where "hunting" is headed, but I do know where I'll be headed, come September.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Pod, this is quite a rant.I don't use any of the modern gadgets and I am a very serious hunter.In the western Canadian mountains we either walk or horse ride in fairly rugged country, it is always a strenuous and wouldn't want it any other other way.I hunt mature antlered or horned game am very selective, killing very few game animals because of this.As a hunter consider myself a steward of the land and if we see garbage , we pack it out.Many, many others look at things like I do .Pod, give it a rethink.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pod,
Gus was here first. There isn't a need for two of you.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Hunting will be, if it isn't already, an activity for the very rich and the very poor.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Prithee...what is a "hunting resort"?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.google.com/search?q=lux...=0ahUKEwioweKEnPvMAhVVW1IKHR7pCM8QsAQIGw

---------------------------------------------------------------------

My brothers father-in-law went "hunting" in Michigan every year to a hunting resort fortified with the best of everything . He was a top executive at Procter & Gamble .
Lavish rooms , booze , five star food , beautiful young call girls , tennis , hot tubs heated pool . They didn't tell their wives they were going to a hunting resort , probably worded it a "hunting cabin".

He did bring back a couple of deer to back up his story though , but I doubt he was the one who shot them .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Steven Rinella, nuff said.

Define it as you wish and have the balls to satisfy yourself instead of keeping up with thousands of people you'll never meet and don't matter anyway.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Pod,

Last year I headed up the trail with a 270 and a pack and didn't get back to my truck for 3 days. That's typical for one of my hunting excursions. I was onto elk day one about dark and had to make camp under a tree. At 6 am I was back at it. Tracked Elk all day and got one glimps early morning. This herd was on the move. I spent another night and shot my elk at 9:14 am the next morning. I was around 20 miles from my truck.

This picture is a far cry from the picture you've painted. Where I come from this is more what you'll see. If you don't like what your seeing where you live.....well move to Montana smile

PS The only reason I hunted with a 270 is because I didn't know it was a gay cartridge.

This year I'll shoot my elk with a 6.5 Swede grin

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 05/27/16.

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,687 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,620
Posts18,398,530
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.