24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since you have a tag I would suggest you fill it out. Lots of things to eat this time of year, like fawns, so that bear should be somewhere else. It may be sick or just goofy. We only have bear season in November here in PA.

BP-B2

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Remember, it isn't cute little Winnie the Pooh. smile

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Natural Resources tells us we should try to live in harmony with the bears. I let them try to harmonize with a 405 grain bullet out of my 45-70 after they damage my property. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Bad idea. Relocated bears either return in short order or are killed causing a problem somewhere else.

Kill it and eat it.
That's not true. Sure it does happen, but that's not the norm, it's the exception. At least that's not true for the places I've lived. I've never lived anywhere that had more bear relocations than Lake Tahoe, and the vast majority go on to have normal lives elsewhere. It comes down to where the bears are relocated. If you move them 5 miles down the road to another thickly populated place, well then yeah; it's going to remain a problem bear. But the bears in Tahoe are taken at least 100 miles away and rarely are they ever a problem again.

Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm with Ironbender on the kill it, eat it thought. Relocation rarely works and it's costly.
Plus I'm off the road system not an easy place to have a relocation happen.

Last edited by Elf; 05/26/16.
IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
No bear expert, but I'd be concerned about a bear that's bold enough to come up into a yard full of sled dogs even once.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Elf
When do you consider a bear a nuisance bear?

If it is in my backyard it is definitely a nuisance bear...but then I do live in Australia.

Hello Elf. smile

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Gotta go with IB here. S(eat)S&S.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If it makes a second visit and screws with any of my stuff. That is also the time to initiate some persuasive action.

Last edited by 1minute; 05/26/16.

1Minute
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
No experience, just an observation, they lose fear of me, my family, farm or livestock, they die!

Trump Won!
IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
It's a nuisance when it eats all your porridge. I really like bears too, but another appearance that makes me think something could go wrong (my fault, his fault, nobody's fault...Richard Boone in "Big Jake") and he's dinner and a memory.
If you decide to do it, don't hesitate, just do it.
Best of luck, Annie.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by ironbender
Bad idea. Relocated bears either return in short order or are killed causing a problem somewhere else.

Kill it and eat it.
That's not true. Sure it does happen, but that's not the norm, it's the exception. At least that's not true for the places I've lived. I've never lived anywhere that had more bear relocations than Lake Tahoe, and the vast majority go on to have normal lives elsewhere. It comes down to where the bears are relocated. If you move them 5 miles down the road to another thickly populated place, well then yeah; it's going to remain a problem bear. But the bears in Tahoe are taken at least 100 miles away and rarely are they ever a problem again.

Wow! Just wow!

Let's spend thousands to move a bear from an area so over-populated the state has declared it a predator control area... and put it where? The next predator control area up the road? 100 miles is nothing to a roaming bear...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1minute
If it makes a second visit and screws with any of my stuff.

If he comes back it'll be his 3rd visit.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Sounds like it's time to fill your tag. Third visit IS the charm. Good luck. Sharpen your knife.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
B
BFD Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Why was he there? Is there a lot of loose dog food around?

If he is coming back for something in particular remove the something.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Hi Elf! Toss a couple of shots into the air to see if he takes off! If not, bag him and tag him!

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
B!tch slap him.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BFD
Why was he there? Is there a lot of loose dog food around?

If he is coming back for something in particular remove the something.

No extra dog kibble left out and if one dog doesn't eat all of his it's given to one who will finish it up. Dogs don't get raw bones this time of year either, I don't feed birds and no fish spawning yet.

Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CEJ1895
Hi Elf! Toss a couple of shots into the air to see if he takes off! If not, bag him and tag him!

Shots were fired last night, he took off and I really hope he stays gone but not confident he will remember to stay away. Also had one of my dogs almost nose to nose with him, I heard the bear whisper to the dog...You're a wuss...

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Agree with IB,kill it and eat it.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
662 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 75 invisible), 2,745 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,640
Posts18,399,000
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.