24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just picked up an Ithaca LSA-55 243 bolt action rifle. It seems like a very well made rifle. I had been looking for a one for a long time, but had never seen one in person. I have read good things about them. The scope mount situation is a bit troubling, but I like everything else. It had some scope mounts that looked for all the world like modified rimfire rifle grooved receiver bases. The previous owner said they did not move and held zero perfectly, but I have my doubts.

What can you all tell me about your experiences with this model of rifle and what was your remedy for the scope mount situation?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
BP-B6

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My Ithaca/Tikka came with scope rings. I believe they are standard Tikka rings. Dovetails with a stop on the rear ring to keep them from sliding forward under recoil. Never had any problems with mine.

It's a great rifle. Action size is scaled to cartridge so it's light. The bolt throw is very smooth and true. Great barrel, if in good condition. Much higher quality than what is made today.

The only negative I can say about the rifle is the magazine is rare as hens teeth and I don't know of anyone that makes a replacement system. I wish they took AICS magazines or better yet, an internal magazine and floor plate replacement.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My brother's first CF was a .308 LSA-55 in about 1978. He killed his first dozen bucks with it.

J got magnum fever about '84 and got a 77 .300 and sold the Ithaca Tikkler to a younger cousin down in AL.

That guy still has it and has killed nearly 100 whitetail and Lawd knows how many coyotes & other vermin in the last three decades.

Tried to buy it a couple years ago and he said nope!

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I have an LSA 65.

Mine takes the same Talleys that my Tikka T3s take.

Just FYI

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I remember when those hit the market.. Didn't they make a version chambered for the .222?? My pal bought and Ithaca bolt in .222.. He still has it.. Neat little rifle..

Molon Labe
IC B2

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I picked up a LSA 55 in .222 the other day--the first I have ever seen. It came out of an estate, and the youngest box of reloads in the guy's stash was dated 1995. The bore cleaned up perfectly; I have put a 6.5-20x Leupold on it for testing, but I am betting that it shoots sub .5 MOA. Too bad it is not a lefty.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The early rifles were not drilled and tapped and the dovetails are not tapered. The original mounts work well, but are heavy and too low for most 40mm objectives. I found early Warne QDs, and some redfield mounts that fit the untapped rifles. Also, some mounts are made in OZ. I have extra mags for all of my 55 and 65 model rifles and they don't come easy. Last .243 and .308 mags I saw went for north of $150, so don't lose one! I just picked up an extended magazine for a model 55 in .223 or .222 that hold 5-6 rounds. Now I have the mag, I need to find the rifle!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Stoneybroke
The early rifles were not drilled and tapped and the dovetails are not tapered. The original mounts work well, but are heavy and too low for most 40mm objectives. I found early Warne QDs, and some redfield mounts that fit the untapped rifles. Also, some mounts are made in OZ. I have extra mags for all of my 55 and 65 model rifles and they don't come easy. Last .243 and .308 mags I saw went for north of $150, so don't lose one! I just picked up an extended magazine for a model 55 in .223 or .222 that hold 5-6 rounds. Now I have the mag, I need to find the rifle!

Do you think Warne rings for modern Tikka will fit this rifle? I have some on the way. If they don't fit I am tempted to just have four holes drilled and install some flat Warne bases like for a Marlin 336.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by TnBigBore

Do you think Warne rings for modern Tikka will fit this rifle? I have some on the way. If they don't fit I am tempted to just have four holes drilled and install some flat Warne bases like for a Marlin 336.

Yes, it is an old Tikka LSA and the dovetails are still 5/8" (16mm).

Very good rifle, and surprisingly accurate.

Added...it also means the Sako Tikka optiloks fit as well, they also fit BSA hunter and early Brno 22lr (1,2,3,4,5)

Last edited by JSTUART; 05/26/16.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
My wife now has my LSA 65 in 30-06. I bought it new in 1976. It killed many moose for me and more than a few deer. It has killed a couple moose an a couple deer for my wife. It has probably seen between 50-75 rounds a year for the last 40 years and still shoots real nice groups -- minute of moose or better.

Great little rifle!

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Best friends inherited a somewhat neglected one from his grandfather knowing nothing about them other than he wanted me to look at it. I didn't know the barrel was a Tikka until I saw it and was excited to explain to him what that meant. I took it apart and cleaned a fair amount of copper from it then scrubbed and lubed every part. Trigger was not bad and everything soon felt better overall. I gave him a Weaver K6 and bore sighted using simple line of sight through the bore.

He took it to his lease to sight it in and called me immediately. He was pretty wound up. Said he thought something was seriously wrong because he didn't know where his second and third shot went......at first. You can guess the rest. Looks like they shoot as well as all those other Tikka's folks keep talking about.

Funny but that was his first and only one hole group ever. Up until then had been using ancient scopes despite my proddings and was absolutely floored by the view and brightness of the K6. I don't know who felt better in the end, him or me?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know where there is a NIB, model 65 Deluxe in 30-06. I could buy it, but the wood is really plain. I don't know if there is any collector interest in these?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I know where there is a NIB, model 65 Deluxe in 30-06. I could buy it, but the wood is really plain. I don't know if there is any collector interest in these?

Probably somewhat important if looking at it is the goal, not so much if it is used to shoot with.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Life is too short to hunt with a ugly gun. If there is real collector interest in these Ithaca rifles, NIB means $$$.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
110 members (10gaugeman, 35, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 12 invisible), 1,428 guests, and 688 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,881
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.