Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I'm getting the itch for another LW rig. I'm weighing the pros and cons of each. Seems like in the end, they're both about the same.

Tikka (b/cm) base rifle around $500
CLR base rifle around $500

Elite Hunter or edge for the tikka ~$500 with dealer pricing
NULA mods to CLR ~$650

Both will have factory tubes (edge to Tikka) and custom stock (edge to NULA). If the CLR won't shoot well, I'm looking ~$750 for Mel to re-barrel. If Tikka won't, which I haven't seen, I'm looking ~$400-$500 for barrel job.

Just looking for down input in both, preferably from someone who has both. Are they really about 6 in 1, half dozen in the other, or is there a clear favorite.

How is the action (smoothness) on the CLR.

Chris

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Can't go wrong in either scenario if a 7 to 7 1/4 pound rig all up is lightweight. You could save 1/2 to 3/4 if you run a scope that you don't plan on dialing.

CLR gives you more chasing space and bullet options but at this point, I'd consider a Kimber Montana and come in cheaper and lighter than these two options...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I always forget about the Kimbers. I avoided them for too long bc of the roulette. A buddy is working with a 300 WSM ascent now. His feedback might tip the scale.

I have a sub 7# all up Savage LWH 7-08 with Bettin stock, so I don't mind if this comes in 7.4 or so. I'm willing to trade a bit of weight for a LA and possibly longer barrel.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd go CLR. Less plastic parts in the end.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Mel has a drop in version of his nula stock for the clr for $450ish iirc.

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Montana still win. If I were to gamble on a barrel would prefer the 84 as my diving board.

MtnHtr
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
tarheelpower,

Dunno about the CLR barrel, as I never shot a CLR, since they came and went too fast for me to bother testing one.

But have shot several Tikkas and NULAs extensively, and while the Tikkas have all be accurate, the NULAs have been more accurate, and all had the Douglas barrels Melvin uses.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yep my Tikka is a sub inch,six and half pound rifle. My two rifles from NULA are about a pound lighter and shoot groups that are rarely over half moa.

One is a great factory rifle,the other is one of the very best lightweight customs. Apples and Oranges.

I'd let Melvin put a stock and barrel on yout CLR action,and never look back.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I think I'd wait out the Barretts.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If one can't kill with an out the box T3.....something must be wrong....not the gun.

All choices are capable. An S2 Vanguard is also a solid choice as well IME - not a featherweight but if restocking anyways....you can save weight.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
tarheelpower,

Dunno about the CLR barrel, as I never shot a CLR, since they came and went too fast for me to bother testing one.

But have shot several Tikkas and NULAs extensively, and while the Tikkas have all be accurate, the NULAs have been more accurate, and all had the Douglas barrels Melvin uses.

I've had four CLRs, 2 each in 270 and 30-06. All four were good shooters, all sub-MOA with the right load, and 3 of the 4 sub-MOA with Hornady American Whitetail factory loads.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I like those Whitetail loads. Kids gun loves them.

I guess I would rather have a grand in a Montana than the Tikka. The Montana fits me well.

MtnHtr
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
That comment about a grand makes sense. Seems like the lined out their roulette. Makes more sense to do Montana or have Mel take care of the CLR for a few bucks more when you look at what you're ending up with for the money.

Is Barrett putting out a new LW?

Last edited by tarheelpwr; 05/26/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Chris,

I've had two 30-06's and a 300 WM CLR. One 30-06 and the 300 WM both would shoot 0.80" to 1.00", hard to find anything they wouldn't shoot very well. The other '06 was more of a one inch up to approx. 1.2" gun.

Was chasing lightweight and ended up with Montana's. Also got tired of the recoil from the 300 WM (It weighed 6#-1 oz. bare as I put it in a Bansner Sheep Hunter stock that I altered to fit, the CLR's in factory trim weigh 6#-9 oz.).

I had a Tikka T3 SuperLite, just had to see what the fanboys saw in them. In spite of all the plastic I liked it a lot. In spite of the one action length fits all, I liked it a lot. In spite of the removable magazines... I actually like the Tikka magazines (a lot).

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have been happy with the CLR and just now am getting ready to upgrade to a NULA stock.

Barret just confirmed their production of the Forbs Rifle last week. https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/5/20/barrett-announces-fieldcraft-hunting-rifle/

A nice option in stainless.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Lefties will rejoice.

W

MtnHtr
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tejano
I have been happy with the CLR and just now am getting ready to upgrade to a NULA stock.

Barret just confirmed their production of the Forbs Rifle last week. https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/5/20/barrett-announces-fieldcraft-hunting-rifle/

A nice option in stainless.

Hopefully 3rd time is a charm.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I think o answered my own question. Stopped by Cabela's and they had a CLR. I wouldn't be happy as is. It would require a tube up from day one. Seems like they're ranked like this for me:

Tikka or SL in the $500 range.
Montana in the $1000 range

After that, I'm not sure I'd be happy with a NULA tuned CLR unless it drastically improved the feel. Bolt handle was also VERY tiny. THE base was pretty rough. I'm sure Mel works it all, but I think you're better off going custom once you start pushing $1600-$2000.

Does Mel's tube up improve the action as well?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Why would you assume that a CLR would need a new barrel?

The four that I've had have all been capable of MOA or better accuracy in their factory configuration.

I'd agree that the bolt handle on the CLR is pretty small, but they haven't bothered me in the least, but I don't care for "tactical" style bolt handles. I have always hunted with the idea that my first shot opportunity is likely to be my best shot opportunity, so I'd better make it count!

The mounts should be Talleys.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It all depends on what degree of accuracy somebody wants. NULA big game rifles normally shooting 1/2" or less for 3-shot groups at 100 yards, without a lot of effort.

The Talley mounts are entirely appropriate to a CLR, as they're the mount Melvin Forbes designed for the NULA. At first they were produced by another company strictly for NULA's, but when Talley took over the NULA mount production they started making them for other rifles as well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 77 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,121
Posts18,464,584
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.