Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bought a brick a few months ago, as the price was right at a local store, and I try to keep some of all brands on hand for article testing. All the reports I'd heard about Winchesters leaking at a "corner" of the cup were about Large Rifle primers, but today I used some while trying different primers with the same bullet and powder charge of a .17 Hornet load.

The third round sprung a pinhole leak at the corner of the primer at the edge of the pocket, spraying powder residue and hot gas over the case head. Oh, and the shot was a flier, two inches to the left of the main (small) group. NONE of the other primers had any problems, even a soft-cupped Tula (Russian) primer designed for lower-pressure rounds like the .17 and .22 Hornet. According to Hornady, the charge of A1680 was under max for the 20-grain V-Max.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've read a few similar accounts involving Winchester small rifle primers---the copper colored ones.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I've had it happen a number of times with Large Rifle and Large Pistol, but never with either of the small primers.

Got a picture of the primer? Did it crack the side of the cup like this, or is it a different failure mode?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I've read a few similar accounts involving Winchester small rifle primers---the copper colored ones.

Has Winchester ever made copper colored primers?

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yondering,

It's like the hole on the second photo, which is exactly what I've seen in the samples friends have of the defective LR primers. There's no crack in the side of the primer cup.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
The crack can be hard to see, but it is the cause of the common WLR primer issue. The brittle cup cracks, gas leaks through the crack, causing the hole. Of course, you have to remove the primer to see the crack; it's only on the side of the cup not the back.

For clarification, both those pictures show the same primer.

I've experienced holes in old CCI 500 small pistol primers, but no cracks. In that case, the hole was from corrosion of the old primers, not brittle cups.

Which do you think yours is?

Last edited by Yondering; 05/26/16.
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
I decapped the primer upon returning from the range. There's no crack on the side, just the pinhole on the "corner."

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've not had any issue with Winchester SRP, just the large ones.

And those I did have leak were at pressures above 31 to 32 Kpsi. I had some .45-70 loads at that pressure with no trouble, but my M1 ruptured several with a load at 42 Kpsi.

I, lately, have gotten somewhat "gunshy" of WW components.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Yondering

Yes, they do now. Changed it up a couple of years ago, I guess.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It became a common complaint in the high power community at the time Winchester stopped plating small rifle primers. Except, if I remember correctly, they were blanking and burning firing pin tips.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Jb, been using them off and on all week around Augusta in a 223 with no problems. BTW other guys are hunting bears up here did you get one? Muddy .

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Yondering

Yes, they do now. Changed it up a couple of years ago, I guess.

Are you confusing copper with brass? All non-plated Winchester primers I've seen are brass, not copper.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's why I said "copper colored."

Don't be the darkness.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You must be color blind, I've never seen brass that in any way looked "copper colored". While I have never shot any Winchester small rifle primers I have fired thousands upon thousands of Winchester large pistol and large rifle primers without issues of any kind.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
JB, Wife and I use WW brass colored primers in our PD town 223 rifles. Many thousands have been fired over the last few years and we have never encountered any problems of any kind. Large rifle std and Mag is a whole different story. Maybe yours is just a one off event bad primer.

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's what I'm beginning to suspect. Will try them some more in other rounds. They weren't the winner anyway in the .17 Hornet.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
How much do these "leaks" mess up the bolt face? I have a few thousand WLR primers, from 2015.

They're non-silvery for sure.
[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
They will pit the bolt face in a ring around the primer pocket. On most guns, if it happens just a couple times it's not too serious, but if you keep using them it could destroy the bolt face.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Do some color blind people actually see copper and brass as the same color? Not being color blind myself, I assumed everyone could separate those two, especially gun people who see bullets and brass regularly, but now I'm wondering.

This isn't the first time someone on the 'fire has referred to Win primers as copper colored.

Last edited by Yondering; 05/27/16.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have had that with Winchester SR primers .Only 2 of about 500 I ran in my AR.Same as the lower pic,but a lot dirtier.

Last edited by Huntz; 05/27/16.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 163bc, 49 invisible), 2,227 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,606
Posts18,454,857
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.