Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
they will all be nitrogen and phosphorus might need to add lime as well depending on ph

GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by muffin
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Around here the most popular bagged fertilizer is 10-10-10, followed by 19-19-19. I will buy 6-24-24 when I can find it, and then buy a nitrogen fertilizer to use on sweet corn and tomatoes.

And now we're right back to buying multiple bags of fertilizer for a dozen or so plants....
I've read that tomato plants like nitrogen but why not just buy something with a higher percentage of nitrogen...or is it detrimental to other plants like roses...

UHHhhh! 10-10-10-or 19-19-19.... two bags are not needed, there the same, just use two scoops or a half a scoop???????

Might want to read JJr's post again and then edit yours.....

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Got it.............thanks!

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Compost tea.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Lime first to get pH correct. After that it's whatever you choose. Licensed pesticide and fertilizer rep. 10-10-10
10-20-10. 8-3-5. Don't matter for what little you need. Seriously 50 lbs at $60 is your yearly budget. Lime first. You can not over lime.

Can't make this sh%t up
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ejwheaties
Lime first to get pH correct. After that it's whatever you choose. Licensed pesticide and fertilizer rep. 10-10-10
10-20-10. 8-3-5. Don't matter for what little you need. Seriously 50 lbs at $60 is your yearly budget. Lime first. You can not over lime.

Well, that last statement made me laugh. Obviously, you don't know much about soils other than your own. You are in PA, where the soil is acidic - you add the lime to get the pH up. I live in South Texas and add acid to my soil to get the pH down. If you add lime to my pH 8 soil, you won't grow anything, it would be like you adding more acid to your soil.

Last edited by BRISTECD; 05/16/16.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Lime is a neutralizer. Your pH is low with acidic soil. PH is high with alkaline soil. Lime is a great place to start. Penn State has a world known turf program. Cornell isn't to shabby either.

Last edited by ejwheaties; 05/26/16.

Can't make this sh%t up
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
He didn't say anything about PH but the guy at the co-op said pretty much the same thing ej and others have said which was to use some lime (especially when planting) and then fertilize with a simple multi purpose like 10-10-10, etc.....
He wanted to sell me a pallet or two of the stuff but I didn't need quite that much..ha..so I picked up a bag of lime and some 16-16-16 (that's all they had) at Bi-Mart....That was about a week ago and nothings died yet...

FWIW....the soil around here must benefit from lime because every garden dept I've been to has a stack of the stuff right up front...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Fertilizer numbers reflect % of N-P-K.....Nitrogen - Phosphorous - Potassium

Nitrogen (N) encourages green growth.

Phosphorous (P) encourages flower and fruit growth.

Potassium (K) encourages root development.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Anything Boxer says should fertilize just about anything you would want to grow in any condition you would encounter...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Fertilizer numbers reflect % of N-P-K.....Nitrogen - Phosphorous - Potassium

Nitrogen (N) encourages green growth.

Phosphorous (P) encourages flower and fruit growth.

Potassium (K) encourages root development.

Thanks....Captain Obvious.... grin

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Some folks don't know which nutrient benefits which situation. I'm guessing you do!

Many, many years ago I had added horse manure (pretty fresh) to a tomato patch only to find out that my incredibly awesomely green plants would not make fruit. Too much N, not enough P and K.

Found this online which is the point i was trying to make:

When to add nutrients during the tomato season

Once a plant is established in the garden, a phosphate-concentrated application (such as 0-46-0 commercial fertilizer) every 6-8 weeks increases tomato production.

, with an analysis of 4-12-0, is a good organic source of phosphorus. When a tomato plant sets fruit, start a systematic fertilization program and feed every three weeks until frost.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I was just funning ya bud. I don't take this gardening thing as seriously as a lot of guys around here but from what I've read your break down is spot on, and like others have said "a soils test is required to know what the right balance of the three ingredients is".. That just seems like over kill for a half dozen Tomato and Rose plants.
The equally balanced stuff that I started using due to the recommendations here and at the local co-op may not be very scientific but it's as simple as I am and all of my plants have definitely perked up and greened up since I started using it so I'm happy.....

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I was just funning ya bud.

I know you were. That's what I get for trying to be helpful instead of snarky! grin

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I'm glad you made out well. Yes people want to push it pretty heavy. Here we suggest a ton per acre until it hits the proper pH. Along with ph, a soil sample will tell you what your soil is lacking. N.P. K. But for what you are planting, I wax hoping to keep you under $60. You should be fine. Next year just do the same. Lime a little and ask a farm store what local soil is lacking. The guy who remarked on my comment has more college

Can't make this sh%t up
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lime is only a neutralizer if the soil is already below 7 on the ph scale. It won't neutralize a basic soil. Lowering the ph of a high ph soil is usually pretty tough because of the lime already there. High ph soils benefit most with inputs of organic matter and proper watering.

Taking a soil test is as complicated as putting some dirt in a ziplock and sending it to a lab. I use ward labs. It costs about $15

Soil tests will tell more than just ph.

What native plants are growing there? Is it forested or sagebrush or greasewood?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
I was just funning ya bud.

I know you were. That's what I get for trying to be helpful instead of snarky! grin

LOL....yea...sometimes we forget we're at the 'Fire....

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Ive always used 10-10-10 and chicken $hit in the garden and 19-19-19 for grass and hay I will tell you a secret for the tomatoes get some powdered milk and mix it strong and spray the whole plant when they start to bloom you will see a big difference.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by earlybrd
I will tell you a secret for the tomatoes get some powdered milk and mix it strong and spray the whole plant when they start to bloom you will see a big difference.

Gonna try that....mine are just starting to bloom....thanks....

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
My 90 yr old aunt told me about it and I been doing it for the last two years we've had really wet springs and summers and it keeps the blight and disease away.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 1Longbow, 56 invisible), 2,673 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,021
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.