Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
It sounds to me like she was in way over her head as far as having any survival skills. So she did what she had been told--which is when you're lost just stay put until someone finds you. Not a bad plan really.

I just don't see how someone starves to death in 26 days. Even without food, it would be rare to starve out in that time. Also, a desperately hungry person usually starts finding something to eat in the woods, even it were only crickets and worms and such.

And no sign of a fire? Why wouldn't even the most ignorant person light up a fire and try to smoke in some help?

Six decades ago (in boy Scouts), I was told that one could generally survive 3 days without water and 30 days without food.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The moral of the story...

Does a bear schit in the woods?

Why yes. Yes, it does....ON THE TRAIL! grin

(Hint)

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
M
M
If she was stupid, so was everyone involved with her Search & Rescue. She was in a tent a half mile from the trail and none of the highly trained and experienced searchers ever found her. Maybe any of us would have made it out under the circumstances, maybe not. But we'll never know because none of us were there.

If it had been so easy for her to walk out, why didn't anyone walk in and save her? From the comments in this thread, I suspect few have ever experienced being well and truly lost

Last edited by MistWolf; 05/26/16.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I think it would be hard to pass judgement without knowing all the facts like previous health history, possible injuries on the hike, ect. A couple of wrong turns, wet matches, a sprained ankle or broken limb and you can be toast in no time. We'd all like to think that we could make it out alive if in a similar situation but we might be surprised at how few of us would if faced with some setbacks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A lot of people who are unfamiliar with the Eastern woods, the Applachians in particular, have no idea how thick the woods are. Pretty much everywhere is filled with rhododendron or mountain laurel, and foilage and vegetation otherwise so thick as to be unable to see more than 100 yards. The exception is during the winter when leaves are off the trees. Even then, there is more contour and relief in the geology than the Rocky Mtns. Long distance views are rare.
It is easy to get "turned around" if you venture off a trail. But a lot of the landscape is so think it is difficult to even travel unless there is a trail.

Having been out west, it is relatively easy to use a map and compass, do a small amount of triagulation and figure out where you are. Assuming that is, you have enough understanding to even use a map and compass. My way of thinking is rather than get lost, be constantly aware of where you ARE in the first place.

Having said that, it is bothersome that this person's death would be blamed on stupidity. Ignorance perhaps. Obviously she was woefully unprepared to be in the woods alone and certainly unprepared for an emergency.
Perhaps that is stupid.

Unlike out west, there is precious little landscape in the Applachians that is more than 10 miles from some type of road. Realistically you could shorten that distance to 5 miles. Walk in a relatively straight line and you're going to hit a trail or road in a few miles.

Sounds to me like she just was totally unprepared, ignorant and mentally, just shut down.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
From an article:
Ms. Largay had left the trail in one its most rugged sections, with thick underbrush and fir trees packed so tightly they almost seem to merge.

“You step off the trail 20 or 50 feet and turn around, it’s very difficult to see where the trail was,” said Douglas Dolan, 53, a volunteer who spent time last summer doing trail maintenance in the area. “If you didn’t know which way the trail was, you could easily walk in circles for hours.”

I also read that her tent was black. It would have been almost impossible to spot it from the air in that stuff.

She suffered from anxiety attacks and her former hiking partner said she had a lousy sense of direction. If she didn't have a compass, it wouldn't be a bit hard for her to get just a little bit off the trail and freak out.

The brain can do some weird stuff when you're frightened. Years ago, one of my dad's co-workers got lost while hunting in so. Idaho. This is very open country compared to Maine. This guy was lost for about a week. He freaked out. He later said that at one point he stood on a ridge top and saw cars on a road below him but his brain was fried and he went the opposite direction.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Ringman
I feel sorry for the guys who found her rotten skeleton, that is one image they will never get out of their minds.

This is interesting to me. Maybe it's because I'm old, I don't know. To find a rotten skeleton would not bother me at all, except my concern for the family who lost a loved one.

Really? That is because you have never found a rotten skeleton.
When I was a paramedic, we had a guy go missing on the river. Found him 10 months later, he had been swept 8 miles downstream and snagged up on a log in the river. Still had the tennis shoe on but there was a skeleton foot inside. Blue jeans pretty much intact. A little dried muscle and gristle still on the skull, catfish had eaten his eyes.

That was 30 years ago and I am still trying to forget it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Great article. Makes it obvious that she wasn't mentally up to the challenge. Weakness has it's consequences.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
.......the brain can do weird stuff...

Guess we'll never know and there is much that makes no sense in this story.

It could be that the lady suffered a stroke of some sort. I have had a little experience with stroke affected people and they do odd things and they do not reason correctly. In one cases the person did not realize he had had a stroke. It was that everything "just got so confusing."

Maybe old folks need "minders."

TF

Last edited by TF49; 05/26/16.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
simonkenton7,

You are imputing to others your experience. I asked my daughter and son-in-law. My daughter got a little squeamish but my s-i-l said he felt about like me.

About forgetting it. I wouldn't try to forget it. It would be one of my unusual memories.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've totally lost my sense of direction, twice, so I can see if she went off trail far enough not to be able to see trail, and wasn't paying attention, how she could get turned around quite easily. BUT still don't see how after that many days she wasn't able to walk into a trail or road some where.
And watching the northwoods show, there certainly was no lack of search effort put in to find her. Amazes me that with as much effort as they put in that they didn't find her. Almost makes me think she didn't want to be found.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
TRnCO: Yes, it makes me think she didn't want to be found. Hell, she had a tent, she didn't have matches. Couldn't light a fire and burn it all night?

Very fishy story.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Article said there was evidence that she at least tried to start fires. Charred trees, etc, but not real specific on the details.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MistWolf
If she was stupid, so was everyone involved with her Search & Rescue. She was in a tent a half mile from the trail and none of the highly trained and experienced searchers ever found her. Maybe any of us would have made it out under the circumstances, maybe not. But we'll never know because none of us were there.

If it had been so easy for her to walk out, why didn't anyone walk in and save her? From the comments in this thread, I suspect few have ever experienced being well and truly lost

If they didn't know which section of the trail she was on, it would be more difficult to search thoroughly

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The links birdwatcher provided give some very interesting insights. It would be interesting to see a topo map of the exact location her tent and body was found in relation to not only the a-trail, but as well as any roads located with in the water shed she was in.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by MistWolf

If they didn't know which section of the trail she was on, it would be more difficult to search thoroughly

I've been in places so thick a person could be within 20 feet and not be visible. Hell I've had trouble finding deer that I KNEW were just yards from me in the thick stuff.

If her tent hadn't of coincidently been directly in the site line of the surveyor she would still be out there....

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Trail runs north South, Sun goes East to West (generally speaking) Should take no more than a sunrise to find your way.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Here's a map of the trail through ME. She was about 200 miles from it's end but that doesn't locate it very close. There's a lot of twisting and turning in there and on a larger scale map we'd see a lot more. She was last seen about 5 hrs before she left the trail at a shelter where some people took pics of her. She moved pretty slow so she was probably within 10 or 15 miles of the shelter when she got lost. Maybe someone on here can pinpoint the shelter for us.

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I went to the Appalachian Trail conservancy web site and looked up the position of the shelter she stayed at the night before she got lost. From there I went to google earth and found the trail but that's all and just an approximation. From the ATC map with contours and the photo from google earth, It looks to me as though if she had pointed her toes down hill and walked, crawled, dragged herself about two miles DOWN HILL she'd have found a road. Period. I don't know what her problem was, and I'm sorry for the families grief.
[Linked Image]

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The map kinda blows the trail running north and south deal.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 61 invisible), 2,606 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,603
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.