Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks 405wcf. Already had the sticks ready. Might try a Series V though!

"Honey, when I die, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them."
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I like the Jim Beam bourbons starting with the Black Label and going from there.

The white label is fine for mixing.

Fan of the Wild Turkey bourbons as well.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by cooper57m
Thankfully there are lots of decent bourbons to try. The fun part is sampling them and figuring out if you like wheated bourbons, high or low rye bourbons and what age you typically like.

For a beginner, I would suggest you try a nice wheated bourbon like Maker's Mark, WL Wellers Special Reserve or Wellers Antique 107 or Larceny. All pretty smooth and sweet.

Don't give up on your Bookers yet. There is nothing wrong with adding a couple teaspoons of water (or more) to your taste to cut the heat. Also, let it sit for 10 min. before you drink it.

Other readily available and affordable good bourbons to try in no particular order:

Four Roses Small Batch, Four Roses Single Barrel, Jim Beam Single Barrel, Evan William Single Barrel, Russell's Reserve, Henry McKenna, Elijah Craig 12 yr., Eagle Rare 10 yr. Bulleit and Bulleit 10yr., Rowan's Creek, Noah's Mill and Michter's Small Batch. That's a good start. At times, some may be hard to find. Like now, I can't seem to find any of the Weller products out there. I just finished off a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch and really enjoyed it. I'm now working on an Evan Williams Single Barrel 2006 and enjoying it too.

I would recommend staying away from the pricey craft distillery products as they are mostly just ok, tend to be young, and a poor value. The only one I've liked was the Hillrock Solera Aged Bourbon and it was very pricey. Again, add water if it's too hot or just to see how it changes the flavors. Start with a couple drops all the way to 2-3 teaspoons of water for the real high proof stuff. For my taste, bourbon in the 90 proof range is about perfect and 8-10 years of age, when you can find a bourbon with an age statement anymore. They are getting fewer and fewer.

Remember this packaging? I believe it's what put me onto good sipping whiskey many years ago.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Joseywales
Horse left the barn, as I'm back from the store. I picked up Bookers and a sampler of Woodford. Haven't tried them yet. For scotch, I was spoiled by a customer, who had me try Macallan 18. I really liked it and the next month it jump $40 in price. The 15 and the 12 I don't care for. Glenlivet 18 is ok. I don't like a real smokey taste. Smooth is probably most important. So what bourbons do you recommend? Or scotch for that matter.

Some that have been recommended:
Blantons
Basil Hayden
Stagg

W.L. Weller's is the best value bourbon out there. About $16-18 if you can find it.

[Linked Image]

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I still like my Old Fitzgerald. I fear that Heaven Hill is going to stop making the product.
It is not widely distributed any more. I will be in Virginia in July, and can swing into Kentucky. Called a few stores in Eastern KY, and located some product. I'll pick that up, and a case should last me the rest of my life.
I don't drink much anymore.

Sam......

IC B2

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
High test bourbon bourbon should be cut with water, aka bourbon and branch. I like Woodford Reserve. That is bourbon, as opposed to the syruped stuff like Maker's Mark. If you just want smooth and are not stuck on a purist's bourbon, try Clyde May's. It's bourbon distilled in KY, but they flavour it for green apple and call it Alabama whiskey. it's only about 45 proof. Goes down so smooth you have to watch it.

For smoking I like Scotch. Glenfiddich and Johnny Walker Black are reliably good enough without breaking the bank.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Another vote here for Eagle Rare. I've been stocking up on it. Great value for a 10-yr old at about $26-$28/bottle.

Blanton's also gets my vote, but hard to find here.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Henry Mckenna, Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace are some I like and would gladly recommend. My wife gave me some Old Forester and it's pretty good also.

I don't eat anything that didn't have a mother.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OP, do yourself a favor and pick up a bottle of eagle rare. An absolute fantastic bourbon for the money. I've found many bottles better than bourbon that costs twice what it does.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
One that has yet to be mentioned that really is good to me is Bib & Tucker. I don't share it with very many.

I didn't care for Buffalo trace at all.

For general have on hand type whiskey I like Makers Mark, Makers 46 even better, Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve. Bookers and Old Grandad are very good, as was the papered Old Forrester.

Scotch for me is Balvenie Double Wood, Dalwhinnie 15, typically but Balvenie 21 Port Wood is my splurge.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by mathman
Pour a bit and gradually adjust the proof down with small additions of still spring water until it suits your palate. Do not use ice.

I'm different here - I do use ice, not poured over ice but a cube or 2 depending on size. To me, just the right amount of water added and not enough ice to make it cold, just cool.

I bought some of the whiskey rocks a while back - guess I should give them a try and just add spring water to taste. At least I'd look more sophisticated that way... haha!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Pour a bit and gradually adjust the proof down with small additions of still spring water until it suits your palate. Do not use ice.

SNORK!!!!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
FYI Costco's Kirkland Bourbon is made by Buffalo Trace.

Good traditional bourbons generally come from the middle floors of the warehouse and are aged 7-9 years. That includes Buffalo Trace, Weller Reserve and Weller Antique.

Eagle Rare 10 has won more double gold medals than any other 10 yr old Bourbon.

Blantons is only 6 yrs old and tastes like it to me. Elmer T Lee (same mash bill) is slightly older and much better tasting.

Stagg Jr. Is the same mash bill as Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare but is aged a minimum of 12 years and bottled at barrel proof. My current bottle is 129.7 proof and I can open it up with a little water to my taste. Wonderful Bourbon.

Buffalo Trace, Brown Forman (Woodford Reserve, Old Forester) and Heaven Hill are all American owned. All the rest of the Kentucky distilleries are foreign owned.

Yes, I work for Buffalo Trace and I'm proud of it. Two of my ancestors owned distilleries in Anderson and Mercer Counties in the 19th century and my dad printed all of Jim Beam's labels from the 1940s through the 1970s.

Everyone's palate is different. The Bourbon you like is the Bourbon you like. Keep tasting!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by TXRam

I'm different here - I do use ice, not poured over ice but a cube or 2 depending on size. To me, just the right amount of water added and not enough ice to make it cold, just cool.

I bought some of the whiskey rocks a while back - guess I should give them a try and just add spring water to taste. At least I'd look more sophisticated that way... haha!

Don't chill the spirit.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by ingwe

SNORK!!!!

Spring water lessens the intensity, ice ruins the flavor. Get with it man!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Tag. Bookers for me.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by KyWindageII
FYI Costco's Kirkland Bourbon is made by Buffalo Trace.

Good traditional bourbons generally come from the middle floors of the warehouse and are aged 7-9 years. That includes Buffalo Trace, Weller Reserve and Weller Antique.

Eagle Rare 10 has won more double gold medals than any other 10 yr old Bourbon.

Blantons is only 6 yrs old and tastes like it to me. Elmer T Lee (same mash bill) is slightly older and much better tasting.

Stagg Jr. Is the same mash bill as Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare but is aged a minimum of 12 years and bottled at barrel proof. My current bottle is 129.7 proof and I can open it up with a little water to my taste. Wonderful Bourbon.

Buffalo Trace, Brown Forman (Woodford Reserve, Old Forester) and Heaven Hill are all American owned. All the rest of the Kentucky distilleries are foreign owned.

Yes, I work for Buffalo Trace and I'm proud of it. Two of my ancestors owned distilleries in Anderson and Mercer Counties in the 19th century and my dad printed all of Jim Beam's labels from the 1940s through the 1970s.

Everyone's palate is different. The Bourbon you like is the Bourbon you like. Keep tasting!

Lots of good info here, thanks for posting. Buffaloe Trace is a great tour if you have some time.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wild Turkey 101 is my everyday bourbon. For special occasions, I like Wild Turkey's Rare Breed.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ingwe

SNORK!!!!

Spring water lessens the intensity, ice ruins the flavor. Get with it man!

I'm Irish.

Do you think it really matters to me? grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kinda funny sometimes reading about the 'proper' way to drink ones own whiskey. It comes up in every thread about whiskey. Some folks make a 'ceremony' outta drinkin' a glass of whiskey...just as some folks make a 'ceremony' outta cleaning a gun. If that's what they wanna do...that's their choice. Seems like a fella oughta drink his own whiskey the way 'he' likes it.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
94 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 13 invisible), 1,717 guests, and 698 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,724
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.