Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I have owned my rifle for the past 14 years and until last fall have not had a single issue. Disclaimer i only use factory ammunition. I shot my rifle and the bolt would not open. Took it to the gunsmith and he polished the chamber. Got it back took it to the range fired 6 slow shots bolt wont open. Take it back gunsmith says the handle seperated from the the rest of the bolt welded back in place. Go to the range and it freezes again. Back to the gunsmith and he opens up the chamber a bit. Back to the range and after 3 shots bolt freezes again. I can pull up the handle up but the bolt wont come back. No trouble chambering any of the rounds from the beginning. I'm stumped and apparently so is the smith who I will mention is well respected in the Denver area. What could cause this?

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Is it a Winchester model 70?
If so make sure the bolt is fully rotating......the whole bolt including body.
I had this issue last year.
Don't fire it either, it could be the bolt body does not rotate along with the handle.
If that happens you could actually fire it (because it thinks it's in battery) and send the bolt back through your head.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Make and model, etc.?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Is this a specific lot number of ammo that you have used before? Also, I believe that the polishing of the chamber would only increase bolt thrust which would make the problem worse

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
It would help a ton to know what make/model this rifle is..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Remington 700

R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Check to be sure your bolt handle is positioned properly on the bolt. If it was welded on too far back you will have lost primary extraction. The bolt will open but it is not cammed back by the extraction cam on the rear of the receiver bridge ( 10:00 O'clock). Measure the gap between the front of the bolt handle flange and the rear edge of the bridge when the bolt is closed and locked. The closer the better. Max gap of 0.050" is tolerable. If it is near 0.100, you have no appreciable primary extraction to break the fired cartridge case loose.

RAN

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
RAN the bolt would not open or come back on any of the occasions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Let Remington figure it out.

1Minute
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+10 but they may say you messed with it and are screwed.

Extraction never a strong suite w/700s but:

Find a different bolt that headspaces correctly (most 700s are within specs interchangable) and try it.

Try different brands of ammo.

Do a chamber cast to see if chamber has defects.

All of these your, "well respected" smith should have already tried.

I'm sure folks on here can suggest a top drawer 700 smith that can analyze and fix your problem.

That's why when it comes to Remington, I stick with 721/2/5 rifles.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I think I'd stop using that factory ammo and find another smith to look at it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by popesixtus
Find a different bolt that headspaces correctly (most 700s are within specs interchangable) and try it.

REALLY! shocked

I wouldn't bet the farm on that.

Play it safe, send it to a reputable 'smith.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Larry Root strikes again. And still wonders why everyone tells him GFY! What a dipchit.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RAN
Check to be sure your bolt handle is positioned properly on the bolt. If it was welded on too far back you will have lost primary extraction. The bolt will open but it is not cammed back by the extraction cam on the rear of the receiver bridge ( 10:00 O'clock). Measure the gap between the front of the bolt handle flange and the rear edge of the bridge when the bolt is closed and locked. The closer the better. Max gap of 0.050" is tolerable. If it is near 0.100, you have no appreciable primary extraction to break the fired cartridge case loose.

RAN
That... The primary extraction cam on the 700 is pretty 'Mickey Mouse', IMHO - compared to other rifles which have a much more beefier system..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Why did he polish the chamber?

Why did he open up the chamber a bit?

If your gunsmith didn't figure this out but fooled with the chamber, time to get another gunsmith.

Handle separated from the bolt and you didn't notice??

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockdoc
Why did he polish the chamber?

Why did he open up the chamber a bit?

If your gunsmith didn't figure this out but fooled with the chamber, time to get another gunsmith.

Handle separated from the bolt and you didn't notice??

Pretty amazing to me...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by popesixtus
+10 but they may say you messed with it and are screwed.

Extraction never a strong suite w/700s but:

Try different brands of ammo.

Do a chamber cast to see if chamber has defects.

All of these your, "well respected" smith should have already tried.

I'm sure folks on here can suggest a top drawer 700 smith that can analyze and fix your problem.

That's why when it comes to Remington, I stick with 721/2/5 rifles.

Yeah right, the 700 is so inferior to the 721...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by RAN

RAN
That... The primary extraction cam on the 700 is pretty 'Mickey Mouse', IMHO - compared to other rifles which have a much more beefier system..

Properly timed it is not a terrible system...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (Ashworth, 35, Bigd7378, 7mm_Loco, 11 invisible), 1,414 guests, and 837 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,256
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.