Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One things' for certain, there's a lot less meat on the front shoulders than the rear shoulders.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I still just don't see what some people have against lung shots...unless our definitions of "lung shots" differ. I always aim tight behind the shoulder (assuming a perfectly broadside shot) and almost always produce a kill with a 0 to 30ish yard death run. I've seen that happen plenty of times with shoulders taken out too. Critters almost always shovel plow forward 10 or so yards when punched through the shoulders IME...so the DRT situation is actually more common on a tight behind the shoulder shot than a center punched shoulder shot, for me at least.

When you all say "lung shot" are you referring to a shot several inches behind the shoulder?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by hanco
I always shoot them dead square in the shoulders. I have never had to look for one. I know I'm going to catch flak for saying that.....

Not from me.... smile

Bullets that handle those shot s are a good idea.

Nor me.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Me either, drill them in the shoulders.

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One things' for certain, there's a lot less meat on the front shoulders than the rear shoulders.

True. sick Poor word choice.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's OK! Many have discussed the front shoulders of big game animals, and probably even squirrels and rabbits, inculding editors of well-known national hunting magazines.... :-)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by gunner500

Amen....my first choice every time if possible.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by gunner500

Amen....my first choice every time if possible.

You bet JG, I'll gladly donate a handful of fajita meat for a quick death and no to very little tracking. wink

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It depends on the bullet as to whether the shoulder shot is ethical or not, IMO. A shoulder or shoulders deliberately shot with a C&C bullet proves you have no regard for a big game animal.

A monolithic will do far less meat damage and produce the same immediate drop when shot right through the shoulders...

Not knowing the difference is telling...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
It depends on the bullet as to whether the shoulder shot is ethical or not, IMO. A shoulder or shoulders deliberately shot with a C&C bullet proves you have no regard for a big game animal.

A monolithic will do far less meat damage and produce the same immediate drop when shot right through the shoulders...

Well, It is nice to know that after all of these years, I just found out that I have no regard for big game animals. How does a quick death show lack of regard?

That is stupid statement.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A shoulder or shoulders deliberately shot with a C&C bullet proves you have no regard for a big game animal.

I agree that is a stupid statement...much too broad. There are lots of different sizes of big game animals. And there are lots of different CnC bullets.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It took me 20+ years to recover a 7mm Speer 160g Grand Slam, a quality C&C bullet but C&C nevertheless. They kept going through the deer and elk. (And a few coyotes, prairie dogs and antelope.)

When I did finally recover one it had destroyed both shoulder joints of a 5x5 bull, putting him straight down on the ground.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those old style grand slams are bad ass.

I got about 130 or so of the .308 200 grainers left for my .300 H&H.

They'll straight up knock a bull's dick in the dirt.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sbhooper

Well, It is nice to know that after all of these years, I just found out that I have no regard for big game animals. How does a quick death show lack of regard?

The meat loss due to a C&C through the shoulder is ridiculous compared to a monolithic. I doubt you have seen the difference if you do not understand what I stated.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by southtexas
A shoulder or shoulders deliberately shot with a C&C bullet proves you have no regard for a big game animal.

I agree that is a stupid statement...much too broad. There are lots of different sizes of big game animals. And there are lots of different CnC bullets.

There is no doubt many C&C bullets will go completely though both shoulders and kill quickly and humanely... the meat wasted in the process is so much more than a monolithic there is no comparison.

If you have not seen it you may want to consider rethinking my "stupid statement."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

It took me 20+ years to recover a 7mm Speer 160g Grand Slam, a quality C&C bullet but C&C nevertheless. They kept going through the deer and elk. (And a few coyotes, prairie dogs and antelope.)

When I did finally recover one it had destroyed both shoulder joints of a 5x5 bull, putting him straight down on the ground.

I used Speer bullets for decades and have put a lot of meat on the ground with them. They do terrible things to meat when placed through the shoulders.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by southtexas

There is no doubt many C&C bullets will go completely though both shoulders and kill quickly and humanely... the meat wasted in the process is so much more than a monolithic there is no comparison.

If you have not seen it you may want to consider rethinking my "stupid statement."

I dang near lost an entire mature buck shot with a TSX. Very small exit hole. Zero blood trail. He made a 90 degree turn after entering the brush. Stumbled across him about a hour later just by luck. He had gone about 200 yards. Very little meat damage. Almost a lot of meat loss. But I guess I had high regard for the animal because I used a mono...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by sbhooper

The meat loss due to a C&C through the shoulder is ridiculous compared to a monolithic. I doubt you have seen the difference if you do not understand what I stated.

We understand perfectly well what you stated. You essentially say that we have no regard for an animal, if we shoot bullets that destroy some meat. I still say that was a stupid statement, unless you have a better explanation of what you meant.

I have shot elk and deer through the shoulders many times. On an elk, you will lose some, but rarely all of it unless you are shooting a speed demon. On deer, it is irrelevant, as there is a small amount of meat on the front shoulders anyway. I rarely lose both shoulders, even on a deer. I will take a quick kill and no blood trailing over saving a dinky bit of meat any day.

Monos are fine, but I get along real well with Accubonds, Partitions and Interlocks and until I am forced to do it, I will probably not shoot monos.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Again I will remind readers of a I shot a muledeer with a Nosler 7mm partition 175 at a range of about 100 yards. Muzzle velocity was 3,150 feet per second. The bullet took out the arteries above the heart and both lungs. The deer ran about 100 yards angleing away to the right, then turned left and angled away for at least another 200 yards before piling up. Fortunately I was hunting the sage so was able to watch the whole time. If this had been in the timber, I'm sure I would have lost it.

When you shoot a tenacious buck it doesn't make any difference what it is hit with.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Ringman
Again I will remind readers of a I shot a muledeer with a Nosler 7mm partition 175 at a range of about 100 yards. Muzzle velocity was 3,150 feet per second. The bullet took out the arteries above the heart and both lungs. The deer ran about 100 yards angleing away to the right, then turned left and angled away for at least another 200 yards before piling up. Fortunately I was hunting the sage so was able to watch the whole time. If this had been in the timber, I'm sure I would have lost it.

When you shoot a tenacious buck it doesn't make any difference what it is hit with.

Very true, but shot through the shoulders with that bullet and tracking job would have been non-existant.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (7mm_Loco, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 35, Akhutr, 7x57Hunter, 8 invisible), 1,533 guests, and 750 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,564
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.