Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I am looking at building a bird feeder to selectively eliminate the Starlings etc. that are destroying the fruit in my orchard. They are also nesting in every available space on my house and out buildings.

I can easily install or build an ordinary bird feeder, but wondered if there were existing plans. I was thinking about using some large diameter PVC pipe. Will it withstand 18-20FPE impacts at 20-25 yards?

Do I need to shield it with a metal plate of some sort? I suppose I can install rails to have the birds stand on to the side of the feeder. Pictures of these feeders would be worth a thousand words!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
laugh

I can relate.

Mine just have various holes in them. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great idea - how about putting some food in a pellet trap like the Champion .22 bullet trap? Smack the starling and make sure the pellet does not go anywhere after.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
You could also hang a suet cake which they seem prefer to the feeder at my place.
Hang the wire suet holder so that you have a side profile shot of the Starling.
Goes without saying that some sort of backstop beyond the target is a good idea.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I am looking at building a bird feeder to selectively eliminate the Starlings etc. that are destroying the fruit in my orchard. They are also nesting in every available space on my house and out buildings.

I can easily install or build an ordinary bird feeder, but wondered if there were existing plans. I was thinking about using some large diameter PVC pipe. Will it withstand 18-20FPE impacts at 20-25 yards?

Do I need to shield it with a metal plate of some sort? I suppose I can install rails to have the birds stand on to the side of the feeder. Pictures of these feeders would be worth a thousand words!

Depends on the rifle your using if it's a 22 or 25 marauder then you better use steel plate. Had a starling by my pool pump, took the shot at 33 yards and right through the starling and schedule 40 pipe. Heck of a gusher. Neighbor hangs his suet upside down under the feeder

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Starlings are my main target this time of year. They're more attracted to suet than seed and a wire suet feeder will take a hit with no issues. At 25-40 yards it's pretty easy to pick 'em off with my .25 Marauder.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Metal would be noisy.I would make a feeder or shield out of 1/2-5/8" conveyor belting.Shot 17 starlings with 17 shots from my .25 mrod the other day from 40 to 64 yards.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I need to do my part for Conservation as well.
Thanks for the suggestions!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've shot many a starling off a suet cake. Probably the easiest way to get them. When they bend their head down to get suet, and lift their head back up, they never see it coming. I put mine on the top of one of those shepard hook rods. If you miss it's usually clean, and my neighbors and everything else was far enough away to matter.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My best results have been when the ground is covered with snow. They then seek out the feeders.

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd be thinking about bird seed, sheet of metal, electricity, on/off switch.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Funny, I've done this with a circuit breaker and a sheet of chain link fence in my past.

I'm probably going straight to hell when I'm done here for some of the things I've done. I'm often grateful there was no smart phones and Youtube when I was younger! The evidence would be overwhelming.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
JJ ,
http://purplemartinplace.com/trap-plans-p-429.html

-----------------------------------------------------------
I know you asked about a pellet proof feeder but if the starlings are really ruining your fruit a simple trap will work from daylight to dark 24/7. There are better pictures to be had -with actual measurements of the opening and such with a little googling. Nothing on youtube that I could find .

One of the traps full of starlings -then inject a small gamey dog/cat/ferret into the cage -would be fun to watch -maybe invite your buds over -a couple of beers watching the cage match .
Just saying ..

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
L
JJHACK

If you put on perch rails you still have to figure in pellet path "after the bird". No need to ask how I learned this detail of pest bird eradication

I doubt PVC would hold up to the sub 12 FPE guns of England let alone the things we can own.

I just consider the background objects and feeder impact avoidance part of the challenge when making the head shot.

Last edited by LouisB; 06/02/16.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 163bc, 2500HD, 71 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,162
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.