Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I found a pretty good deal on Federal Auto Match 22LR.

Pros/cons?

GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I bought a bunch, but traded it or gave it away.. Check with Bruinruin..

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess it is "good", depending on the definition of good. It is probably the best plinker ammo for accuracy, but not on the same level as semi match stuff like SK or Norma TAC. I would say it is a good bang for the buck. It is widely available here for 18-20 bucks a carton of 325 rounds.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
What Terryk said.

My impression is that current production isn't as good as the pre-shortage lots.

I'll still buy it if the price is right, but with lowered expectations.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
My last carton was underpowered. The pre-shortage stuff shot well in my 10/22s and my Walther P22. The P22 is especially finicky with ammo, but it cycled reliably with the old AutoMatch ammo..

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've bought 3 boxes of it over the last 6 months or so from 2 different sources. I've burned up 2 of the boxes and haven't opened the third box yet. It's just as good as the old stuff from what I can tell. I still keep a watchful eye on it though, as I know someone here had problems with it. So far I've been damn lucky as it's all shot very well from my Ruger 10-22 and Ruger mkII target pistol... I'll be shooting a rimfire challenge with it in 2 weeks.... We'll se how it does there..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Ditto. It's shot well out of my Kidd 10/22 and Ruger MKII, MKIII. No complaints.. yet. No more duds than anything else.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I think it's great stuff, I shot a 10 shot group at 25 yards using an open sighted Winchester 62a pump, group measured eight tenths of an inch.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It works fine for me. Reasonably accurate for about $.06 a round which is what I paid. For the semi-autos I shoot in steel matches, I prefer ammunition with copper washed bullets to avoid wax buildup. I would rate Federal Automatch as good plinking/practice ammo.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Somewhat accurate out of a Savage 19 bolt action. Not too good out of another dozen or so rifles. Many FTF out of several boxes bought at different times/places. Even tried re-positioning the duds to strike in a new place 360° around the rim and still would not fire.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't bought any new Auto Match in seven or eight years, but have a few thousand stashed away. I've found it to be quite good in a semis custom 10-22, a 541-T, and a repro 52. It seems to shoot as well as anything costing less than $8 per box at fifty yards with the exception of the occasional flier. When I happen to get five good ones in a row, groups will often be less that a half inch.

I've avoided buying any of the new stuff because I already have plenty, because the price is often too high, and because of the rumored drop in quality.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
It shoots good in my Ruger 10/22s and semi auto pistol. Accuracy is better than most other low cost 22 ammo. It fires in all my 22s without a problem. My Bolt action Savage rifle does not particularly like it for accuracy. Good for plinking but the bolt action Savage shoots CCI target 40 gr at 1050fps much more accurately.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm running it thru a CZ452FS with good groups. If the groups open up it's not due to the ammo. Disclaimer, I'm shooting ammo from several years back, not the current production.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
just finished sitting on the bank of the crick running a brick of automatch thru the pistol at sticks, bubbles and patches of foam drifting by. not one bobble.....

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by huntsman22
just finished sitting on the bank of the crick running a brick of automatch thru the pistol at sticks, bubbles and patches of foam drifting by. not one bobble.....

Damn fine Friday afternoon if you ask me...

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Auto Match is almost always available at the Walmart Store a block and a half from my shop. We keep it on hand for test fire ammo and have never had a problem of any kind.

Feeds and fires through semi autos, bolts, pumps, pistols or rifles.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
It will not reliably run any of my auto loaders. It seems underpowered to me. I get lots of FTEs with it. I have tried it in three rifles and two pistols, all with the same results. All of the firearms are in good condition and run just about any other brand without issues. Given a choice I don't think I will purchase any more. I wrote Federal a letter describing the problem and they did not respond.

I will hunt everywhere before I die!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by huntsman22

I was with my 10 year old daughter the other day and she was helping me shoot up a box of automatch. She said "dad, I don't want to stop until the whole box is gone"!! I had just opened the box too... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
L
Everyone I talked to mentioned how for them, the word "match" in Auto Match was correct.

Dick's advertised that they had some so bought two boxes. First 22 I had bought in years and it hurt to pay that much.

I shot it in a 521 and a Mossberg 44US(a) and it has displaced Remington Golden Sabre as the most inaccurate ammo fired out of both guns.

Many have great success with it.

Hopefully Aguila Super Extra(?)will become available again in my lifetime and shoot as well as the partial brick I have left!

Last edited by LouisB; 07/02/16.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A 10/22 and two bolt guns said "Whaddidwedo to pizz you off?." Gave the balance to a friend who likes it just fine. Mileage varies from gun to gun.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 270winchester, 007FJ, 63 invisible), 2,318 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,650
Posts18,455,461
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.