Hop To
Page 13 of 16 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by John_Gregori
....it's absolutely foolish to bring along a 280. You will not find 280 ammo.

Absolutely foolish statement. I reckon that must have been Custer's line of reasoning also. He figured he could just pick some ammo up at the Greasy Grass General Store right before he engaged the Savages.

Not really as there is plenty of 270 ammo available locally here...good luck with purchasing 280 off the shelf.

Ironically enough there are a few box' of 7x64 on the shelf, now what are the odds of that.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, as I mentioned in my previous post, ammo availability is often very much a local deal, whether in another country or even in different parts of the same country.

As an example, there's no problem taking a 7x57 or 9.3x62 to South Africa, for instance, because ammo for both is common in stores. You can even find both in some stores in larger towns in my part of Montana, but in eastern Montana (which has been losing population for a while now, and never had many large towns in the first place) you'd be out of luck. You're not going to find much .375 H&H ammo in small country stores anywhere in Montana, but you will in Alaska.

One of the things I try to do when traveling is go to at least one local sporting goods store, and is possible 2-3, just to see what's available, and not just ammo. This can be very interesting and even surprising. The very first place I ever found a box of Swift A-Frame .416 bullets (not loaded ammo!) on a store shelf in Bergen, Norway! Also found far more .308 Winchester than 6.5x55 rifles both in stores and in the hands of local hunters while there.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Kodiakisland,

Yeah, taking a rifle chambered in a common cartridge never seems important--until it happens.

It's never happened to me, even on an international trip, but I have lost count of the people who've been on the same trip, or are hunting from the same camp, that it's happened to.

Have even seen it right here in Montana. Two buddies and I drove to eastern Montana to hunt, and in the process of consolidating our stuff in one vehicle, a small ammo bag got shoved under the front seat of another pickup while somebody was taking out something else. Luckily all it contained was .30-06 and 12-gauge, and it was easy to resupply in nearest small town. .280 and 16-gauge would probably have been a different story.

Of all people to lecture about using a commonly available cartridge. You carried your 9.3x62 to hunt moose in Canada,you carried a 257 Roberts all over the west,and you let your wife carry a combination gun in a 9mm oddball cartridge that no longer really exists. Just what is your latest drilling chambered for anyway? I heard you sold the one in 12 gauge and 30-06.

But the 280 is just too oddball to fool with? Somewhere a pot has offended a kettle about ethnicity. grin

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
HA!

Take a look at my more recent, longer post, and you'll see even larger transgressions--but also why I dared the fates. One example being taking a .300 Winchester along with my 9.3x62 on that trip to Canada.

Must note that Eileen's old combination gun and my 16x16/6.5x57R drilling have never traveled farther than 200 miles from home, and that in our own pickup.

Must also confess, however, to just putting together another .280 Ackley Improved. Dunno where it will travel, however, as I don't travel as much as I used to--and probably won't take anything weird if I do.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do the same. Carry at least one rifle when traveling in a common cartridge. I also have a 280 Improved being built. Actually asked for a 270 or 280 and let the gunsmith talk me into the improved. He said it was way better. (That means he already had the reamer)

Like a true loon, I said sure, go ahead.😊

IC B2

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Kodiakisland,

Being careful helps, but various airlines and countries have different regulations about which luggage ammo MUST be kept in, and often it must ALL be in a single, locked box. Some require it be in the case with the firearm; others don't allow that at all.

In once instance, the hunter departed for Africa on an airline that didn't allow ammo in the gun case. Everything was fine when landing in Johannesburg, but during a flight change IN SOUTH AFRICA, another airline required the ammo to be in the case with the rifle. This was a recent change nobody knew about, including the very experienced travel agent the hunter used. When the hunter's luggage was run through an X-ray machine the ammo showed up, and was confiscated by the airline, which did NOT inform the hunter. He arrived for his hunt with everything he'd packed except his ammo.

In another instance, only the hunter's rifle case showed up on a Canadian hunt--and his ammo (per the airline requirements) was in his other luggage. His rifle was chambered for a wildcat .338 caliber, and .340 Weatherby ammo MIGHT have fit the chamber, but was never tried, because there wasn't any .340 Weatherby in any sporting goods store around.

I even know one guy whose ammo case was stolen during a vehicle break-in during the drive from the airport to the hunting lodge, probably inadvertently by some thief who just grabbed whatever he could easily carry, because the heavy rifle case wasn't taken.

Those are just a few examples, but lot of it just simple odds: The more somebody travels to hunt, the more likely ammo will be separated from the rifle. I don't travel as much as some people (one friend has been on 50+ African safaris, and hunted in almost 100 countries), but as noted previously, even in my more limited travel I've lost count of companions like the three guys just mentioned.

Despite that, I've traveled several times with rifles chambered for relatively unavailable cartridges, at least where the hunts took place, such as the .358 Winchester and 9.3x62 Mauser. (In much of Africa 9.3x62 ammo can be found in many stores, but not in Alaska and Canada.) Once I even brought a rifle for a real wildcat--not just an "improved" version of a common cartridge, where factory ammo would work. But in each of those instances I either took along another rifle in a common chambering, or made sure a rifle could be borrowed, either from a traveling companion or the outfitter. And when I've brought a spare rifle, it's ended up being borrowed more than once, because a companion's ammo or rifle didn't show up.

So you've never known anybody whose ammo got separated from their rifle on a trip. This just indicates you and your friends/acquaintances don't travel all that much. While the odds are with somebody who doesn't travel much, that doesn't mean it can't happen on their very first trip--and no, it usually isn't their fault.

When traveling to Zimbabwe for a buffalo hunt, I took half of my buddy's .416 Rem ammo, and he took half of mine. I also chose the .416 as my buff gun because he already had his, and that gave us a measure of redundancy. Schit happens when you mix airlines and firearms.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ruraldoc
I also have a 280 Improved being built.

You won't be sorry.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ruraldoc
I do the same. Carry at least one rifle when traveling in a common cartridge. I also have a 280 Improved being built. Actually asked for a 270 or 280 and let the gunsmith talk me into the improved. He said it was way better. (That means he already had the reamer)

Like a true loon, I said sure, go ahead.😊

Well, at least, now, the good news is that you can buy brass if you don't want to enjoy the range time doing lots of fire forming. wink

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
No Mike still have it....thanks for reminding me. I had forgotten all about that!

Sign of age! haha!

I won't sell that little rifle,except to one friend who loves it. It's a cool rifle. I need to shoot something with it.

You have too many guns! LOL!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I just picked up a copy of "Guns and Hunting". A tip of the hat to MD for the very fine forward. There is a chapter devoted to the .280 but the .275/7x57 keeps popping up all over the place. It seems FA liked the mid-weights (139-154 gr) at about 2600 fps. As MD points out, he was more concerned with bullet placement and proximity to the animal than he was with absolute velocity and half-inch groups. I guess the old 7x57 just fit the bill.

Too bad he never got to hunt with the B-29. Danged ATF!!

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Just grab a 270 and go kill shidt..... tired

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Short and to the point. grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Been doing that since 1976...

WITHOUT all the melodrama ! !

Still like the 280

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
This thread reminded me to take finger nail paint and mark my 280 Rem cases so I can keep them separate from my 270 cases.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by kk alaska
This thread reminded me to take finger nail paint and mark my 280 Rem cases so I can keep them separate from my 270 cases.

If it's black nail polish paint the 280 cases . . . if it's pink paint the 270's laugh

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kodiakisland,

So you've never known anybody whose ammo got separated from their rifle on a trip. This just indicates you and your friends/acquaintances don't travel all that much. While the odds are with somebody who doesn't travel much, that doesn't mean it can't happen on their very first trip--and no, it usually isn't their fault.

MD,
By the same logic, you must not travel much either if it hasn't happened to you, and I know that's not the case. Luck, odds, planning, it all goes into it. I've been at camps where people showed up without their ammo and it was completely preventable. As I said, I know it happens. I just don't let the worry of what might happen control what I do. Sounds like you don't either. In fact, you're sending very mixed signals about the whole thing. Talking about how important traveling with a standard chambering is, and then not doing it yourself. Talking about how likely it is you will be separated from your ammo, and then admitting it's never happened to you.

I know it's good advice to shoot the most plain jane, common round available where ever you go, and I'm sure most people do just that. I guess I'm just too hard headed to listen to logic. Sounds as though I'm not the only one either.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by BWalker
BWalker,

Yeah, the BC's of .30 caliber bullets usually aren't quite as good as 7mm's, but let's look at some numbers, since this thread has always been about minutiae. We'll use Nosler bullets and data, since in general we've been talking about "normal" hunting ranges, not whatever is defined as long range.

One interesting thing about the .280 is the SAAMI maximum average pressure (MAP) is exactly the same as the .30-06, 60,000 PSI. Which means we're comparing apples to apples, even if somebody decides to boost either round a little over SAAMI loading data. However, Nosler's data for the .280 was shot in a 26" barrel, so we'll subtract 50 fps to match the 24" data for the .30-06, using the generally accepted 25 fps per inch of barrel:

Maximum velocity 160 .280: 2879 fps
Maximum velocity listed for 165 .30-06: 3002

The BC of the 160 Accubond is listed as .535; the BC of the 165 AccuBond is .475.

Maximum velocity 175 .280: 2710
Maximum velocity 180 .30-06: 2812

The BC of the 175 Partition (they don't make a 175 AB) is .519; the BC of the 180 AB is .507.

Maximum velocity 200 .30-06: 2697

There is no 200-grain 7mm, but since one of the main points of .280 proponents is always the 175's, why wouldn't there be even more advantage in a 200-grain .30-06? The BC of the 200 Partition is .481, and the .300 AB .588.

Now, we can argue with the BC numbers. However, most of them hold up pretty well in Bryan Litz's testing except the 200 .30 AccuBond. But the 200 Partition actually tested a little higher than Nosler's BC number.

Anybody who wants to can run the numbers with this data in a ballistic program. I'm not going to bother, but they'll find the .30-06 bullets do very well out to 500 yards compared to the .280, despite the BC's not being quite as good, thanks in part to the higher muzzle velocities of the .30-06.

I am sure that's all true, John.
Let's get real. There is really nothing that one of the three will do the others wont.

Let's get real?? You're the one that brought up the BCs of 30 caliber hunting bullets.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Kodiakisland,

Yeah, I'm sending mixed signals--partly because I often HAVE to hunt with non-standard rounds, as part of my job. Many readers aren't very interested in hearing what the .270 or .30-06 or .375 H&H will do, because they're rifle loonies and to them the rifle is as much a part of the story as the hunt.

But also as part of my job, I don't often pay full price for hunts, and sometimes nothing at all, though quite often there's still quite a bit of money sunk into travel, licenses, tips and other incidentals such as motels/hotels while going and coming from the hunts. For many years I averaged spending at least $10,000 a year, and sometimes considerably more, while flying somewhere just about every month. (I don't travel nearly as much as back then, by choice, both because I did just about everything I'd wanted to, and because I wanted to stay closer to home to hunt with family and friends.)

But because of traveling so much, and got to know so many other people who did it frequently, that I also learned pretty quickly how prevent problems, or have a solution ready if something did go wrong. I also know damn well I've been lucky not to have my ammo go astray on any big trip, because I've seen it happen to so many people, often through no fault of their own.

But knowing what I know now, if I was somebody who didn't work as a hunting writer, and instead saved a bunch of money from their regular job to go on a few dream trips in a lifetime, I probably wouldn't take a .280, or whatever cartridge some rifle loony has persuaded themselves is superior to so many world-wide standards that do the same things. In fact, I probably wouldn't dick around with nearly so many cartridges, instead sticking to a very few standards and thus saving money to spend on more hunting, whether near home or far away.

Now, if I owned some heirloom rifle that would add real meaning to a special hunt, but was chambered in some hard-to-find cartridge, I'd do it--but I'd also take along a second rifle in a standard chambering, just in case. In fact, as mentioned earlier that's what I often do when "field-testing" some oddball round. This can be a PITA, because I much prefer to travel with one rifle inside a take-down case, with a spare scope (though have also done some iron-sight-only hunts in both North America and Africa, which tend to be far more relaxing, because there's no worry about whether the scope might go bad and need to be switched, or rifle might get rolled on by a horse.)

Part of my job is to entertain, but part is also to provide readers with the benefit of my experience, whether with cartridges, rifles, game, travel or whatever. That's why I try lots of stuff, including taking oddball cartridges to strange places. But that doesn't mean it's not risky for somebody who saved for years to go on that that ONE dream to take a rifle in an oddball chambering. That's their right, of course, but it's also part of my job to say it's risky, and why.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, I get it, as I've tried to say in every post in this thread. That still doesn't stop me from using what I want instead of the most common whatever. Sure, I only do 2 or 3 trips a year and sooner or later it will catch up to me, but I take precautions and also figure things will work out one way or the other if something does happen. Hell, if I worried about all the things that could go wrong, I'd probably never leave the house.

I certainly didn't mean or try to get on a nerve, but it seems I have. It's great advice to consider all the things that could happen while traveling and what can be done to decrease the chances. I've got no problem with you or anyone else saying consider using the most common thing, I just don't. I'm also willing to take whatever happens and make the best of it.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Page 13 of 16 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (44automag, 338reddog, 4xbear, 673, 444Matt, 257robertsimp, 16 invisible), 1,679 guests, and 964 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,187
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.