Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Any of you atv guys pull a mower with your 4 wheeler? I am thinking of getting one but wanted a little feedback. I bought a acre and a half and it's gonna be a chore to keep manicured. There is a .6 acre waterfront tva easement that is flat as a pancake and a hill with a terrace midway. The hill is a bit steep and I'm wondering how the pull behinds act on rough and steep terrain.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
GB2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Went through the same thought process as you for a pull behind mower for my property. I had 8 ft. wide ATV/UTV trails put in to make it accessible as the slope was just steep enough to make going sideways nearly impossible. Also plan on having a small chestnut orchard eventually with 40' spacing between rows.

Just happened to find a never used ProMow Gold pull behind 7 gang reel mower. Fairly expensive to buy new, but got a terrific price on it. Found it on Craigslist. Can configuire for whatever cutting width up to 11' 4" on the 7 gang or less by dropping off one or more of the individual mowers. I use 4 total on the ATV/UTV trails, which pretty well mows it all in one pass around.

No motor, gas, etc. to worry about and reel mowers cut grass the right way. The individual reels float to accomodate uneven terrain. Something to consider......check Craigslist, etc.

http://www.promow.com/products/gold_series_mower.htm

Last edited by Wacenturion; 05/26/16.

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I used an older bushhog brand pull behind for several years. It was mainly used to mow one round inside pasture fence and one round outside pasture fence before I would spray fence lines. It was a bit undersized but did a good job on weeds/pinky sized saplings. Where it struggled was in thick stands of heavy grass. Using it on the back of my pond damn and several uneven spots here it would occasionally slide downhill if I was sidehilling while cutting. Going straight uphill wasn't a problem. It was a pain to back up.

Haven't used one of the newer more powerful models but would guess they may be a better cut. After using a tractor for the past several years I don't miss the pull behind atv mower at all...but it did it's job.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've bought a 44" Swisher rough cut trail mower a couple of years ago. My Polaris Sportsman 500 HO has no problems towing it over uneven ground and up a few hills at camp.
The mower weighs in at 550 pounds, so you will know that it's behind your tow vehicle.

http://www.mowersdirect.com/Swisher-RC14544BS/p9869.html

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I also had a swisher but the 60 inch model. It did a good job but the blades were a challenge to sharpen.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
When we bought our 10ac I had a John Deere 12.5hp lawn tractor. At 38" a swipe it took a while. I found a swisher 44" with a 8hp Briggs motor, built an offset bracket and went to mowing. I used this setup for two years without any problem.
I would not like to use an atv to pull unless you have a throttle lock. My thumb gets awful tired after pulling my seeder and spreader.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
When i get a atv the first thing i will do is trash the thumb throttle and install a twist throttle, i detest thumb throttles.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a dr field and brush walk behind mower. Purchased in '92 or 93. Replaced blade and throttle cable a couple of times over the years. Not pretty but a durable and functional piece of equipment. They are now making a tow behind model but find walking behind this one is good if the terrain is anything but flat. It will chew up 1" trees and waist high wet grass nicely. My wife was doing a fence line with it last night. Like to have stand alone tools for some applications.

Last edited by Dan_H; 07/01/16.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (10gaugemag, 11point, 17CalFan, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 80 invisible), 2,662 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,689
Posts18,399,819
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.