Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Remington725
Nothing to add here but want another post so I can earn my Bwana merit badge

Ditto

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by Blackheart
What is this "lease fee" you speak of ?

For me, it's the $1000 per year I pay to have a camp, water, electricity and 10K acres of private land to hunt, so I don't have to go in the million, or so, acres of public land surrounding it.
What's wrong with the public land ?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by 1Nut
Originally Posted by Remington725
Nothing to add here but want another post so I can earn my Bwana merit badge

Ditto

The freezer of meat full even if non-horned uncle's 94 albeit directly resulting...

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G

For me, it's the $1000 per year I pay to have a camp, water, electricity and 10K acres of private land to hunt, so I don't have to go in the million, or so, acres of public land surrounding it.

it might be a worthy effort to see the USF&WS commission a study on the question that you choose to raise?

acres available, costs, population of animals, location relative to human populations, days invested per kill, number of hunters per acre, etc. etc. and on and on. the wildlife biologists who follow such comparisons can probably add numerous stats to consider.

cost is what comes to my mind, because i grew up poor as hell. in other words, what does it cost to hunt on gov't land, vs private land? not that one is better than the other, but what are the costs?

i can buy ground beef from the local Kroger for about $4.00 per pound. what does the US F&WS say the average cost of per pound squirrel, rabbit, turkey, deer, black bear, etc. etc. harvested is? surely, they know, don't they?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
personally i don't care if the cost of store meat was 10% of the cost of procured wild meat. i ranch and i still don't eat most commercial beef. there is stuff going into feedlot beef that scares the heck out of me.

plus i have gotten so used to wild game or free range beef that the taste of feedlot beef is off for me.
tough once in a while i crave a run down your chin fat hamburger.

ps. had to throw in the procured in honor of GUS.

Last edited by deerstalker; 05/27/16.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Great thread! I hunt away from home with rifles and in the woods beside the house here with a crossbow. It took me a few years to admit to myself the freezer don't need to be full of venison as long as I have them on the hoof right out my back door, that's free storage and guaranteed fresh.

P.S. I do concur that the procure is the 30=30 to the .308 and Grandpa swears that the white lightning is cheaper than the store bought with the most octane to the fl oz. for the jug it came out of to go in in direct proportion to the heat of the meat. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Let me submit.......getting wild meat 4 a married man may not be cost effective. But getting stray cheap wild puss instead will end up costing half..-of everything. So buying legal tags and using an non attached weapon still is economically advisable by most accountants and marriage consulars.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Mostly "public" people.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mostly "public" people.

Figures to be the best answer on any post today. I quit public land long ago, and just hunt my land, for better or worse. Small acreage, but I usually eat meat. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've pretty much quit the "discussion" portions of all hunting forums, but this is an interesting topic that steps on my toes.

I'm solely a trophy hunter. I do eat what I kill but don't kill for the meat. I hunt 550 miles from where I live on a piece of property that I inherited which is valued at $750,000. I end up driving around 15,000 miles a year to maintain the property, preparing for hunting, and hunting, and I've done it for 14 years. That doesn't take into account vehicles, trailers, tractors, mowers, a house and barn, etc, etc, etc...

The long and short of it is, if I quit hunting, I could probably retire NOW.

[Linked Image]

Nope, not going to happen.....

Last edited by retrieverman; 05/28/16.
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
retrieverman,

Interesting!!

My son taught English in Korea for a while, he tells me that the Koreans do not have a word for "similar". He says they say in English, "same, same, but different".

I drive 300 miles to my "lease". We have a 1,700 acre pature in the Texas hill country. If you flattened it out, it would probably be in excess of 3,000 acres. I figure it costs me between $300 and $500 a trip depending........

I made four trips during turkey season this year. I figure on a good year, I'll make 20 trips.

However, I am a short range meat hunter. Haven't killed a deer in last four years that I recall. However, I do luv trapping, snaring and shooting hoglets.

I am retired, but don't ever plan to stop hunting. I've put my order in with the "man upstairs" to let me die in the stand. I've instructed my buds, that if god grants that request, to just roll me out and let the hogs recycle me. Lord knows I've eaten enough of them. LOL

[Linked Image]

Just Another Porker Perforator from Texas

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
quit your sniveling.............a vegetarian is nothing more then a lousy hunter

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I've put my order in with the "man upstairs" to let me die in the stand. I've instructed my buds, that if god grants that request, to just roll me out and let the hogs recycle me. Lord knows I've eaten enough of them. LOL

Best statement I've seen here on the fire in a long time GW! Told the wife to plant me on the back 40 for fertilizer!

Take a kid hunting!!! Old member name - Reloader - joined 2001
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Same here - 5 hours now to my farm used to be 3. A good year 10x and about 1/4 of the miles on my truck.

[Linked Image]

Moon last year's season.

Originally Posted by geedubya
retrieverman,

Interesting!!

My son taught English in Korea for a while, he tells me that the Koreans do not have a word for "similar". He says they say in English, "same, same, but different".

I drive 300 miles to my "lease". We have a 1,700 acre pature in the Texas hill country. If you flattened it out, it would probably be in excess of 3,000 acres. I figure it costs me between $300 and $500 a trip depending........

I made four trips during turkey season this year. I figure on a good year, I'll make 20 trips.

However, I am a short range meat hunter. Haven't killed a deer in last four years that I recall. However, I do luv trapping, snaring and shooting hoglets.

I am retired, but don't ever plan to stop hunting. I've put my order in with the "man upstairs" to let me die in the stand. I've instructed my buds, that if god grants that request, to just roll me out and let the hogs recycle me. Lord knows I've eaten enough of them. LOL

[Linked Image]

Just Another Porker Perforator from Texas

GWB

Last edited by vacrt2002; 05/29/16.

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

135 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 1,459 guests, and 783 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,574
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.