Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Let's see them boys...specifically Winchester M 70.

Buy once, cry once.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
How many you want to see?

[Linked Image]

Pound'R

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BobinNH; 05/26/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
pre 64 fwt in 280, in a a mcmillan Compact (Edge)
[Linked Image]

Pushfeed with douglas barrel, 270 winchester.
We covered a lot of miles together!
[Linked Image]

Factory Winlite (pushfeed), 270 winchester
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice Pat! wink

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Classic in 6.5x55

[Linked Image]

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by patbrennan
pre 64 fwt in 280, in a a mcmillan Compact (Edge)
[Linked Image]

Pushfeed with douglas barrel, 270 winchester.
We covered a lot of miles together!
[Linked Image]

Factory Winlite (pushfeed), 270 winchester
[Linked Image]

Pat,
What does that 280 FW in a Compact weigh? Where is the balance point?

Buy once, cry once.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
It weighed about 7lb 2 ounces as it sat there. Balance was just behind the front receiver bolt as I recall, it balanced between the hands nicely. I actually did not particularly care for the stock and the barrel (off a classic fwt) was a bit fussy so it went down the road. I have regretted that rash move for a few years now!
In the midst of planning one last possible build(!), again.
It will be on a pre 64 (fwt)action, most likely in a Wildcat fwt stock (should finish about 22-23 ounces), with a fwt or short shanked #1 profiled 270 barrel (quite possibly a std pre 64 barrel recontoured). Same basic recipe that Bob and Rick run and really a clone of my 280 with a different stock.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by patbrennan
It weighed about 7lb 2 ounces as it sat there. Balance was just behind the front receiver bolt as I recall, it balanced between the hands nicely. I actually did not particularly care for the stock and the barrel (off a classic fwt) was a bit fussy so it went down the road. I have regretted that rash move for a few years now!
In the midst of planning one last possible build(!), again.
It will be on a pre 64 (fwt)action, most likely in a Wildcat fwt stock (should finish about 22-23 ounces), with a fwt or short shanked #1 profiled 270 barrel (quite possibly a std pre 64 barrel recontoured). Same basic recipe that Bob and Rick run and really a clone of my 280 with a different stock.

Thank you. Most helpful. What didn't you like about the compact stock?

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MCT3
Classic in 6.5x55

[Linked Image]

I really like that - is that a standard non-edge compact?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The compact could have been fuller in the buttstock for my cheek, I always felt my head was perched up above the stock a bit and if I recall the grip was a little thin for me. The fwt stock actually fits me better and I also like the Bansner stock a lot, though they are a bit heavier.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It's funny that we all post these pictures.....every Compact Edge is exactly the same as every other one.

Every PoundR is the same..... grin

Every Legend is the same, every Bansner,every Rim Rock, etc etc.

You seen one, you seen them all!

We really live in the age of cooky cutter monolithic rifles. Even the ones we call "custom". frown

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I chuckle to myself when a thread gets started asking which colour of stock looks better! Sounds like a bunch of teenage girls talking!!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
It's funny that we all post these pictures.....every Compact Edge is exactly the same as every other one.

Every PoundR is the same..... grin

Every Legend is the same, every Bansner,every Rim Rock, etc etc.

You seen one, you seen them all!

We really live in the age of cooky cutter monolithic rifles. Even the ones we call "custom". frown

Come on now Bob. Here's mine. You know which is the compact and which is the pounder. Both great stocks. However, I think I have a preference for the ergos of the compact. To me, the compact looks better on a rifle with a shorter barrel (22" and less), while the pounder seems better suited for longer barreled rifles (24"+):

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here's a compact that I glass bedded for my buddy. This rifle is a hunting machine..:
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by stealthgoat
I really like that - is that a standard non-edge compact?

It's a Hunters (compact) Edge

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Brown pounder M70 375 H&H.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bsa: I know they are great stocks. Just that they are all alike.

Your Compact looks and handles just like mine. Not like the old days when you bought a custom rifle and it was really custom.

I've owned a lot of synthetic stocks and as good as they have been, none have that balance and feel of a top end custom wood stock made by a good stockmaker. The synthetics are kind of generic.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
bsa: I know they are great stocks. Just that they are all alike.

Your Compact looks and handles just like mine. Not like the old days when you bought a custom rifle and it was really custom.

I've owned a lot of synthetic stocks and as good as they have been, none have that balance and feel of a top end custom wood stock made by a good stockmaker. The synthetics are kind of generic.

I hear you Bob. I also agree. With that being said, I actually like the feel of my new rifle better than any of my model 70's. It wasn't built by any of the guild guys and the stock was reshaped and refinished by yours truly. The safety is also easier to manipulate for me as well. But that's beside the point... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Laffin.... I guess my point for the OP is that all these stocks (Edge, PoundR, Bansner etc) are separated by at most a few ounces and all of them make up into lithe and lively sporters with a 22-23" barrel and a contour no greater than a #2. They do have slightly different dimensions with the Compact Edge having the most drop at heel; still it handles lightning fast and is comfy to shoot.

Beyond a #2 contour they start to get heavier except in magnum calibers and for myself I never saw the sense in handicapping the handling qualities of a 270/280/30-06/7x57 etc. with a clubby tube, #2 being the absolute max and personally I would never use that weight for anything less than a 7 Rem mag.

I like a 270 to handle more like a grouse gun than a duck gun; the lighter contours will still get it done as far as most have any business shooting at live animals.I've killed with them out to about 500 yards. Theses stocks match nicely with contours no bigger than #2, and I like PoundR's and Compact Edge with "0", #1,or FW contours.

No sense hanging lead slippers on ballerinas.

Last edited by BobinNH; 05/28/16.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Hunters Edge.....20" Rock MR 6x47 Lapua

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Compact....20" 243

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

354 members (1Longbow, 1lesfox, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 29 invisible), 2,767 guests, and 948 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,282
Posts18,467,767
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.