Page 1 of 2 1 2
#11211559 05/27/16
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Dang....

I have had many acquaintances in life and several "true' friends. A good friend that helped shaped me into who I am is in a place that I cannot help him, his early onset alzheimer's is about finished with him. He is now in hospice care entering corner number 4 of the last lap.

Funny... you may not talk to a "good"friend for quit some time, even years, and you pick up as if it were yesterday. This is one of those friends to me. I have known his wife on and off since grade school and felt the kick of their daughter before she was born.

It pains me that there is nothing I can offer to him, his wife, or family to relieve their burden. Prayers are offered daily for their journey.

Tonight I offer up a toast to Lynn and the friend he has been...

BP-B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
My condolences to your friends family and to you.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Alzheimer's is as close to Hell on Earth as I can imagine.

My sympathies go out to your friend and all who care for him.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My best friend passed with Alzheimer's a few years ago, and only about 74 - 75 at the time.

My mother had dementia that I blame more on high fevers from Scarlet Fever when she was a teenager than on Alzheimer's. She had lifelong problems that got worse as she got older.

I did some construction work in a nursing home where it was tight against the Alzheimer's wing, and heard a lot of the goings-on there.

As much as I am a right-to-life person, and don't believe in suicide, If I ever thought that I was slipping into that situation, I would be hard pressed not to 'eat' a pistol before I got too bad to do it, and hope I did it so that I would expire quickly.

The victim doesn't really suffer, but it is a bad affliction, indeed, that is actually harder on the families and friends than it is on the patient.

My deepest sympathy is for the caregivers and family and friends involved.

Myron

Last edited by speedsixman; 05/27/16.

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Brian,

Condolences and prayers for you and the gentleman's family..

Gentleman across the street, is 87 and just got put into a memory care unit... his wife is a healthy 92, tall and straight as an arrow.. but now she is alone in life...

its sad to see how lost she suddenly is in life... even tho she goes and spends all day with her husband.. I am sure she comes home and cries all night.

Me and my son have been going over and taking care of the lawn etc for her.....

I hope if I ever get that way, I get hit by a BUS or a lightning bolt.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Condolences to you and your friend. My mom had dementia and honestly I was glad she passed from cancer while she could still remember who I was, though she was down to a 3 minute memory the last time I visited her.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of the guys in the deer camp next to ours did the long slow slide to death that is Alzheimer's. I see these guys for a week a year and it was hard on me. Imagine what it must be like for his family? To see a man you know personally, who you've shared a cup of coffee with out in the woods, swapped stories with, played cards with, and enjoyed spending time with, slowly sapped of his strength and dignity like this is excruciating. My condolences to those involved.

Blessed be the caregivers.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Best to Lynn and his family.
Saw my father in law go through that 10 years ago, a terrible disease.

NRA Patron
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We went through it with my dad. Luckily, he didn't get it until his late 80's. He died at 92. It's not hard on the patient because they don't realize they have it but its sure hell on the family and friends.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Only thing left for you to do is to run the last 1/4 mile with him.

Prayers for you and the family.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Its awful tough disease thats for sure. The best thing with that disease is the end.

Do the best you can for the family, for Lynn is already gone, but be there for him if you can anyway. They do have moments of recognition from time to time, at least our patients have in our family.

Prayers for all.

Thanks for being his friend

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I don't have any friends with Alzheimer's yet but some of their parents have had it. Researchers have come up with 2 drugs that will stop the spread of Alzheimer's and have tested it on animals with great success. It won't cure anyone that already has advanced Altzheimer's but if caught early will stop it from getting worse. The drugs are LM11A and LM11A-32(ALSO CALLED C32). I'm not a doctor or medical expert, I read about this in a medical magazine at my eye doctors office. I also read that Alzheimer's is hereditary.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You and his family have my prayers my friend.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Our oldest family friend ever died of alzheimers. The good news was that she had the happy kind....if there is such a thing. She was in a perpetual good mood because she didn't realize what was going on around her, or what was happening to her....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I wish the best to all of you who have been affected to this disease , my Mom is in care with it right now .
Saw her Thanksgiving of last year -beyond sad what it does to a smart -cheerful -healthy lady.
Heartbreaking .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Lynn Mclaren died this morning at the age of 61 from early onset alzheimers leaving behind his wife, daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren.

Funny... this is a friend from many years ago that our friendship grew by butting heads. We would go at each other relentlessly, sometimes almost brutally, but at some point we rounded off the edges of our personalities and became good friends.

My heart breaks,he will be missed...

May God rest his soul and comfort his family...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RIP

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
bcolorado,

So sorry for your loss. May God bless and keep his family, and wrap your friend in his everlasting arms.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The best attitude when it is finally done is "thank God it is over".
We felt that when my mom passed, and we said a prayer of thanks that she was Home at last.

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks all...this one is difficult as he counted as one of a handful of really good friends...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
713 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 2,713 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,678
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.