Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
woke up last Friday,( 5\20}with a horrible sore throat.
called in , got a 940 am appointment on the way in to work. went in for an hour and a half, then went to see dr.

got a prescription for Zithromax, a antibiotic I have used in the past with great success.
not this time,though.it was evident by Sunday I wasn't getting better.
stayed home Monday, went back to the dr. in the afternoon got another, stronger med.
levofloxacin.
took care of the sore throat in short order, but the side effects are huge.one being a lot of people rupture tendons while on it. eek
well,every bone in my body, every joint hurts like crazy. not just a little, either.
started out in the middle of my back ,on day 3.
couldn't figure out what the hell I did to injure my back. any little movement would cause terrible pain.
went to bed lathered up in ben gay, tried to get comfy, not much luck.
woke up next day, back was fine ,now neck was so stiff, could barely move my head. And ,my groin was super sensitive.
couldn't hardly walk.
went off to work anyway, settled in to try to get something done,
decided to do a quick search for the name of the med.
found over 900 reviews on web md ,all of them negative, for the same reasons as me. terrible body aches and pains, also peripheral nerve damage, sight problems, nausea ,vomiting, rash( I got that one ,too.)
My girlfriend noted she was on it a few years back, with no side effects at all.
not me, now the pain has migrated to my abdominal wall muscles, damned hard to get up and walk around even. hands and feet are both tingly, feels like I got punched in the stomach, got a rash on both arms. stopped taking it yesterday, hopefully the side effects pass quickly, hopefully the sore throat doesn't come back. made an appointment to see my doc on Wednesday, just in case. they told me to stop taking it immediately.
I can only imagine what I would feel like, if I had continued to take it for another week, if I hadn't had the resources available to research it.
It worked great on the bug I had, but the side effects would likely have injured me pretty badly!

just a heads up.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
You were prescribed antibiotics for, what I assume to be, a cold?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Bet you forgot all about your sore Throat, so I guess it worked.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MadMooner
You were prescribed antibiotics for, what I assume to be, a cold?

no,you assume wrong.
White blood cell count was over 15,0000.had no cold symptoms at all.

Last edited by fluffy; 05/27/16.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Ahh.
Sounds like the infection might of been the better option! Hope ya heal up!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad you are feeling better. Your story brings to mind a comedy routine Jerry Seinfeld used to do where he read all the side effects from medicines. The gist was the side effects of the medicine were worse than the ailment.

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
levofloxacin, cipro, etc....that family will F you up!! I belong to a couple groups for Lyme and co infections(I have Lyme and Bartonella), everyone that takes that family of drugs get a lot sicker, many never recovering after use. Its nasty schit!!

I refused it, and instead opted for Ceftin, Biaxin, and Bactrim. Doing well so far, a little dry mouth though so I have to watch for thrush.

Wish you a speedy recovery!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
wear a rubber the next time

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A shot of penicillin or Rocephin works well for a bacterial infection in the throat. No need for oral antibiotics after that. One and done. An oral dose of Decadron in addition is often helpful with symptoms (like swelling).

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Found the same non-effect with Zithro after a number of uses for recurring bronch-pneumonia probs. Next was Avelox and then its effectiveness diminished. The Levo used once (500 mg/day for 5 days) and worked quite well on the bacterial issue - but did have some strange pains in places where I was sure I had not hurt myself or pulled a muscle. Lasted about 2 weeks then went away.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B3

V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by antlers
A shot of penicillin or Rocephin works well for a bacterial infection in the throat. No need for oral antibiotics after that. One and done. An oral dose of Decadron in addition is often helpful with symptoms (like swelling).

I had 2 shots of Rocephin my ass (one in each side) after I cut my hand while gutting a deer and the cut got infected. If you get a Rocephin shot be prepared for some immediate intense pain at the shot site and a sore ass for quite a while. If you get 2 shots like I did sitting down afterwards will be very painful. The nurse warned me beforehand.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think some people just give better shots than others. And I usually reconstitute Rocephin with lidocaine when I'm givin' it IM.

V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
I think some people just give better shots than others. And I usually reconstitute Rocephin with lidocaine when I'm givin' it IM.

Both my shots had Lidocaine in them and I have a very high pain tolerance. The shots didn't hurt until after the Rocephin was injected.

Last edited by victoro; 05/28/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by victoro

Both my shots had Lidocaine in them.

And then again, some people are just pussies.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
...just kiddin' man. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pahick
levofloxacin, cipro, etc....that family will F you up!! I belong to a couple groups for Lyme and co infections(I have Lyme and Bartonella), everyone that takes that family of drugs get a lot sicker, many never recovering after use. Its nasty schit!!

I refused it, and instead opted for Ceftin, Biaxin, and Bactrim. Doing well so far, a little dry mouth though so I have to watch for thrush.

Wish you a speedy recovery!

I got thrush when I has cancer. That sucked, everything tasted like rotted cottage cheese. It was also very painful. I had to survive on ensure for nutrients. I drank aloe verra and a codeine wash to keep my throat open. I think the thrush then mutated into an allergy in my skin. Anyplace I would scratch would swell up like a bee sting. The whole event was pretty insane. I lost 35 pounds pretty quick, and the doctors were really forcing me to drink ensure to keep the weight up. So thrush is a bitch. Good luck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by victoro
The shots didn't hurt until after the Rocephin was injected.

Rocephin can be kinda irritating to the muscle tissue that it's injected into. That can cause soreness afterwards. Also if the medication is injected into a muscle too fast, it can cause soreness afterwards too. Givin' the muscle tissue time to 'accommodate' the medication load that's being injected into it can help reduce soreness afterwards also. Technique when givin' shots...as simple as it is...'can' make a difference.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm a drug rep, used to sell antibiotics. Most people do not have adverse reactions but they can be serious. Tendon rupture associated with ciprofloxacin has data to suggest it can occur 1 in 79,600 treatment days.

We are complex organisms, no one reacts the same to every med.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Try IV infusions with Vancomycin... grin Twelve IV starts in three days. Six were misses, the other six were needed due to vanco messing up the vein after a single infusion. If it happens again I'm demanding a central line being installed.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
When the quinolones first came out I was put on long term use of it for a persistent infection. . Just as I finished the course I had a partial separation of the achilles(sp) tendon left foot.

Rocephin came out just at the end of my medical work. We were told to mix lidocaine with it to ease the pain. In December of '13 I was given a one Gm injection in the left buttock. Felt no pain at all. Nurse injected slowly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
613 members (2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,455 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,245
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.