Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Before I get to serious about buying a compact to midsize spotter to carry to the field this fall. I would like your feedback as to whether or not you use one when you are elk hunting a new or area you are not real familiar with.

I'm still learning how to hunt elk, wondering if I could improve my chances by just sitting in a spot and patiently using a spotter. I know the "spot" makes all the difference, so I'm still learning what makes a great "spot".

The areas I've hunted and likely hunting this fall have been a mix of fields (parks), meadows, quakies, dark timber and not the more open type areas I see on TV in AZ or NM.

So if you have minute.. reply.

Your feedback is appreciated.

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I use my binocs and a camera. Binocs are easier to use than a spotter. If I see something that needs a closer look, I zoom it in and take a pic with the camera. Then I can blow it up 8x on the screen for a good look.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I use them only if trying to evaluate something already spotted.

A good binocular on a tripod is much easier to use and stay behind.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Meat hunt - no spotter because any elk will do.

Hunting for a specific size critter or in REALLY open country, yes. A spotter can save a lot of walking.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Got into new country in Wyoming. Scouting the first evening we watched elk dropping off a 10,000+ foot mountain headed to feeding areas way down low.

I don't know the distance but must have been 2-3 miles away.

Through 10X bins they looked like tiny dots; through good spotter,you could ID sex at that distance and see twice as many elk.

Might not always use them but I would not leave home without a spotting scope.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I downsized my binos quite a bit to allow for carrying a spotter easier. I still need to lighten up my tripod a bit but having the spotter can be pretty important.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Nope. I use my Swarovski EL 8.5 x 42's and that's it. A spotter would just be added weight for me.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I carry a spotter with me on every hunt I go on, every time I go out. I left a spotter behind one year (early 90's) on a mule deer hunt when I thought we would be hunting the standing quakies in a snowstorm in southern WY and when the storm broke the deer were everywhere and there were multiple big deer I wanted to get a look at. As it was we went and killed a 200" deer but I'm not convinced he was the best deer we saw from that hill. I'll never forget that day as it may have been the best day of truly big buck hunting I've ever had and didn't have a spotter to take it all in

I just picked up another Leica Televid 62 APO. Great little lightweight scopes that are worth their weight IMO. If you're meat hunting you probably don't need it but if you're looking for a specific animal then pack it

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On at least 3 separate occasions a spotter was without a shadow of a doubt the difference between filling my Colorado tag and not

My spotters of choice are

Graybird and Snellstrom

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by huntsonora
I carry a spotter with me on every hunt I go on, every time I go out.... If you're meat hunting you probably don't need it but if you're looking for a specific animal then pack it

I'll take that as gospel.

I know a spotting scope saved the life of a spike elk one year. My buddy and I had cow tags and thought we had a cow dead to rights at 500 yards as it slowly fed in the oak brush below us. Through binocs you couldn't see the spikes.
I'll definitely be packing a spotter on my limited entry elk hunt this November in Utah. Took me 13 years to get this tag and I want to get a really good look at all the tines before I drop the hammer on a bull.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A spotter on the front side of Meadon Peak at daylight wouldn't suck. 😎

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
No spotter: only good binos

I'm usually hunting cows, only trophy cows though, but I can spot them with the binos. Wyoming wildlife department told me just last week that the cow I took last fall was an 11 1/2 year old matriarch. (meat was great)

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Unless I'm just meat hunting, I always pack a spotter with me.

I love the heck out of the little Vortex 11-33x50

Yeah I know it's not the biggest with the most zoom, but it sure saves a lot of boot miles and it is super clear. If it broke today, I would replace it tomorrow. Plus it's very light weight and packs a heck of a punch as for what this little guy can do for you.

Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.
- Dale Carnegie
D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by LostArra
No spotter: only good binos

I am a meat hunter too, especially for a once a year trip out west for elk. I was wondering if a good pair of 12X -15X binos would be more practical when paired with a tripod. About the only time I wish I had a spotter was at the range to check my targets from a distance.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
At some point the issue comes down to how you plan to do at
least most of your hunting. If you plan on moving about much
of the time with brief periods of glassing, then a good set of easy to carry binnocs and a small spotter would suffice very well. If on the other hand, glassing will be the primary method, then a tripod and a good set of larger binnocs are a requirement. But its still not over, because although they are wonderfull to look thru, a very good set of 15x binnocs are still 15x. And for that style of hunting, 15x wont always be enough.

Last edited by yobuck; 05/29/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I cary 10X Mojave binoculars and a 12x40x60 Gold Ring spotter....wouldn't leave the truck without it

I even have a second spotter on a window mount that stays in the truck

I use binoculars for finding game and the spotter for evaluating what I see

10X won't tell me much at a mile except deer or elk ect ect.....but 30X on up tells me if it's a buck or bull.....or a good buck or a good bull

Pronghorn are an even better reason for a spotter

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Hunted elk Unit 4 New Mexico, spotter completely useless in the mountains. That setting up the spotter on TV shows to see the elk on the next mountain is just for the show to sell the spotter. Where a spotter would be useful is then the elk are low in the winter grounds, which are wide open. Then the extra power of the spotter would come in handy to help pick out the one you want.

I was looking at an Leica spotter, and one trip to the mountains that purchase is off my wish list.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For example

10X at under a mile

See the big billy?

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just under 800 yards

See the Rams?

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe an easy one.....and on this one I will help

1 mile......see the bedded Kudu?

[Linked Image]

Just a bit of a help and help with 20X

[Linked Image]

One more less subtle hint

[Linked Image]

60X

[Linked Image]

He later posed for a close up

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
88 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,592 guests, and 777 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,761
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.