24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Curious what the value of a Win. Ensign Model of 1917 is worth. This one has had the stock shortened but other than that appears original.

[Linked Image]

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Around me an all original Winchester 1917 goes in the $600-800 area, Eddystone's a hundred or so less (all depending on condition). For an altered stock you'd probably have to deduct $200-300.

http://shop.williamsgunsight.com/sproducts.aspx?srch=y

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Sporterizing is an excellent way to turn a $800 dollar rifle into one worth $400. If it had been drilled and tapped and the ears ground off, the value would drop down to about $200.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm thinking $300 to $400. Best way to get higher price bring it back to original build.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I sold a Winchester just like the one pictured with a washed out barrel for $150.000 last year in the classifieds.

Doc

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Call it nostalgia, but my favorite two actions are the Enfield ( 1914 or 1917), and then the 03 Springfield.

So guys like me tend to give a little more for them, but I don't think I am alone.

Just horse traded off for a 1917 Remington Made Action, that had a Fajen Stock, a semi heavy barrel that was fairly new, had the modified floor plate, made to be cocked on closing, replaced or tuned real good trigger job, with a Lyman Rear and Front Globe sights... the guy was asking $300 for this one.. with the upgrades I figured they alone were worth a lot more than that, so the action basically free...

Reblued, and nice job all the way around.. stock had some scratches so I don't think it was the rifles only barrel after the original military one.

Will redo the recoil pad, but other than that I'm very happy with it, I enjoy shooting those 100 year old gals..

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
In years past I did a lot of work on military actions. In the 70's it was still profitable to convert military actions into sporter rifles for hunting.

I was...and still am.... a fan of the '98 Mauser action. It had no equal among military actions of the day for conversion to sporter configuration. Even today I can think of no commercial or military action I prefer over the '98 Mauser.....including the highly praised Model 70 Winchester which is nothing more than a modified Mauser.

I was never a real fan of the '03 Springfield. It was a modified Mauser that was NOT an improvement. Compared to a '98 Mauser it was too heavy and asthetically inferior. Particularly the magazine cut-off and cocking knob added no value except weight and ruined the lines of a completed rifle. I didn't "hate" the Springfield...it is a very strong and useful action....but I could see no reason to chose the Springfield over a Mauser that was generally a bit cheaper and made a superior finished rifle.

The one exception to my preferred Mauser was the 1917 Enfield. True it was a modified Mauser that was overly heavy and ugly to boot. That broke-leg bolt, oversize sight ears and huge hole in the receiver were major problems that had to be overcome. The cock-on-closing feature was not as big a problem for me as it apparently is for others....but even that could be overcome.

What made the Enfield so valuable (to me) was the size of the action. Up to the .30-06 length cartridges, the Mauser was far more preferable to any other action. But once you moved up to the longer "true" magnum chamberings, the Mauser was just a bit too small.

True, you can modify a '98 Mauser to take .375 H&H length rounds, but this requires that the strength of the action is compromised. With powerful full-size rounds I am uncomfortable with ANYTHING that reduces the strength of the action.

There ARE magnum length Mauser actions out there, but they are uncommon and very expensive. The 1917 Enfield actions are easily available and inexpensive......and are long enough to chamber .375 length rounds without modification. The Enfield does require a bit more work than the Mauser to make it an attractive finished rifle (removal of the sight ears, plugging the "hole" in the receiver, removal of that hideous bolt handle and (if one desires) the conversion to cock-on-opening).....but you end up with a true magnum length action that has none of it's strength compromised. Even the main "flaw" with the Enfield action....it's excess weight...becomes an advantage in a heavy recoil magnum rifles.

Much as I love the Mauser actions and would prefer a magnum-length Mauser over an Enfield....there has never been a better military action for conversion to a magnum rifle.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If anyone is interested in one I have no real attachment to this one. Shoot me an offer.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one that I inherited from Grandad, which was sporterized before I was born. It has excessive headspace, and at some point a wooden plug was driven into the chamber to discourage anyone from shooting it without repair.

Another member commented to me that they tend to crack the action when you remove the barrel. So I'm not sure it's worth the trouble to fix it.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Seafire
Call it nostalgia, but my favorite two actions are the Enfield ( 1914 or 1917), and then the 03 Springfield.

So guys like me tend to give a little more for them, but I don't think I am alone.

Just horse traded off for a 1917 Remington Made Action, that had a Fajen Stock, a semi heavy barrel that was fairly new, had the modified floor plate, made to be cocked on closing, replaced or tuned real good trigger job, with a Lyman Rear and Front Globe sights... the guy was asking $300 for this one.. with the upgrades I figured they alone were worth a lot more than that, so the action basically free...

Reblued, and nice job all the way around.. stock had some scratches so I don't think it was the rifles only barrel after the original military one.

Will redo the recoil pad, but other than that I'm very happy with it, I enjoy shooting those 100 year old gals..

I actually like them better than the infamous pre 64 model 70: Imagine that. However, that doesn't mean they are worth much. A rifle like what is pictured by the OP is probably only worth about $275.00.....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
762 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 72 invisible), 2,989 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,716
Posts18,400,390
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.