Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
We usually get some HB by now. I am changing the feeder juice but no birds yet. Kill deer are also very light, as well as tree swallows.

GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
We have our normal numbers here. In fact, they were biotching at is this eve as one feeder was running dry.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I had a few male hb's show up a few weeks ago. Both male and female birds here in normal numbers. Tree swallows and bluebirds in nesting boxes also. You should have them both by now!

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Plenty HBs here for the last two weeks.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No shortage here....I have three feedes...their favorite I fill every day....the other two, every two-three days....

Song birds were late but they finally showed up....I have nests in about eight of the dozen or so houses scattered around the place....plus the one that the resident flying squirrel moved into...

Spring marches on....

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lots are around my place.
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Never seen a humming bird up here, but saw a Finch today. Love those little guys.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seen hummers up at our high elevations (6000+) here in Oregon hitting the spring bloom but none down in the sage brush country (4,500 ft). They do show up later in the summer (Aug) to hit the feeders when most of the floral world has done its thing.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For the first time in about 12 years, my humming birds aren't here either. I thought it was the juice, but after changing it several times I'm sure it's not the food. It's interesting to hear of the same thing in PA. I have no idea what's different.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had some show up at about the usual time,first of April, but not in any numbers. I have not been watching all that close but the last couple of days, the juice level has dropped quick. Must be a bunch more have arrived, way late. My goldfinches were about 2 weeks late this year too. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

For the first time in about 12 years, my humming birds aren't here either. I thought it was the juice, but after changing it several times I'm sure it's not the food. It's interesting to hear of the same thing in PA. I have no idea what's different.

Here's a map of reports from this year....

https://www.learner.org/jnorth/maps/humm_ruby_spring2016.html

I dunno if the population is up or down.

The weather AFAIK was pretty normal in Central America this winter, and no major storms over the Gulf either last fall or this spring. Heck, we didn't even have any major spring cold fronts with the accompanying strong north winds to wear 'em out.

'nother thing that can get 'em is going down and coming back along the overland route around the Gulf along the East Coast of Mexico (as most apparently do).

Birds can actually starve to death on migration if they hit a barren patch but no major drought conditions along the East Coast of Mexico that I'm aware of.

One thing to recall is that our feeders ain't even a drop in the bucket compared to the presence or absence of natural food sources over the couple of million square miles or so of real estate occupied by the species.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
We have a thorn bush off of the porch, and we have a nest of cardinals in it. It is about 6 foot from where the feeder hangs on my smokehouse. I was thinking the cardinals claimed that area? Anyway we always have HBs, this is unusual. I am going to try another feeder on the front of the house. Tree swallows are down the road in a marsh in abundance, but none are around in my pasture. They are always around, and really keep me company when I stir up the bugs cutting grass. They were here a few days but won't hang out here. Strange in general. Lots of other birds, and certainly too many starlings.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
They were quite late showing up here, too. The first one I saw was on May 15, exactly a month after I usually see them. There was probably one here earlier that I didn't see, but the first confirmed visit was May 15. Black-chinned birds claim my feeders, usually two and sometimes three families - which all fight to monopolize my juice.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
We have a few so far one pair,and what I guess are some moving through. Hope we get more realy enjoy the little guys.

There are no problems that cannot be resolved by the suitable application of high explosive.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I have had a pair here since the first week of May but I haven't spotted them for a few days.

The little guys make me think of Mickey

Last edited by Dude270; 05/27/16.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It's been too cold here for hummers but we're swamped with sparrows, magpies, and starlings. We also have more collared doves than in past years. I haven't seen a mourning dove here in a couple years. We used to get them all the time until the collareds moved in.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Hummingbirds have been few this spring on my moms feeders in Tallahassee Florida. A couple of young birds and a couple of mature birds but nothing loke the usual dozen or more jockeying for position in the backyard.

Last edited by Daveinjax; 05/28/16.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
We used to get them all the time until the collareds moved in.

Happens every time, collareds move in and there goes the neighborhood...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only have seen a few Hummers. Did just learn about a friend who thought he was getting Cool Aid out of the fridge. Damn women tell too much. grin

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Got some hummers as well as the first Orchard Oriole I've ever seen. The martins, however skipped me and my neighbor, likely due to the bird repelling noisemaker he's running to keep the grackles from fouling his pool.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

457 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,831
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.