Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Looking to buy a Winchester Model 70 Classic Featherweight or pre-64 FW action for a build. Looking for standard bolt face for 30-06-270 Winchester cartridge. PM me with details and cost. Thanks

I realize this is not the classified section, just thought I would try this forum first.

Last edited by lynntelk; 05/28/16.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Lynn you realize the differences between a pre 64 FW and standard action are minor,only a drilled bolt handle ( in some cases) and alloy bottom metal.

You can easily get light BM today,and duplicate that drilled bolt handle so don't limit your options by not buying a standard action.

As to the Classic FW, there is NO difference between the FW action and a standard sporter. Once again, don't limit yourself.

Just an FYI.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Lynn you realize the differences between a pre 64 FW and standard action are minor,only a drilled bolt handle ( in some cases) and alloy bottom metal.

You can easily get light BM today,and duplicate that drilled bolt handle so don't limit your options by not buying a standard action.

As to the Classic FW, there is NO difference between the FW action and a standard sporter. Once again, don't limit yourself.

Just an FYI.

Bob
Thanks for the reply. I just wanted to be specific on the first attempt. I have been in charge of providing/contracting a custom gun for our local RMEF banquet for the last couple of years. The two rifles offered in the past two years have generated $18,000 in sales in our live auction. The previously offered rifles were working rifles sitting in McMillan stocks, SS barrels and nice glass. The previously requested action will be used in next years rifle.

Last edited by lynntelk; 05/27/16.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
aguyinAK has a standard pre64 action for sale in the Classifieds. Have to go back to 25 May in the posts....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Just an FYI.

Does he want the rifle without the stock (meaning barreled action)???? A little unclear on what the OP is looking for exactly.. sleep confused

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Poconojack
aguyinAK has a standard pre64 action for sale in the Classifieds. Have to go back to 25 May in the posts....

I think someone bought that one...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Just an FYI.

Does he want the rifle without the stock (meaning barreled action)???? A little unclear on what the OP is looking for exactly.. sleep confused

Just the action. We will add the McMillan stock, SS barrel, coatings, mounts and glass. Never mentioned a barreled action, but if one is attached we can remove.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Yep, just saw that it sold....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
PM jkob here. He often has M70 actions.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by lynntelk

Just an FYI.

Just the action. We will add the McMillan stock, SS barrel, coatings, mounts and glass. Never mentioned a barreled action, but if one is attached we can remove.

Ok, like Bob said, you might be better served looking for an action from a std. wt. model, as they are essentially the same thing. Sans the bottom metal... Sometimes you can find a complete std. wt rifle for a good buy. I actually pointed aguyinAK in the direction to one recently..... wink

BSA MAGA
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Just for target eye candy I have attached the sight in target from last years custom rifle.
The first shot was high and off the target. Adjusted the scope.
The second shot was also high and off the target. Adjusted the scope.
The third target was also high and just off the target. Adjusted the scope.
The fourth shot was on paper at the .com. Adjusted the scope again.
Shots #5, #6 & #7 were high and slightly left. Made another scope adjustment.
Shots #8, #9 & #10 were slightly high and left. I quit since this was a old box of Remington Scirocco's and I only had ten cartridges and was out of boolits. Those Classic actions work well when assembled with other quality parts.

[Linked Image]

As to parting out a complete rifle, that's where the action came from on last years offering. The action came off a RMEF 25th Anniversary rifle.

Last edited by lynntelk; 05/28/16.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looks good, now shoot 5 shots next time. This is how my pre 64 model 70 stock as fu ck 30-06 fwt. shoots with cheap azzed Winchester powerpoints:

[Linked Image]

Here's the same exact load (same box of ammo) that I shot in my classic sporter:
[Linked Image]

Even when I'm developing loads, I'll shoot 5 shots. These are all sub moa groups from my buddies cheap (real cheap) Savage package rifle.:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

3 shots doesn't tell you very much about the rifle, except that it might have potential... wink

I like target pics though. You have any with 5 or 10 shot groups? Here's how an African big game rifle shot after I glass bed the action and developed a load for it:
[Linked Image]

Custom rifles might shoot good, but most factory rifles I've had, have shot real nice...:
[Linked Image]

I need to go and load some ammo. Just getting back from our bi-annual rimfire challenge. Was a pretty good day in all... wink . Hope you guys have a great weekend!!!!

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
BSA
You did read my post correct? I was sighting in the scope/rifle prior to the banquet for whomever bought the rifle. The first three shots were off the paper and I walked the next 7 down. Then ran out of boolits. Mission accomplished in 10 shots. We've all seen your recycled targets before. smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BSA
You did read my post correct? I was sighting in the scope/rifle prior to the banquet for whomever bought the rifle. The first three shots were off the paper and I walked the next 7 down. Then ran out of boolits. Mission accomplished in 10 shots. We've all seen your recycled targets before. smile

10 shots to get kind of dialed in. Whew, I'm impressed.... ha ha.. whistle

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
BSA

10 shots to get kind of dialed in. Whew, I'm impressed.... ha ha.. whistle

Mr BS (thought I would abbreviate) you are still having problems with your reading comprehension. Go back and try to s l o w l y re-read my post. I never adjusted the scope between shots 5, 6 & 7. I stopped and just wanted to see what kind of accuracy potential the gun might have since I was on paper. I did adjust the scope for shot #8 but not 9 or 10. Basically I took the slow and sure path to dial the scope down and could have quit after shot #5, dialed it down and put it back in the case.... but that would have left me with 5 boolits.
I do not post much for being a member for 5 years, but I read a lot of the forum for both entertainment and how to articles (left you an opening for another snappy reply). You sometimes get a good read on the type of person posting. My experience with you seems to be leaning towards the conclusion Shrapnel made in his post Re: The Rifleman's Rifle #11184037 - 05/13/16 08:53 PM.
Never did use the icons much but since you seem to be a visual guy..... smirk

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

698 members (117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 71 invisible), 2,876 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,160
Posts18,465,139
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.