Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I wrote this article about 4 years ago shortly after my Dad passed. I will never forget his sacrifice.

As I stood there next to that bed back in January, watching a soldier fight for his last breaths, I reflected back on Dad's lifetime of sacrifice for his country. Growing up with a true American hero, there are certain things that one takes for granted....watching that American hero lose a battle with Agent Orange instantly put things back in perspective for me. I watched my Dad suffer greatly for his country the last ten years or so of his life. He did so without one word of regret or complaint. Little did he know 46 years ago, that it wouldn't be a Vietnamese bullet that would end his life, it would be a herbicide that he literally was bathing in on a daily basis. Dad suffered bouts of illness throughout his adult life due to the exposure....but he did so silently.
I never heard my Dad brag about any of his many accomplishments...and he had many. I never heard him say how things could have been different if he hadn't volunteered. I only saw a Green Beret that went to work every day, always told the truth, and made an outstanding example for his children to follow. I will never know all the missions he went on or the battles that he waged. All I have are a few pictures and a uniform that is filled with proof of things he would never talk about.
The Green Beret...it says more about a man than he would ever say about himself.

Buy once, cry once.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Humbling. And sad.

That God Damned war will never be over....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
I never heard my Dad brag about any of his many accomplishments...and he had many.

That was just how those guys were, great tribute.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by deerhunter5555; 05/27/16.

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Humbling. And sad.

This.

Salute to your father; we owe him and his a debt that can never be repaid.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your dad was a great American, he sounds like a man I would have liked to met and talked with.

GOD Bless these great warriors.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You come from great stock Sir. And Ingwe is right. That war, it's residual effects, took the man that inspired me to serve. So Damn all the politicians to Hell, and remember our bravest.
Lest We Forget.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Dang allergies ...

Rest in peace William F. Mischke thanks for your service Sir .

Deerhunter555 - as stated you come from good stock !

Last edited by ol_mike; 05/28/16.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RIP soldier, thank you for your service.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I'm sorry for your loss and his suffering. RIP sir!!!

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Humbling. And sad.

I kind of feel that way, i can't seem to get away from it. but there is hope, when we are all finally dead it may pass into history.
they put up a memorial in the city park in prescott, arizona, my home town. For a long time they didn't have a fence on it, so kids were playing on it, which greatly aggravated me. The 18names on that plaque were mostly known to me. We have a high school reunion coming up, and that always brings up one name in particular. Tony Yesces. Lynn was pregnant with his kid when news came he had been killed. He never saw the child or vice versa.
They finally fenced that monument. But i learned to get over my anger when i realized as a kid i was playing on the statue of bucky o'neil, best known for the charge up san juan hill in cuba.
And that was no different.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 05/28/16.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Humbling. And sad.

I kind of feel that way, i can't seem to get away from it. but there is hope, when we are all finally dead it may pass into history.
they put up a memorial in the city park in prescott, arizona, my home town. For a long time they didn't have a fence on it, so kids were playing on it, which greatly aggravated me. The 18names on that plaque were mostly known to me. We have a high school reunion coming up, and that always brings up one name in particular. Tony Yesces. Lynn was pregnant with his kid when news came he had been killed. He never saw the child or vice versa.
They finally fenced that monument. But i learned to get over my anger when i realized as a kid i was playing on the statue of bucky o'neil, best known for the charge up san juan hill in cuba.
And that was no different.

Define "we", friend.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
34% of the guys in my graduating class have there names on the Wall.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

399 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 16penny, 30 invisible), 1,779 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,179
Posts18,465,575
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.