24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This particular item has had me questioning correctness for many years.

On Memorial Day, does one confine respectful appreciation to those that died in service to our country, and also appropriately those that died due to direct injury while in service?

The interpretation of 'service' for the purposes of this question/issue, from my perspective, is while on active duty in actions associated with military duties/obligations.

The issue arises from a toast. Is it correct to toast those that are passed, those that served in combat, but survived the experience/trial and later died of old age or other non-service related issues? And would/should we then also add in anyone that was ever in the military and has now passed?

I have read and researched a bit but it still remains unclear to me. Remembrance Day and later Memorial Day seem to me to be unclear on the specifics of WHO we remember.

Directly: I am a 20+ year Navy veteran (1971-1993), my son is an eight year Army veteran (Iraq tours). My father was WWII Navy amphibious landing craft(Sicily, Salerno, Normandy) and many of my uncles also WWII (two on USS Enterprise in the Pacific, etc)... On Veteran's Day my son an I toast the folks that 'served', including the uncles and my father, but on Memorial Day we don't generally do so as none of them died while in the service... they all died of old aged or the infirmities of old age.

I'd appreciate the thoughts of others, perhaps some other have a similar conflict.

Last edited by DaveKing; 05/27/16. Reason: 'be' to 'we'
BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
those who died in service

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Remembrance of those that died serving their country is Memorial Day

It really is one of my peeves. Veterans Day is for Veterans, Memorial Day is NOT about Veterans.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
For clarity, or not, I should add.

Another part of the confusion for me as to 'died in service...' is the care of graves and grave markers and such.

I see the graves of the passed, relative included, and in some cases know the story(ies) of these men. But as I view the graves and monuments, and many times markers of Campaigns, I often find no discernible evidence between "died in direct conflict/service" and lived a long prosperous life post 'service'.

Yes... I'm probably 'down in the weeds' on this/these issue/s but it is something I feel is a correctness for protocol.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I appreciate the sentiments of Memorial Day. And I do Honor all of those who died in service to our nation.

The thing is, around here, I do not think anybody knows the true meaning of the Observance. Just about anyone I know thinks the day is meant to honor any family member buried.

People flock to our local cemeteries to spruce, clean, and decorate the graves of every passed family member. And 90% of the deceased never saw a day of service.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead

It really is one of my peeves. Veterans Day is for Veterans, Memorial Day is NOT about Veterans.

That is how I was taught growing up.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yep.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Nailed it.

I would like to add it is not just another holiday to go play, it is a day of remembrance and reflection to those who died so that we may be free today.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Scott F
...........a day of remembrance and reflection to those who died so that we may be free today.

This is what so many forget.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
207 members (12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257robertsimp, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 20 invisible), 1,866 guests, and 864 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,787
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.