Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Higbean
Originally Posted by rost495
So what is the latest fad?

Grey Goose enemas. Give it a shot.

Only from KA

That is a trend straight from Tejas! Most Californians taste is all in their mouths!!!!

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Very possibly second lesson once a guy learns that wind can do some weird [bleep].... Do wind at 200, left wind at 600, type stuff..

If you shoot with a scope that is moving around in the wind, and your shooting far enough to it moves ALOT.... It Really, really pisses you off.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Best lesson to learn about wind (don't piss into it)

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The only time I don't shoot in the wind is when I'm working up a load.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by deflave
A lot of people find this hard to believe, but shooting in the wind really helps with learning to shoot in the wind.

Dave

Eggs-frickin-zactly! I have guys asking me to take them shooting all the time. When I let 'em know to get their gear together, they reply it's too windy and they don't want to waste their ammo. Get off the bench and shoot in the wind, rain and snow. Use your pack, a rock or tree limb for a rest. Have your spotter buddy talk you onto your "target" rock. Then range and hit it, without standing up, within 5-10 seconds before it walks away.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I guess all the years at 600-1000 the wife and I did with irons and 223, taught us a bit.

I'm constantly amazed at what amazes folks. Especially with all the data thats out there on the net these days that was not when we started.

Get out and shoot. The windier it was the happier I was. That wind in a match ruined a lot of my competition mentally before the first shot was ever fired.

I was mad when 9/11 shut down Camp Bullis. It had some tough wind, toughest likely, that I've ever shot it.

Satisfaction was wind picking up and dialing a lot of extra moa on and shooting an X at 1000, followed by a visible complete reversal. All I can say is that IIRC there was somewhere around 30 moa correction for my next shot. Which was an X.

You don't do that by being scared to shoot in conditions. You learn to watch everything from firing line to target and look at the lay of the land, where the wind comes from and so on, as to get a good idea of whats possible.

Hell you confuse most folks when you discuss the fact that mirage alone, affects the windage of shot, vs what the wind actually does. Such that if you have mirage and wind, and the mirage goes away, you still have to correct for wind, but even if the wind is perfectly the same, your shot will still land off if you don't correct for that fact that the mirage is missing....

You don't learn without missing.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Long term shooting goals=to shoot in a place where the wind only blows in one direction at a time

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I try to be upwind or downwind when I shoot prairie dogs.. When it's really windy

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I tried to shoot some prairie dogs at 150-250 yds in a 40 mph crosswind with my unbraked 7mm-08 XP 100 and no spotter. I learned where not to aim, not much else.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Use your best SWAG...shoot....and holler SCHITT!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I used to carry my wind gauge as a way to learn what wind caused different motion of the vegetation preferably lower vegetation like bushes. That way I could start to understand what wind caused the motion I would see at range.

I worked a project where we had 100's of wind profiles from 0 to 1000 yards and I don't think I ever saw one that was what I would call uniform enough that a measurement of the wind at my muzzle did much good.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Wind meters are good because the can also help with direction. Proportionally the wind has the greatest effect at the muzzle, so differences in drag at this time have longer to work on the bullet than distances down range. So a 10 mph wind at the muzzle blowing in one direction out to 50 yards will have more effect on poi than the same wind blowing in the opposite direction 50 yards from the target.
The bigger problem is that most ballistic programs cannot be input for various changes in wind. The have to be made by the shooter usually based on experience If using drops done on a program or iPhone.
Lack of time of flight is everything. One reason really fast 22s such as the 22-250 appear to have intrinsic accuracy.

m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Simply walk in very big circles around the target until you have a headwind or tailwind then you have no need to hold for wind grin

Pieter

Last edited by m77; 06/10/16.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
SUPERMAN....has to make wind corrections!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by 1minute
I can dope wind by paying attention to how the breezes strikes my face and by watching mirage as I look through a 10X scope on my 22 LR's. At times I may point as much as a foot left or right and lob them right in on ground squirrels. It's taken me thousands of rounds each spring though to reach that level. I'd likely wear out barrels trying to attain the same skills with my centerfires.

And sometimes the squirrels get tired of waiting.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
A lot of people find this hard to believe, but shooting in the wind really helps with learning to shoot in the wind.

Dave

This.

I'm a firm believer in 2nd shot kill - as long as my spotter can call my shot effectively I just adjust and connect, normally I can do this in under 2 seconds (good tack shooter - hence my login name)... It does help though when I anchor on the first round though 🙄

They work every time. Sighter shots that is. lol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Dave

You might be on to something.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by yobuck
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Dave

This.

I'm a firm believer in 2nd shot kill - as long as my spotter can call my shot effectively I just adjust and connect, normally I can do this in under 2 seconds (good tack shooter - hence my login name)... It does help though when I anchor on the first round though 🙄

They work every time. Sighter shots that is. lol

Uh huh.

First two sighters centerpunch a 3" "X" ring @ 600 yards, go for record and shot #1 is a "9"... or worse. grin

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Etoh

Lack of time of flight is everything. One reason really fast 22s such as the 22-250 appear to have intrinsic accuracy.

it is not time of flight, it is how much velocity the bullet sheds, or 'lag time', that dictates drift.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Nope. Longer the the bullet is in flight the longer all drag forces can have an effect on its ballistic profile. A projectile with zero time of flight between two coordinates will be a straight line. Drift is a function of drag on some part of the bullet and is not more molecules (denser air ) on one side affecting the projectile. Obviously this changes as the projectile passes the sound barrier on either side.

Lag time can be thought of as how long the bullet is on the target which is dependent on velocity and is the third derivative. Depending on the construction of the bullet will dictate to a large extent how much momentum is transferred

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 163bc, 51 invisible), 2,245 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,604
Posts18,454,831
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.