Hop To
B
bbrc Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Hi
I have the above reamer holder but have not used it much and then only with hss reamers at about 180 rpm I have been happy with the results ive had but have had a couple of hand slaps when the reamers grabbed.
I've a new project to do now and the only reamer I could find was a carbide one which as far as I'm told needs to be spun faster at approx 320 rpm??
I would value the benefit of anyone's experience with a bald eagle holder at this higher rpm and any advice as to how to avoid any problems
Thank you
Bob

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've seen guys use a short piece of pipe or tubing braced on the cross to hold the bald eagle. When they get to the end of the cut, they pull the pipe loose.

I use a modified tap wrench and like the results, but I turn slower than you.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
B
bbrc Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by high_country_
I've seen guys use a short piece of pipe or tubing braced on the cross to hold the bald eagle. When they get to the end of the cut, they pull the pipe loose.

I use a modified tap wrench and like the results, but I turn slower than you.

Thanks for the reply and suggestion.
what kind of speeds are you cutting at?
Thanks
Bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would be lying if I quoted you a speed. My lathe is variable speed and I don't look at it, just feel. My guess is 140 ish on the high end and 80ish on the low.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I chamber at about the same speed as Highcountry and mine is a variable speed also. I do drill and taper bore before chambering with my Bald Eagle clone. I've not had a problem "YET".

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Something to be aware of with carbide reamers. If it is a production reamer they are commonly made .010" oversized on the body so they can get more life out of them as they wear and can be resharpened a couple more times. Just ask the maker if it is a min spec otherwise if it simply says Saami it may be oversized.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
B
bbrc Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Thanks guys
I usually drill and bore first and except for the reamer grabbing and whipping the handle of the bald eagle out of my hand a few times I've not had any problems
I have been told that if you cut too slow with a carbide reamer it wears them blunt very quickly and another source has said that happened to him with carbide at low revs
I'm just a little nervous using a bald eagle as fast as Ive been told to.
I believe it says to use speeds in the 3-400 rpm on ptg's website
Bob

B
bbrc Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by HiredGun
Something to be aware of with carbide reamers. If it is a production reamer they are commonly made .010" oversized on the body so they can get more life out of them as they wear and can be resharpened a couple more times. Just ask the maker if it is a min spec otherwise if it simply says Saami it may be oversized.

Didn't know that, thanks I'll check it
Bob

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I do not have any carbide reamers. Are you sure on the .010 oversize? I can't buy that.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
It's only on the body, not the neck or datum line. Most would never notice it except for the extra bulge you see in the brass on fired rounds. Both Dave of PTG, Ken (owner) and Cary at JGS have told me about this. At JGS it's no secret. Getting a straight answer or an answer from someone that knows is a lot tougher at PTG. I knew about this years ago due to I build a lot of guns where people demand interchangeable fired brass with other rifles I have built. Seeing behind he scenes is part of the benefit of living close to the sources.

It's not a huge deal. It doesn't hurt accuracy and sized brass fits easier but at the expense of shorter brass life.

If you have the reamer built to your spec it's not on there but Saami in stock carbide reamers frequently have it.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Bald Eagle is the only reamer holder I use and I have a small piece of round aluminum bar stock 5 to 6 inch's long I drilled to hold it. I have never used a carbide reamer and I cut my chambers at 115 rpm's.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by HiredGun
It's only on the body, not the neck or datum line. Most would never notice it except for the extra bulge you see in the brass on fired rounds. Both Dave of PTG, Ken (owner) and Cary at JGS have told me about this. At JGS it's no secret. Getting a straight answer or an answer from someone that knows is a lot tougher at PTG. I knew about this years ago due to I build a lot of guns where people demand interchangeable fired brass with other rifles I have built. Seeing behind he scenes is part of the benefit of living close to the sources.

It's not a huge deal. It doesn't hurt accuracy and sized brass fits easier but at the expense of shorter brass life.

If you have the reamer built to your spec it's not on there but Saami in stock carbide reamers frequently have it.

I still don't buy it, but will give you the benefit until?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I use the case holder that comes with Sinclair neck turner

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 35, 280shooter, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,558 guests, and 710 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,520
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.