Print Thread
Hop To
T
TheKid Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Looking at maybe picking up a trio of 11-48s, a 16, 28, and 410. Anyone have experience with the little ones? Reliability issues? Quirks?

I had a 28ga 1100 I couldn't miss with and should have kept but let slip away long ago. The 11-48 handles very similarly and has the same stock dimensions so I'm thinking, wishing, and hoping that I will be able to hit with it like the 1100.

The 28 has a way short stock that I would pull off and save for when my son is ready. In the meantime I will either swap the 410 stock onto the 28 or fit one from an 1100 to it if one can be retrofit. Anyone have any insight into interchangeability between models?

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I briefly owned a 12 gauge 11-48 back in the 1970s. I was in high school then, and when I picked it up from the used rack at the Circle MT Gambles store, I loved it! Talked my Dad into buying it. It was 2.75", modified choke 28" barrel. It was a great sharptail gun with an ounce and a quarter of #6 or #5 shot. If I remember right it did not like target loads very well, but never failed to function with the old "duck and pheasant" loads. It's only failing was the detent in the bolt that held the charging handle in place was bad, and every now and then I'd have to spend a while looking for the charging handle! One day, after spending nearly an hour looking for that little handle, Dad decided we should trade it in. Got a Coast to Coast M880 pump, which worked, but it sure wasn't that old Remington! I have been a Wingmaster man for a while now...like the pump but wanted the handling qualities of the Remington, which fit me very well.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Friend of mine has a 11-48 in 28g. I hunt his property often. He asks my to use his gun sometimes as I bought him a case of shells. I like the way it handles and it's low recoil.

My own guns are 12ga 1100s and 11-87s. The 11-48 handles just like them.

Last edited by websterparish47; 05/27/16.
MWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My shotgun of choice for informal clay targets (5-Stand) is a 48 in 20 gauge. It's a plain barrel with modified choke. I think the only difference between a 48 and an 11-48 is that the 48 has dimples in the magazine tube that only allows a total of three shots to be loaded. Perhaps there are some cosmetic differences (?).

Have a second 20 gauge 48 with a vent rib in transit back from the gunsmith getting a blue job. It was another rescue gun shoots well but had some serious finish issues.

I've put well north of 1000 rounds of various cheapo 'Gun Club' type ammo through the 48 and not had one failure of any kind. Equally important is that it fits me very well and I shoot it well. Had a very nice 16 gauge for awhile but this 20 gauge seems to be just right for me.

Not trying to veer the thread off subject, but a lot of the rescue guns that I bring home don't have vent ribs. They shoot fine and I've yet to have a heat distortion issue even when I've gotten some barrels heated up to where they were uncomfortable to touch. I had been raised on vent ribs guns since my first shotgun and always looked down my nose at not ribbed guns. But not any more. IF they fit properly and POI is good, they will shoot good without a rib.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf.
T
TheKid Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've never been one to get caught up on ribs anyway and none of the three guns being discussed have one. If you're looking at the top of the barrel you aren't going to hit the bird anyway.

It's looking like I'm not going to end up with any of them after all anyhow. The guy who has them can't get his head around the difference between asking price and selling price as pertains to GB auctions and has now decided that they are all worth about double what they actually sell for. Of course he's neglected the fact that the two small gauge guns both have bad stocks, with the 28s being cut insanely short as well as cracked and upon closer inspection the 410 is missing a flake of wood behind the trigger guard. Oh well.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
the model has a habit of cracking forearms and the grip area.
watch for it.
and too...ive found the 410 to be finicky with reloads. all the small ga 11-48's i owned worked best with factory ammo.
historical note, the 11-48 410 was the gun i was using when i shot my 1st 100 straight in skeet.
go enjoy them.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have hunted with an Remington 11-48 28 gauge bored skeet since the late 60's. Early on primarily upland bird hunting over setters. If I shot a box through it I would have usually 24 kills. Instant death on pheasants, huns and quail at close range. Even used in the duck blind over the years. As long as you know the gauge and choke limitations, it will kill as well as anything. Fast swinging, no recoil.

Only occasional ejection problem with one brand way back when, but usually shot Federal factory 1 oz loads of 6's, and never had a problem.

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
116 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 18 invisible), 1,351 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,850
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.