Print Thread
Hop To
A
Andre Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
In 43 years of hunting (with 3 Labradors for small game), I have not met more than 10 of those German pointing spaniels and have always been impressed by the quality of their work. They are still not common but have won quite a following in France since a few years. In Germany, it's another story and these dogs are used successfully on small and big game, even used on blood spoors. When my last Lab Czar died in 2013, I decided to acquire a Münsterländer as my 1st pointing dog. There being only 2 breeders in my country, I put my name on the bottom of a waiting list and hoped (Münsterländers are only sold to hunters, as the result of an agreement between breeders who insist on keeping the hunting instinct intact)... Finally, I got a call that I could get –not choose- a little bitch, which came as a surprising nr. 8 as the echography had only detected a litter of 7 (all of which were pre-sold long ago). Since then, we have developed a complicity and become a hunting team I never had before. She's a true war machine, picking up the scent of game at < 10 meters under cover, before closing in and pointing, steady as a rock! She also comes along on deer stalking where she remains calm and steady (until I shoot, that is...) and follows a blood track very efficiently. She even surprised me lately : we were nearing a Roebuck I just shot and, when the comatose animal shivered, she launched herself and grabbed the dying animal by the throat, jaws clenched, strangling for long minutes, while I fumbled unsuccessfully with the flash of my camera. Only after I was able to take a photo, did she release her prey on my insistence. Field dressing the buck, I found the larynx was crushed. I called the breeder afterwards and he replied that this behaviour was instinctive and as expected... Enough said, here come a few pics of Mabel du Clos des Renards :

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Mabel pointing

[Linked Image]
Mabel, silent but watchful in mirador

[Linked Image]
Mabel strangles (sorry for pic quality, taken w/o flash in the dark, then numerically brightened)

[Linked Image]
Mabel and I with latest roebuck, harvested on 05.03.2016

Andre
--------------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great pics and a beauty of a dog! Congrats!

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Andre, What a magnificent dog. You're a very lucky man mon ami. Bon chance, dans toutes vos chasses avec elle.

Jeff

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Das ist ein gut hund! Prost auf WA state.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice.
She seems to be a well rounded dog.
Congratulations.

IC B2

G
G
Wow, I followed a similar path to a Small Munsterlander. I had a few positive hunting experiences with the breed, had a lab prior, and wanted to get my first pointing dog. I've had Axl four years now. I haven't taken mine deer hunting, but he's killed several rabbits and squirrels in the yard. His first squirrel at six months. Though he has an excellent nose while bird hunting; I was amazed at his eye sight. He sees every rabbit or squirrel from our house's front window even across the street and next to cover. Axl is all business when hunting; he is only interested in finding game. Small Munsterlanders have great instincts and seem to know how to hunt without much training.

Congratulations on getting Mabel. Have many excellent hunts together.

A
Andre Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
It seems all owners of a SM had the same experience. These dogs are obsessed by hunting, even when taken on a walk.

[Linked Image]
Mabel started pointing and stalking birds as a pup. Here she barely missed a wood pigeon. She points for long minutes before starting to inch closer, ever so slowly. The bird soon loses interest for that stuffed animal someone must have forgotten in the garden. After closing to about a yard from her target, she charges. Of course, she misses a lot but so far, she counts a tally of 18 pigeons, 1 magpie and 1 crow...

[Linked Image]
She was 11 months old when she met that strange dog that smelled different. After sniffing the fox from nose to tail, she concluded that he was no good and started growling. She then grabbed it by the neck and shook it violently, tearing the hide...

[Linked Image]
Dog walking in the park has become a lenghty affair since Mabel points to every bird she encounters...

Andre
5 shots are a group.
F
Frm Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Andre, Mabel is absolutely beautiful. When she's ready to have pups i'd like to be on your puppy list. Enjoy life together!
Mike

"We've had enough of exhortations to be silent! Cry out with a hundred thousand tongues! I see that the world is rotten because of silence!"
St. Catherine of Sienna
A
Andre Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I'm afraid it won't be possible, Mabel was spayed before her first heat cycles.

Andre
5 shots are a group.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yes, the SMs are a great breed that is just starting to get the recognition in the USA that they deserve.

If I wanted another pointer, I'd be getting one.

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
You have yourself a very nice dog there! Congratulations!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Wow!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

489 members (007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 47 invisible), 2,137 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,778
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.