Busted sunshell.

I'm goin' fixt it.

I ordeded the parts and thingys today.

Wish me luck !

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
luck

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You should do a full write-up with pics.

I've done one small auto with tutoring and have had no desire to do it again.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'll pass on the full write up with pics.

There's a two hour video on youtube that goes through the entire disassembly and reassembly process and I ordered two ASTG manuals that have complete instructions on how to including updates and mods.

This is something I really didn't want to do but dire circumstances have forced me become a transmission rebuilder.

Hammer to fit - paint to match - under the shade of a tree.

I'll git 'er done. grin

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Tomorrow I shall perform the first righteous act in the course of exorcism.

I will levitate the beast.

I expect to be spewed with red fluid (vs green pea soup).

I shall cleanse myself and bath in pure water.

I will then drink myself silly.

Oh, BTW. I need to read the good books in order to properly perform the holy exorcism.

Both ASTG manuals.

More to come.

Last edited by fish head; 05/27/16.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by fish head
Begone demons ... begone.

My tranny took a dump.

Busted sunshell.

I'm goin' fixt it.

I ordeded the parts and thingys today.

Wish me luck !

I've done the same thing. Yours is probably in a '99 suburban or pickup. They should have re-called that problem because they knew they weren't heat treated properly. I believe they were bad from '98-2000. If you are mechanically inclined, the job won't be hard. You'll have to pull out the clutch packs and band and get into about the middle of the tranny to get the reaction sunshell out. Make sure you buy a "beast" reaction sun shell. When I bought mine, they were about $52.00. You'll spend more than that on new fluids (ATF and Autotrak II if yours has the auto 4x4 option). If you are lucky, it sheared clean and there won't be any metal fragments or debris in there. It's still a good idea to flush the tranny cooler and lines though. Depending on how many miles you have, you might want to think about changing out some of the clutch plates and steels. Always good to check them at least when you are in there. Even an upgraded 3-4 pack would be good. I also urge you to be careful with the wiring harness going into the unit. It is somewhat fragile: Don't ask me how I know that... whistle Good luck with it...

Here are some pointers:

1.Jack the vehicle up good enough so you can move around underneath it.
2. You don't have to take the exhaust loose if you are careful.
3. Separate the transfercase from the tranny.
4. Be careful with the wiring harness'.
5. Drink beer when done, not during.... laugh
6. Good luck...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
1998 K1500 148,000 miles. Always maintained and never a problem until now.

I've order the following parts:

OPT master rebuild kit
Transgo shift kit
Beast sunshell
Corvette servo
Assembly lube
Both ATSG manuals

The parts I've ordered addresses all the common issues and upgrades everything that's needed to make it a reliable transmission. The rebuild kit has new Borg Warner steels, clutches, and a high energy band. The parts totaled a little over $400.00 with expedited shipping.

Fortunately from the time the sunshell busted til I parked it in the driveway I only drove it about 15 miles. I'm going to flush the system before I remove the tranny and I don't expect to find any internal problems other than the broken sunshell.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Smart man. Sounds like you are doing exactly what it needs. My wife's went out at 80,000 and the clutches and steels still looked like new. The tranny shifted great, so all I replaced was the reaction sunshell and fluids and gaskets. I jokingly gave her a 50,000 mile warranty. The burb has another 50,000 miles on the tranny now so I guess it passed the warranty offer... laugh . Sounds like you have done your homework on what makes the 4l60e a great transmission. Take your time and you'll do just fine. What's been built by man can always be repaired by man...Or like my good friend used to always say, "If I can't fix it, I'll make it so no one else can!!!"...

You also want to watch someone who knows his chit on rebuilding transmissions, watch Hiram. This guy is a master!!:

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I already book marked that video. That guy knows his stuff and does a rebuild without all the specialty tools.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
2 hours and 20 minutes.

You about done, FH?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ironbender
2 hours and 20 minutes.

You about done, FH?

Ha ha... I'd still be working on the valve body... I'm ashamed to admit how long it took me to polish the bores on a '97 Honda accord automatic transmission... sick blush I'm rooting for fishhead though...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
2 hours and 20 minutes.

You about done, FH?

No.

I ran out of beer.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Your golden retriever is keeping a good eye on you, so you don't fu ck this rebuild up.... laugh I also think you need a bigger hammer... laugh

BSA MAGA
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
2 hours and 20 minutes.

You about done, FH?

No.

I ran out of beer.

Inexcusable!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
"Begone demons ... begone."

If you do house calls my wife's Blazer (the "Anti-Christ") could sure use a treatment.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EZEARL
"Begone demons ... begone."

If you do house calls my wife's Blazer (the "Anti-Christ") could sure use a treatment.

Now that is funny. My truck was exhibiting some of those characteristics as well. Doing pretty damn good now though after rebuilding:

1. Transmission at 111,000 miles
2. Front differential at 120,000 miles
3. Rebuilt rear end and new G80 locker
4. New transfercase around Christmas time (SOB) @ 139,000 miles.
5. Power steering unit around the same time.

The damn 5.3 still runs like a champ though. For some reason it doesn't use a drop of oil between oil changes and it runs like a mo-fo. I have to be easy on the gas pedal or it breaks them loose. I can't say enough good about that damn LS1 engine. Great design. However, to own a chevy/GMC you need to be a little mechanically inclined... Hint.. wink

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Fortunately I haven't had to repair any of the drivetrain components except for the tranny now at 148k. A couple of years ago I replaced the fluids in the front dif, trans case, rear dif and everything looked perfect.

I bought my truck new and I've always kept up with the preventative maintenance but I done my far share of fixing all the notorious issues:

Fuel pump
Intake manifold gaskets
Steering components: pump, high pressure line, tie rod ends, pitman arm, steering box (adjusted to factory specs to remove the slop), rag joint

^^^ Those are just the major items. I've done lots of other minor work and it runs and drives as good as or better than new.

It would cost a fortune to maintain one of these if you weren't mechanically inclined and can DIY.

I''ll keep this thing until it totally dies or rots out. The engine is solid and since the last oil change, 4,000 miles ago, it's only used about a 1/4 of a quart of oil and I have some very minor leaks.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
292k on mine. Have not even pulled a valve cover. Brakes. Bearings and ft end stuff. Roads suck here. Have a feeling the whOle show will go tits up at same time.

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Fortunately I haven't had to repair any of the drivetrain components except for the tranny now at 148k. A couple of years ago I replaced the fluids in the front dif, trans case, rear dif and everything looked perfect.

I bought my truck new and I've always kept up with the preventative maintenance but I done my far share of fixing all the notorious issues:

Fuel pump
Intake manifold gaskets
Steering components: pump, high pressure line, tie rod ends, pitman arm, steering box (adjusted to factory specs to remove the slop), rag joint

^^^ Those are just the major items. I've done lots of other minor work and it runs and drives as good as or better than new.

It would cost a fortune to maintain one of these if you weren't mechanically inclined and can DIY.

I''ll keep this thing until it totally dies or rots out. The engine is solid and since the last oil change, 4,000 miles ago, it's only used about a 1/4 of a quart of oil and I have some very minor leaks.

That reminds me, I also replaced the pitman and idler arm with Moog parts. These trucks last a long time if you do a little preventative maintenance and upkeep on them. Unfortunately, my parts failed because of my heavy foot laugh. You can only slide the truck sideways so many times before your G80 gives up. They just weren't made for that kind of abuse on the pavement. In all, I'm pretty happy with my '04 sierra 4x4 pickup and my wifes suburban ('99). However, regrettably we sold the suburban last year. Dumb move on my part. The only thing that went bad on the burb was the distributor cap, 3 alternators, and the notorious reaction sun shell. Not too bad for a 17 year old truck..

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,115
Posts18,464,490
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.