Print Thread
Hop To
G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Spent a little time with the 11.7mm Danish Rolling Block today, at the range! Dad bought this rifle shortly after WWII, and fired one round through it. He and I have talked of shooting this rifle for years, and a few years ago we unraveled a few of the "secrets" of this long-obsolete cartridge and he assembled some ammo on .45-70 cases, shortened a bit. He never did get it out to try the new ammo at the range, but is real happy that I made it happen today. Only fired 4 shots through it, and only at 10 yards. Mild recoil, pleasant sounding dull "boom" (like a .45-70 Trapdoor load). Trigger pull is about 963 pounds... Maybe more... Danes must have strong trigger fingers! Hey, I'm 1/4 Dane myself, no problem!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wow! This was so much fun! I'm going to stretch the range next time, out to 50 or 100 yards, and start doing some handloading for it myself. Todays loads used a .459" 405 grain flat-nose cast lead bullet. I don't know what Dad's powder charge was. It was very mild though. As is appropriate for the ol' beast.

Regards, Guy

GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Nice.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Outstanding! That looks like a fine piece!

You should hook up with Crossfireoops. He has a bit of knowledge about those rifles and that caliber. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Thanks Ed, I'll look him up.

I've got a lot of learning to do here...

Guy

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Nice looking rifle!

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Major cool points there!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Thanks! I surely do like the ol' Warhorse! smile

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Those old rollers are cool. And they pretty much all have heavy triggers, in my limited experience. But the triggers aren't creepy, so you can actually shoot them pretty well once you get used to it.

I'm guessing that a Danish soldier who grew up milking cows and toted one of those rifles around all day had pretty strong hands. Light trigger not needed, or even much wanted, since the rifle had no safety once cocked.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hogeye
Those old rollers are cool. And they pretty much all have heavy triggers, in my limited experience. But the triggers aren't creepy, so you can actually shoot them pretty well once you get used to it.

I'm guessing that a Danish soldier who grew up milking cows and toted one of those rifles around all day had pretty strong hands. Light trigger not needed, or even much wanted, since the rifle had no safety once cocked.

The SPORTING Nordic rollers are a different cup of tea, as are the original American Domestic Sport and Target models.

Tuning a roller to a SAFE 2 1/2, 3 Lb. trigger pull is pretty standard here,....

One of the things that the original guns were up against was that ENORMOUS firing pin, needing to be driven like the wrath of God into some pretty weird and insensitive (at times) primers. The requirement for a Gonga Main spring is not condusive to fine tuning,...

The sporting Nordics will take one's breath away,....BEAUTIFUL, no nonsense hunting / stalking rifles.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by Hogeye

The SPORTING Nordic rollers are a different cup of tea, as are the original American Domestic Sport and Target models.

Tuning a roller to a SAFE 2 1/2, 3 Lb. trigger pull is pretty standard here,....

One of the things that the original guns were up against was that ENORMOUS firing pin, needing to be driven like the wrath of God into some pretty weird and insensitive (at times) primers. The requirement for a Gonga Main spring is not condusive to fine tuning,...

The sporting Nordics will take one's breath away,....BEAUTIFUL, no nonsense hunting / stalking rifles.

GTC

Any ideas for reducing the trigger pull on this wonderful monster? The 963 pound pull is taxing even my enormous strength... smile

Thanks, Guy

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A.) Do NOT let anybody change the sear notch or sear geometry,EVER. If they show you a bisected rolling block action that they use as a "tuning fixture",...well, maybe.
If the hammer's full cock notch has been hacked on by bubba and his trusty Dremel,....the half cock notch is likely battering the hammer sear, and decelerating the hammer fall.

B.) The "Pull" is influenced to a lesser degree by the trigger spring, and the lever lock spring. I'm putting this here so's to advise that they be left alone, 'til later in the job.

C.) The PRIMARY factor that must be looked at is Mainspring tension, and trigger sear to hammer sear notch DEPTH of engagement. With a snap cap in place, or a piece of leather fitted into the firing pin recess as a cushion,....slowly break the trigger, and while pulling it out of the overly deep military sear notch,...take careful note of the way that the trigger sear is actually LIFTING the hammer, e.g. moving it backward,....just prior to finally allowing the hammer to drop. This indicates CORRECT trigger sear / sear notch geometry. Having established that the foregoing is indeed what's taking place we can than move on to how to lighten, and slick up the situation,....simply, safely and non invasively.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Thanks for the great input!

I'm not ready to plunge into tearing this thing apart and modifying it at all yet. Just a fun range toy, and although this rifle has been in my family my entire 60 years, this year is the first time I've ever seen it fired. Feeling good about that!

I doubt it will ever be a high-use rifle, so am content to just keep it clean & ready, and load a little ammo for it. Take it to the range now and again. Who knows? Might talk myself into hunting with it someday!

GTC - thanks for sharing your knowledge - I'm just not in any kind of hurry to get this thing torn down and start working it over.

Regards, Guy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great piece of history, enjoy her.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
GTC - thanks for sharing your knowledge - I'm just not in any kind of hurry to get this thing torn down and start working it over.

The field stripping of rolling block pattern rifles started a VERY long time ago, and was probably performed more often by complete illiterates, after a brief training session. It's not about "tearing down", by a long shot.
The removal of ONE screw is required.
Field stripping that thing, blowing it out with some compressed air, and dabbing a bit of good gun grease around with a Q-tip might cut the trigger pull in half.

Oh well,

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 05/29/16.

G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Cool. Thanks!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 50 invisible), 2,341 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,827
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.