Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Not long ago someone suggested that there was a need to start a new Traditional Muzzleloading forum to isolate the purists from the inline trash. Based on the traffic on the current, integrated one, I'd say that notion is premature. laugh

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I agree. Not a lot going on, when nobody is hunting with a muzzleloader. Personally, I'm kinda in the middle. I like the fit, looks, and balance of traditional, but use scopes, sabots, and BP substitutes. Not a purist.

Last edited by benchman; 05/16/16.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yep, no need for a traditionalist forum when here hardley no traffic in the basic muzzleloader forum.....It will pick back up in late Summer or Early Fall.....Hb

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Naw! Me thinks the 'Traditionalist' (Patched Round Ball Shooters) folks are gonna just move over to the BPCR section and let the 'Inlineist' (Pyrodex & whatever) and Sabot shooters have this one!

Two totally different disciplines altogether!! The two don't mix!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Believe it or not, over on my forum, traditional muzzleloading has taken over and the inline section is falling. Those that shot inlines, some have gone and bought traditional and are getting into it. Pretty cool when that happens!

If you guys want some new material, my forum is open for reading to guests.

IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
inline trash
ummmmmmm ok.......................

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My subtle humor has plumb evaded you, I see.

Inline is all I have at present. Subject to change, of course at any time.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I find Inlines to be more waterproof on ignition and their fast twist barrels shoot sabot/bullets a-lot farther than my roundball sidelock. Also, much easier to clean with their removable breechplugs.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I regard my scoped Knight as a 100-125 yard rifle even though it could be stretched a bit farther, pretty much the same as .54 roundball gun. Using capguards makes a percussion gun pretty weatherproof. Using a Ballistol-water mix, followed by straight Ballistol allowed me to clean my caplocks in a few minutes.

My point is, there ain't as much difference as you might think. The biggest advantage I gained by going inline was the help my old eyes gets from the scope. Irons are tough for me these days.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
In the end, it doesnt matter how long it takes to clean, they ALL need to be cleaned properly. Any gun that gets cleaned in 3 minutes usually isn't one that i'd be buying.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Never found my Hawkens to be hard to clean at all. Have had one of them for almost 20 years and the bore looks great .

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Next to NOT being cleaned, I suspect most MLs are damaged by improper hot-water cleaning.

Ballistol eliminates that because even at 10-1, rust won't form in a solution of Ballistol and water. The proper ratio is 4 or 5 to one for cleaning, followed by straight Ballistol for protection.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'm on my third barrel of my TC Hawkin Sidelock.Good thing TC has a life time warranty. Been using it since 1976. I do havea TC Black Diamond,but those old things were not break open action.I do us both though.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Many of us shoot Muzzleloaders only because it adds another week or two to the hunting season. If my state would adopt regulations like others, and allow centerfire handguns, or straight wall centerfires to Primitive season, I wouldnt even own one.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've always enjoyed carrying and shooting sidelocks (perm and flint), but decided to try an inline just for the heck of it and so I could use a scope. I could very easily get along with only it for all my deer hunting. It's been years since I fired more than one shot with a CF or at over 100 yards. I haven't played with it as much as I'd liked, but will remedy that this summer. BH209 is very easy to work with and it and real BP is all I'll ever use in the future.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I'm on my third barrel of my TC Hawkin Sidelock.Good thing TC has a life time warranty. Been using it since 1976. I do havea TC Black Diamond,but those old things were not break open action.I do us both though.

Better take it easy on that barrel because you no longer have a warranty on that model.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
For some odd reason....I don't think there's 31 viewing!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Actually, things are pretty dead all over the whole site.

Guess I'll go back to Touch Tanks and get my azz blown off some more.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I disagree with that assessment in general terms, but things do normally slow down on shooting web sites this time of year.

Thinking the issue at hand deserves constructive discussion. What I have seen here is continuous rancor between the factions of inline shooters and traditional muzzle loading weapons. It discourages participation by participants on both sides.

With that said, there is a site link below that is a successful site for traditional ML arms and the administrator there has zero tolerance for any discussion about modern arms of any ilk. His web site, his rules. I'm sure there are sites devoted to inlines and more power to them, but it does this site no good to mix oil and water. It drives very knowledgeable folks in other directions, regardless of their philosophy. My sense of things is that the inline crowd is younger and perhaps less introspective, where the traditional group might be more historically oriented. Both styles have their place in the shooting sports in my opinion, but the interaction here at the 'Fire has not been a positive affair. It is the reason I seldom post in this forum.

http://www.americanlongrifles.org/forum/

There is another site devoted to the sport of schuetzen sports and esoteric artifacts of the National Rifle Club and there is no tolerance there for off topic intervention for any reason.

I'm recalling a gentleman that used to post here by the name of Captchee and he was a wealth of knowledge on topic of traditional guns and his departure is a loss for all of us. I'd prefer to not see that happen in the future.

Dan

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I would have to agree with you DD. I don't understand the need of some to post in a thread not of their interest negative comments or how "their way" is better or correct. Folks from neither "faction" are innocent of this. Sad the intolerance that exists here.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (222Sako, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,115
Posts18,464,467
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.