Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
So what damage was caused by the accident and what damage did the gunsmith do when be "beat it apart"?

Hmmmmm.... There is that.

I wonder if the chamber split and THEN to get the barrel and slide separated the "gunsmith" split the slide like a piece of firewood.

I'm not seeing how an obstructed bore caused the chamber to split, the rest of the barrel stay intact, then the slide and frame split from the muzzle backward.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do not believe NHC has posted a finding of cause, beyond acknowledging they received the pistol for inspection and they advised a replacement was forthcoming. But, from reading other blog postings by NHC, the impression I got was that the effect of the chamber end of the barrel splitting, and whatever the physics of that leverage and energy, resulted in the slide and dust cover being split forward from that point. So I'd guess the barrel itself worked like a wedge, with the exceedingly high pressure in the chamber acting like the maul against the slide.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Okay, just found the answer from NHC:

The photos are not a depiction of the damage. The pistol did not look that way from the failure. The pictures were taken after the pistol was busted open, after the fact. The actual failure was positively identified as being a squib load, that was not recognized by the operator, who then fired a round behind it. NHC has photos taken of the chamber to document the squib.

Last edited by GaryVA; 05/30/16.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The original pistol was a birthday gift, being exceptionally nice and of high quality. However,the ammo chosen and used, in my opinion, was cheap junk, having a track record for being crappy. Add to the equation, an excited new owner who was unable to detect the report and recoil of the squib. Recipe, for a broken pistol.

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596849

NHC posted photos and findings here. Nutshell, operator error, but they still stand behind product.

- Clint Eastwood
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So what damage was caused by the accident and what damage did the gunsmith do when be "beat it apart"?

I wonder if the chamber split and THEN to get the barrel and slide separated the "gunsmith" split the slide like a piece of firewood.

From the link....
The pistol that we received had been pried and beat open. The owner of the pistol said a gunsmith had done so to remove the spent case. We did not receive the spent case when the pistol was re

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Blue wins a detective badge.

And a box of Magnums.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Speaks volumes for Nighthawk... For them to even touch a gun that was "opened up" by the gunsmith in such a manner is beyond customer service.

And my question is why did said "owner" not immediately contact NH instead of having the shell extracted...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Was the shooter Shrapnel?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RJM
Speaks volumes for Nighthawk... For them to even touch a gun that was "opened up" by the gunsmith in such a manner is beyond customer service.

And my question is why did said "owner" not immediately contact NH instead of having the shell extracted...

Bob

I think it is a fair to assume the owner has more dollars than sense.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
God bless John Browning.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Just curious , was this a ramped barrel by chance?

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bea175
a Nighthawk 1911 chambered in 10mm. He said it was the most accurate handgun he has ever shot. Until it exploded.
From what my friend Greg was told, his friend was using off the shelf Armscor 10mm ammo.

1911s don’t explode as easily as polymer framed pistols. However this one was spectacular.
if you look at the picture at the top, you can see the chamber is split. I am not sure how that caused the slide to split down the middle, top and bottom. Then look at the damage to the dust cover of the frame.

When I saw these pictures the first thought in my mind was “Is the shooter ok?”. Greg assuaged my concerns and told me his friend received no harm from this accident. I think that is something remarkable about this Nighthawk 1911. It received this much damage from the 10mm round but the shooter was ok. Not sure if it was luck or due to the high quality that Nighthawk is known for. Unfortunately the shooter was unable to find any remnants of the round that detonated.

Nighthawk has never seen anything like this before and are building the owner a new gun as I post this.

Barrel obstructions are bad news regardless of the cartridge, barrel type, etc.

The fact the shooter is okay has more to do with the design of the pistol than the fact it is a Nighthawk. Engineers do think about things such as catastrophic failures, and most firearms are designed to protect the shooter from the worst.

Very impressive that the case didn't blow...at least I don't see the normal evidence of a failed case, which would be a bulged grip frame, splintered grips and a magazine stuck in the pistol. My bet is the barrel rupture locked the slide to the barrel, which is why the case didn't blow.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I ain't buying that a gunsmith "opened it up". Look at the edges of the cracks in the frame and slide, they show the grain structure of the metal and no tool or cutter marks that I can make out. If it was locked closed how did someone split it in half like stove wood without any peening or cutting to get it to split?

I don't know how it did what it did but my guess would have something to do with improper heat treat of the slide. If it was more brittle than it should be a bulging barrel from a bore obstruction might make it crack.

Nice of NH to replace it at any rate.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Squib loads= bad news. I say ban hearing protection. wink

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GaryVA
http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596849

NHC posted photos and findings here. Nutshell, operator error, but they still stand behind product.

You can see a bulge in the barrel, ahead of the chamber. Yep, it was almost certainly a squib/bore obstruction.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
So they're saying the shooter found a squib in a box of Armscor factory ammo and that's what caused this massive failure?

I've seen many factory rounds that were defective, but rare...squib reloads are 1,000,000% more common.

Probably the most common error coming from reloaders using progressive machines.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
No, they are saying the shooter is a liar and claimed factory ammo when it was in fact a hand load squib, hence the reason for the gunsmith to extract and throw the empty away.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wonder how a TC 10" would do? Likely one hole and never let go.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Does anyone know if there was a picture of the gun taken after the trigger was pulled and before the gunsmith opened it up....

I have been present when several 1911s have been fired with a squib in the barrel and the damage to the gun was nothing like this. One of my friends did it during an IPSC shoot... Blew out the magazine, bulged the barrel and bent the dust cover. His gunsmith straightened out the dust cover, put in a new barrel and the gun was ready to go at the next months match...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

479 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 55 invisible), 2,910 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,558
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.