Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho, like many other states, recently enacted a $75/yr registration surcharge on hybrid cars to offset the loss of fuel tax. For some strange reason, owners of hybrids are up in arms saying they shouldn't have to pay taxes to maintain the roads. The poor babies don't want to pay to play.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
No, the liberal pukes want us to subsidize their travels with the gas tax on our pickups.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How about bicycles?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
hell, i'd be pissed as well. they tell us to "save the earth" by using less fuel. Then they penalize us for it.
personally, i drive a F350 diesel, but i also drive a motorcycle.

they'll probably tax me for the fuel gulping truck! are they going to tax the motorcycle too?

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Would you prefer they put a GPS in your vehicles and tax you by the mile? The roads have to be paid for one way or another.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Since we can trust the gov. there is no reason to distrust a GPS. Too high a ton mile tax will make our watermelons cost more, but there has to be a way to fund roads. I have noticed a class distinction from the "better" cars, they seem to be jerks behind the wheel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That would probably be the "fairest" way, provided they dropped the fuel tax, which will never, ever, happen of course (don't forget the phone tax levied to pay for the Spanish-American War and collected for over 100years). An adjustment would have to be made for the GVW to compensate for the extra wear caused by heavy vehicles.

Studies have shown that hybrid drivers have to keep their little sippers for a long, long, time to recover the extra investment for the hybrid stuff, longer than almost anyone keeps a car these days. It's not hard to imagine that eventually there'll be a "exit fee" for old hybrids going to the crusher to pay for recycling the batteries. I imagine that more than a few greenies will be re-thinking their committment to the cause.

No good deed ever goes unpunished, and most politicians never met a tax they didn't like.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Would you prefer they put a GPS in your vehicles and tax you by the mile? The roads have to be paid for one way or another.

Stop spending the state's money on every little idea social welfare feel good idea that pops in their heads and instead spend it on core infrastructure like a state should? I know, crazy talk.

Even the Comptroller of Maryland, naturally a Democrat, gets it and has steadfastly opposed tax increases from his party and has told the legislature there is plenty of money if they would spend it on what they should and not the aforementioned crap.

It's really not that hard.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Virginia allows hybrid drivers to use the HOV lanes without having to stuff their cars with strangers or (or mannequins), totally at odds with the logic for creating them in the first place, just to encourage the use of the little eco-mobiles. They get a special plate for identification.

Politicians are great at getting it wrong, then getting it wronger to try and fix it. Apparently however, a tax is never a mistake.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Virginia allows hybrid drivers to use the HOV lanes without having to stuff their cars with strangers or (or mannequins), totally at odds with the logic for creating them in the first place, just to encourage the use of the little eco-mobiles. They get a special plate for identification.

Politicians are great at getting it wrong, then getting it wronger to try and fix it. Apparently however, a tax is never a mistake.

Here in Warshington they give small cars a discount on ferry fares, then don't penalize them for wasting five feet in front of them when they park.....

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
hell, i'd be pissed as well. they tell us to "save the earth" by using less fuel. Then they penalize us for it.
personally, i drive a F350 diesel, but i also drive a motorcycle.

they'll probably tax me for the fuel gulping truck! are they going to tax the motorcycle too?

Britain's already taxing by the mile, just to discourage driving so as to protect the environment. They also have big fees for driving into the cities, I believe, something that NYC has copied.

All this has no effect on the well-to-do, of course, who can afford to do whatever they want. The poor schmuck just trying to get by is the one that really gets hit by this crap. So much for the Left looking out for the little guy.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brazos
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Here in Warshington they give small cars a discount on ferry fares, then don't penalize them for wasting five feet in front of them when they park.....

Wa state employees can also charge their cars on tax payers dime while at work....

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Pure Bullcrap. Every time they add a tax for highway driving (in screwball CA), the tax is never enough, and disappears into teacher and state employees pension. This gets another tax in a year or so, Governor Moonbeam says we need another tax, and the roads still suck. So we get another tax or fee which mostly goes to pensions again.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
They ought to look at the environmental impact of mining heavy metals for batteries vs. drilling for oil/gas. Not to mention, the Chinese have the market cornered on all those battery materials. Then, get back to me on which vehicle has less environmental "impact".

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I hate the illegal and unconstitutional taxes that add more layers to the corruption but it's ironic and satisfying that the Toyota Pious drivers are being penalized for driving a "green car". Like previously mentioned, the amount of rare earth minerals needed for a hybrid hardly makes it a responsible choice.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
It's not so much "how much" environmental impact, as it is "where" the environmental impact occurs.

They are burning hydrocarbons to produce the electricity for those hybrids and electrics. They just aren't burning it in the city where all the greenie wienies tend to congregate.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An objective assessment of the real total environmental impact of the hybrids vs. the guzzlers would be interesting, and never see the light of day. It's all about creating a narrative to justify Hoovering money put of our wallets to spend or give to someone else. It's done in stages, of course. Few would buy a hybrid knowing up front that a big tax was going to be levied later.

Perhaps the biggest scam is the trading of carbon credits, which allows polluters to go on polluting as long as they buy credits from those who'll never use them, brokered through rich azzholes like Albert Gore Junior, who naturally take a little off the top. The sums invloved are so huge that a little off the top adds up to major bucks. Of course, the total amount of pollutants is the same, but everything becomes more expensive and old Crazy Al just gets fatter.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What do the farmers pay for using the roads cowboy ?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Studded tires do more damage to the roads than anything.

All this sheit amounts to is another way greedy bureaucracies can divide public sentiment and tax another segment of society. I say no more taxes.

Last edited by Fireball2; 05/30/16.

LOL
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
How about a ten thousand a year tax for those who walk to the corner store.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 20 invisible), 2,162 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,649
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.