Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Is this a no license no limit target in your state?

I know Washington and Montana have a no regulation status for them. Non-indigenous pests like rats. They are quite good to eat and here there are so many.

I'm not sure of the history or how they got here. There are 10:1 collard doves to morning doves now. They are about twice the size too.

They are fantastic air rifle quarry!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Good to hear they taste good Jim! They are fair game here and in Texas....an invasive species.

I think as fast as they've multiplied around here that they are the Passenger Pigeon of the future! grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nevada just added them as a game bird this year.
Many have fallen in my back yard to the Crossman verminator.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Invasive species here in CO....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Use this picture to get permission from dairies all over....

[Linked Image]

I like those big breasts...

[Linked Image]

And they sure are tasty...

[Linked Image]

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Invasive species in most states.

Good eating. But, we are better off without them.

I can't imagine NV making them a game animal... Anything for a buck, I reckon. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Most of the ring necks around here seem to prefer town. What's hit us are Whitewings. They have driven most of the mourning doves off here. We still have a few but they are in the minority now. I wonder if the Whitewings run the ring necks off too? Dunno???

I remember seeing a pair of ring necks around here about 20 years ago. But not now. Drive 10'miles down the highway and they are everywhere on outskirts of town.

I heard a rumor the ring necks got their toe hold here from people releasing them at weddings and such. It seemed to be the thing a lots of morons were doing here.

Releasing the birds, not getting married.

Well there are a lot of morons here getting married too. And having moron offspring. The circle of life continues.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My understanding is that they escaped from an aviary in the Bahama's then came through Florida to everywhere. -Muddy

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by muddy22
My understanding is that they escaped from an aviary in the Bahama's then came through Florida to everywhere. -Muddy

Yup, happened back in the 80s. 10-12 years ago they were non-existent here (West Coast NorCal) They're everywhere now.

License required, no bag limit, no closed season.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I'll have to try frying some up. Wonder how they taste around here, as their sole diet is my lab's dog food on the back deck. The damn things clean the dish out faster than I can fill it up.....

My .25-06 shoots 1/4" all day long and I don't even have to do my part...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Nevada just added them as a game bird this year.
Many have fallen in my back yard to the Crossman verminator.

Where did you see this? I can't find any reference to it.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
luv2safari,
I believe I read early last year that the Wildlife Board was going to consider adding the Euroasian Dove as a game bird.
I didn't hunt dove last year but I just pulled up the migratory bird regs and I see that the Collared Dove is not a protected species and does not count toward the bag limit.

So, I was wrong. You can still shoot all the collared doves you want, whenever and wherever you want in Nevada.

I'll have some crow with my dove.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They love my Koi pond.
Morning doves are warm weather guests to the pond, collared dove are year round residents.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NVhntr
luv2safari,
I believe I read early last year that the Wildlife Board was going to consider adding the Euroasian Dove as a game bird.
I didn't hunt dove last year but I just pulled up the migratory bird regs and I see that the Collared Dove is not a protected species and does not count toward the bag limit.

So, I was wrong. You can still shoot all the collared doves you want, whenever and wherever you want in Nevada.

I'll have some crow with my dove.

Thanks for setting me straight.

You scared me! eek grin

I thought I might be a dastardly criminal. laugh

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk
They love my Koi pond.
Morning doves are warm weather guests to the pond, collared dove are year round residents.

They nest here on my small farm and stay all year. I find that the mourning doves stay a much shorter time since the collareds took up residency. They also make the place sound a lot like Africa.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can shoot as many as you want whenever you want here in S.C. as long as you have a license but they aren't here all the time. The first one I ever saw was about 15 years ago when a buddy shot one on a dove shoot. Never saw any more until about 5 years ago. Went on a shoot and there were as many collareds around as mournings. Haven't seen any in that same field since, nor any other field. I do occasionally see a few around town but never where I can shoot them.

Last edited by SCGunNut; 05/30/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Invasive here in Idaho, rank right in there with starlings.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Dog Shooter

The Disco and 13?? just work don't they.
177 or 22?

So tell us about that recipe ya got going.

So far I have not seen one at the feeders, but they seem to have them in W. TN, a lot more agriculture out there.

From the looks of the shooting by the AZ and CA airgunners on youtube, collared dove could be on the menu 3 times a day.

Last edited by LouisB; 06/02/16.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
.177 13 series.... it has dispatched quite a few critters in the yard....

[Linked Image]

That's a Mac1 tuned .22 Disco... it runs the 15.9gr JSB at about 850fps for 17 shots on a 2200 psi fill. It's fun as hell to shoot, especially at 80-125 yards where you can watch the pellet in flight. Busting clays out to 125 yards is pretty easy... unless there's some wind... then those little pills get pretty squirley.

[Linked Image]

Recipe is pretty easy... flour, S&P the the breasts on the bone, brown in butter... add shiitake mushrooms, simmer in Marsalla wine until cooked to your taste. Remove the breasts, thicken remainder of sauce if necessary.... serve with risotto cakes and broiled asparagus....

Last edited by Dogshooter; 06/02/16.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Kinda in the vein of the thread,

Young son was playing disc golf at a City of Austin park (not too far from where poboy lives) and witnessed this "homeless" guy with an old
Daisy 880 fill up one of them old chain clip fish stringers with Whitewings one Sunday morning. He said the guy wandered back off into the hobo jungle along the creek where they could see smoke. So I suppose he had a feast!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Is this a no license no limit target in your state?

I'm pretty sure a lic. is needed no matter what you're hunting here, but the collard is fair game year round with no limits.

Air rifles are legal for resident small game, which includes birds (turkey too) and is the reason I've got a Hatsan AT44PA in .25 due here Friday.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (5sdad, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 26 invisible), 1,913 guests, and 1,004 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,499
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.