-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What kind of fishing? With family? Kids? Occasional coastal jaunts for salmon or trout?
I had a 16' Yamaha-powered Sea Nymph tiller for almost 20 years, great boat. But it wasn't for really big open water like I often used it for.
I was a bit skeptical when I made the switch to a full console, but now I'm hooked.

I fish big water these days for blueback (kokane) and lake trout, as well as some big white-capped Canadian waters and really like the windshield console. The coverage is great and a guy doesn't feel completely beat up after a long day on the water.

Really like my Lund 162 xl sport. It offers great protection and stability for family out there. Full canvas is only a few snaps away.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have an '05 Crestliner Canadian 1650 with a side console and was thinking about selling it and looking for something maybe a foot or two longer with a more open floor plan, but have pretty well talked myself out of it. My use is fishing the local rivers for kings and silvers and crabbing the bays. If I were to sell it I'd have to look for something for about equal money and that means either older and/or rivited (my boat is welded) and decided against that. I am going to look at having a canvas cabin built for it.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by SamSteele
I'll go against the trend and throw my vote in for a console, with one of the main reasons being weight further forward in the boat makes getting up on plane easier. I have had a bunch of tillers and hated cracking the throttle and having the front end come up so high you can't see where you are going. End up putting your tackle and stuff up in the front to keep the bow down, then you need to go get it from there when you start fishing, move it to the back where you are running the boat, and then move it back when you are wanting to move. With a console boat your tackle can be right beside you, you have a windshield to help keep the chill off, and you are that much farther from the motor, so less noise. A single console boat still has a ton of fishable room and is easy to move around.

All that said, I would place reliability of the rig above the layout.

SS

A tiller with power tilt and trim handles that quite easily.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
To me, a one sided counsel is best. You can sit wherever you want in the boat with a decent trolling motor and also have the convenience of a steering wheel,tilt/trim to load.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 3,272 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,590
Posts18,454,293
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.