Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
And I use the term "nerd" affectionately. grin

We currently have Time Warner Cable and are paying for their 300MBS internet plan. Our equipment has taken a dump again as we're currently getting less than 1MBS.

What all do I need to ditch their crap? Every computer, TV, etc is wireless. Nothing hard wired, so I need a good wireless setup.

Thanks,

Dan

Last edited by clark98ut; 05/30/16.
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Connect a computer directly to your cable modem via an ethernet cable. Test your speed directly from the modem.

Reboot your cable modem.

If your connection is still slow via ethernet, call your provider. The problem is most likely on their end. If you are paying for zippy service, they should fix it for you.

If it's on your end:

What type of wifi router are you using? If it's an older 2.4 GHz only, you probably will do better with a newer model that includes 5 GHz. I switched a while back, and have the Archer C7. It improved speeds and range significantly.

Download the Wifi Analyzer app to your smart phone. It will show you what channels are in use nearby. Someone may have opened up a wifi setup near you that is interfering. Most new units have automatic channel selection and will pick a less used channel for you.

Last edited by denton; 05/30/16.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
denton,

Appreciate the info, and I've tried all that already. Unfortunately this is a hardware issue on my end. I'm looking to replace TWC's junk equipment with something good. They're supposed to send someone out....next Sunday!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
300 mbps? Damn.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swifty52
300 mbps? Damn.

We canceled cable TV a few years ago and stream all of our TV now through Amazon or Apple TV/Netflix, so we need all the bandwidth we can get.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by clark98ut
denton,
Unfortunately this is a hardware issue on my end. I'm looking to replace TWC's junk equipment with something good.

If you're sure it's your in-home hardware, & you want to buy your own, it's going to cost you some money but denton gave good advice on what to get.

If it's their hardware in your home, I think I'd make them replace it to your satisfaction, even if you bought it.

Are you using their internet service for phone as well?

MM

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
MM,

No home phone, just cellular.

It's definitely something in the house, and I'm assuming it's their hardware. I was on the phone with some Indian (red dot, not feather) that spent about 20 minutes checking everything outside the house. We were supposedly getting good speeds to the house.

So that Archer C7 is a good one?

Thanks,

Dan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Damn dude, i could do that and more on 30mbps thru twc. Your modem sucks, or your wireless router sucks or both. Ethernet isnt going to help.

Swifty
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Try the OOKlA speed test... Time Warner has one similar on their web site, but always good to try a couple different sites not of their own!

Link

I have Time Warner Cable package with the 200 Mbps and my download speed shows 235.98 and upload speed is 23.59 Mbps.

Sounds like maybe you've got a bad cable, or if using wireless the supplied router has gone bad... OR somebody has hacked into your system and using up all your resources...

Phil

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by clark98ut

So that Archer C7 is a good one?

Never used one, but it looks good on paper, but it's just a router so you'll still need a modem.

If it were me, & because I like Netgear stuff, I'd likely buy a Netgear combination modem & router, like their Nighthawk AC-1900 or the AC-1750 for a little less money.

For a straight modem only, try the Netgear CM500-100NAS.

Good Luck.

MM

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's another speed test from an independent party also.

The speed test is down at the bottom of the page in the right hand corner.

MegaPath

MM

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a SURFboard cable modem coupled with a Netgear wireless router and they work pretty good.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Net gear is one of the better ones.

Keep in mind most of that wifi gear has a 3-5 year shelf life, then it takes a dump.

For your TWC problem, you probably just need a new cable modem, or they have thier head up thier arse from a operations perspective - sounds like you may be experiencing both.

I'm a network ' telecom guy - one thing you want to do is to realize that your WiFi really tends to bottleneck your service down to what it can carry, which is typically ~50 Meg's. SO if you are buying more than 50 Meg's from a provider you are hurting yourself if you don't wire some of your gear.

I always put a hub (my place) at the modem location, and I also put one anyplace I have a large amount of network computers. I buy 1 Gig-e/100Meg switches with POE (power over Ethernet) in case I want to put video cameras out.

Regards,
Spot

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Check your cables first.

LinkSys ( Cisco / Belkin ) or Netgear for your hardware if you need to replace anything.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Linksys has both commercial grade that providers buy (OK )...

And consumer grade that you get at Best Buy, and other places.

I've had 3 linksys consumer grade boxes take a [bleep]... I will not buy them again, and wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 05/30/16.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
As a couple of people have mentioned, cables can also be a problem.

For the speeds you are paying for, you probably want Cat7 ethernet cable, not over about 50 feet, from your modem to your router. Another thing people don't think about much is the coaxial cable from the street to your modem. If there is a defect in the jacket, and it leaks a little bit, you get water in your coax, and dang poor signal.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
TWC can run a ping on his modem and tell exactly what is going on remotely, had them for 10 years. Modem compatibility is a big issue with them. Buy your own modem, go to TWC and they have a compatibility list with modems that will handle your speed.
For wireless it isnt a big issue, the router needs to have the speed on both bands for optimum performance. As I said before I ran 4 computers, 3 diffrent Roku streamers and was getting 40 mbps down and 10 mbps up on a wireless setup and 30 Mbps plan had absolutely no problems. Sometimes with placement of the wireless router walls and power boxes tend to give it fits. Try diffrent placements if possible, if not get a range extender to fill in the voids.

Swifty

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

607 members (160user, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 70 invisible), 2,128 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,296
Posts18,449,007
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.