Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 19 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 18 19
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Of course I had to un-mouse that heater box and related ducts with good ole soap and water.

Next it was power steering, then rip the dash apart and fix the wiring, eventually paint the bare metal floor with epoxy primer. Then remove seat, disassemble, weld broken springs, recover seat with new vinyl upholstery.

[Linked Image]

Rebuild carburetor, replace broken plug wire, install new turn signal sockets, replace fuel filter, top off all fluids, bleed brakes, replace torn shifter boot where mice were getting in.

Done, she runs smooth and strong, all lights functional, brakes are great, heater is fantastic, doesn't stink, looks like hell but functionally fantastic.

I let her slide a little too far from drivable so it took a little extra effort to bring her around. But it's good to have the old junker back on the trails.

Something clever here.

GB2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
what kind of Epoxy primer did you use on the floor? I usually use bedliner on the floors, but the primer looks good.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I use SPI primers and clear coats in my restoration shop. About a week and a half ago I mixed about 30 ounces of SPI epoxy gray. It has a minimum half hour induction time prior to application. A lot of SPI users will induce this stuff up to 48-72 hours prior to use to increase viscosity which results in higher film build. (I will restrain from spinning off into a lengthy discussion on this that's better suited for a restoration topic)

I mixed my primer too soon, it had been inducing for like 4 or 5 days and was becoming too thick, so rather than throw it away I grabbed a paint brush and coated the whole floor on the old truck.

Epoxy is the-chit for locking out water. But the very best would be to use both, my epoxy topped with your bedliner. The bedliner gives the abrasion protection and with the epoxy under it, well you just couldn't beat that combo.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When's the next time you'll be in MT with an empty flatbed?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by toad
yesterday I ditched the limited slip 'Gov Lock' rear diff for a Detroit Locker in the Duramax.

brakes and gooseneck hitch are next.

B&W turnover ball?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
yes. was gonna just put a plate/ball in the bed, but the B&W is just too easy.

tracking shows hitch kit to arrive tomorrow. rotors/pads arrived today.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Well...today, I looked, and measured, and shopped for the best option for winch for my rig...After having to call a wrecker to come drag me out of a hole, and ruining a darned good hunting day.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
When's the next time you'll be in MT with an empty flatbed?

What do ya got?

Something clever here.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I bet you like it. One caveat I've been told is to remove the ball if you are loading the bed heavy or same with a bp trailer. Possibility of contacting rear diff.

Last edited by ironbender; 10/31/16.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
I bet you like it. One caveat I've been told is to remove the ball if you are loading the bed heavy or same with a bp trailer. Possibility of contacting rear diff.
My pickup has a gooseneck hitch that I've never used. I've never thought to look under there when I'm loaded. I'll have to remember that.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
thanks for the heads up...maybe i'll make up a dummy plug for the receiver and keep the ball in the tool box when not being used.

I was going to fab up a mount, but looked at a B&W on a pards truck and ordered one that night.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Toad, if your gooseneck is adjustable, B&W makes an extended ball for the turnover mount. Your latchbase will not kink your bed in rough country.......they make a hitch plug, too......

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'll have look into a plug. I keep the ball on the floor of the back seat. It'd be a major pain to find it stolen.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 90 old Mom decided she wasn't going to drive any more and said my oldest son could have her vehicle. It's a 2002 GMC Envoy 4x4 with 26,000 original miles. Since my Son lives in Northern Wisconsin, I wanted to help get it winter ready before he took it home. So today I installed a new battery which replaced the original AC Delco battery that came with the vehicle. This was the most difficult battery swap I've ever done. It included removing a plastic cover, a body brace, the battery cover and finally the battery, then the reverse to install the new battery. Next up I installed WeatherTech floor liners from front to rear, including installing the fasteners to hold the drivers side mat in place. Then it was new wiper blades front and rear. Finally, I put a trailer hitch on it - not because he tows a trailer but because when you're backing up should you bump something it's nice that it's the trailer hitch instead of the bumper.

When he returns for Thanksgiving I'll try and give it an oil change and new headlight bulbs and LED back up bulbs - weather permitting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
check the brakes. most old folk ride the hell outta them.......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by walt501
My 90 old Mom decided she wasn't going to drive any more and said my oldest son could have her vehicle. It's a 2002 GMC Envoy 4x4 with 26,000 original miles. Since my Son lives in Northern Wisconsin, I wanted to help get it winter ready before he took it home. So today I installed a new battery which replaced the original AC Delco battery that came with the vehicle. This was the most difficult battery swap I've ever done. It included removing a plastic cover, a body brace, the battery cover and finally the battery, then the reverse to install the new battery. Next up I installed WeatherTech floor liners from front to rear, including installing the fasteners to hold the drivers side mat in place. Then it was new wiper blades front and rear. Finally, I put a trailer hitch on it - not because he tows a trailer but because when you're backing up should you bump something it's nice that it's the trailer hitch instead of the bumper.

When he returns for Thanksgiving I'll try and give it an oil change and new headlight bulbs and LED back up bulbs - weather permitting.

You've never done a battery swap on a Porsche Cayenne, or an older ('88-'92) BMW 750iL have you? The BMW has it under the power rear seat, which has to have the "floating" seat rail removed before the seat can be taken out. The Cayenne battery is under the driver's seat, power seat of course. crazy

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by badger

You've never done a battery swap on a Porsche Cayenne, or an older ('88-'92) BMW 750iL have you? The BMW has it under the power rear seat, which has to have the "floating" seat rail removed before the seat can be taken out. The Cayenne battery is under the driver's seat, power seat of course. crazy

Can you jump start that battery?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by badger

Can you jump start that battery?

Yep. Remote connectors under the hood on both vehicles.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I bought a slide-in pop up camper from the neighbor a couple of weeks back. Mentioned to him that if he ever decided to sell it that I'd be interested and the rest is history. I had one years ago and really enjoyed it so I'm excited. It will be good for solo trips and maybe turkey hunting, and will work for when just one of the girls and I go camping. I still have the travel trailer for family stuff.

So I installed the camper tie-downs in the truck yesterday so I can go pick it up when things dry out.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
What I did with my hunting truck yesterday:

I put a 12 yr old behind the wheel out on our camp road.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

He didn't care for it, much.

grin

Something clever here.

Page 6 of 19 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
522 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 47 invisible), 2,536 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,401,021
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.