Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

"On Wednesday, Alaska Department of Fish and Game Commissioner Sam Cotten sent a letter asking the Federal Subsistence Board to reconsider the closure, saying the board was ignoring the very herd management plan it had endorsed in 2013."

"The federal board acted after getting a request for special action from the Northwest Arctic subsistence regional advisory council, a request made outside of the board's normal schedule. If the board acts on a special request, the decision is final, unlike with proposals handled within the normal cycle, federal managers said."

"It's closed. There's not an appeal process. We can't go back and reconsider," Towarak said. "Still, if the state puts in its own request for special action to allow a broad hunt, the matter could be considered anew, he said."

http://www.adn.com/alaska-news/rura...ds-to-allow-western-arctic-caribou-hunt/

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

BP-B2

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

I wonder if the state will submit it's own request for special action? Seems like the next logical step. confused

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since when to the feds control wildlife management outside of endangered species and national parks? Isn't it within the state's jurisdiction?

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Of course laying out a year or two never hurt a population that I'm aware of.

I pushed hard to lay out our deer season for 3 years here at home, it needed it really badly. The folks that hunt around were flat to greedy to do the herd that amount of good.

Thankfully we finally put a decent antler restriction in and that slowly built it back up. It could have been done in 3 years of no hunting, but no one would go that.

There are underlying issues with the caribou herd, from what I hear anyway.

And shutting the season will hurt the guides.

But it won't hurt the herd.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
Since when to the feds control wildlife management outside of endangered species and national parks? Isn't it within the state's jurisdiction?

Federal management of game in Alaska, exclusive of National Parks, endangered species, and Marine Mammals, is in violation of our Statehood Act, which "guaranteed" Alaska management of its wildlife resources.

Over-reach R us...

Our court of appeals is in California- if that tells you anything....

Last edited by las; 05/30/16.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
KC - It ain't gonna help the herd either. The herd-factors involved have almost nothing to do with human harvest. Weather, predators, range. that's it.

All this fiddle-faddle does is inconvenience a bunch of people, me included - and I damned well live there! (I'm including that 3.5 month pregnant-cows-only the state accepted on recommendation of the local caribou advisory board in this post. I'd rather shoot bulls in November when the migration comes thru. They are perfectly acceptable as table fare, tho not quite as good as the fatter cows, being post-rut. - I don't eat fat anyway.

But it ain't the Native way. There is much to be admired in that culture- and some things that are not-so-much/out-dated/ needs upgrade.

But no-one likes to change.... me included. (Insert Red Green man-pledge here).

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495

rost:

Not hunting the herd for a year might help the herd. But this is not a closure of all hunting on the herd. It just applies to non-subsistence hunters, who kill a few hundred bulls each year. It does not apply to subsistence hunters who kill 13,000 to 15,000 each year.

Besides biologists think that the factors that determine caribou herd size are very complicated including; predation, food sources weather, etc. They say that hunting (specially non-subsistence hunters) has little effect on the herd size.

Elimination of nonresident caribou hunting in unit 23 could put several bush pilots out of business. They make their profits off of fat cat nonresidents. But they provide a break-even but valuable service to isolated residents during the winter. If they leave, how will those people get supplies?

Also those visiting nonresidents funnel a lot of money into the economies of Kotzebue restaurants, hotels, B&Bs, stores, etc.

The real problem is that lots of nonresidents submitted deposits to bush pilots before the closure was announced. Even if they get their deposits back, it's too late to book with other pilots because they are full up by this time of year. Some of those nonresidents may lose their deposits.

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
las:

Right.

The locals have always resented outsiders hunting on what they consider to be a birthright. They have a point, since their ancestors have hunted the caribou for thousands of years, hundreds of generations.

Just the same, the caribou legally belong to all Americans. The high fees that nonresidents pay for hunting licenses and tags pay most of the cost of herd management. I'm OK with that. But I hate to pay for something and then not get it.

If they had announced the closure earlier, before we had to submit deposits to pilots, or announced that it would be closed for 2017-2018, then I would have had time to react to their decision. But the way they did it just screwed the nonresidents. I wonder how many natives are chuckling about shoving it to the nonresidents?

KC

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by KC

rost:

Not hunting the herd for a year might help the herd. But this is not a closure of all hunting on the herd. It just applies to non-subsistence hunters, who kill a few hundred bulls each year. It does not apply to subsistence hunters who kill 13,000 to 15,000 each year.

Besides biologists think that the factors that determine caribou herd size are very complicated including; predation, food sources weather, etc. They say that hunting (specially non-subsistence hunters) has little effect on the herd size.

Elimination of nonresident caribou hunting in unit 23 could put several bush pilots out of business. They make their profits off of fat cat nonresidents. But they provide a break-even but valuable service to isolated residents during the winter. If they leave, how will those people get supplies?

Also those visiting nonresidents funnel a lot of money into the economies of Kotzebue restaurants, hotels, B&Bs, stores, etc.

The real problem is that lots of nonresidents submitted deposits to bush pilots before the closure was announced. Even if they get their deposits back, it's too late to book with other pilots because they are full up by this time of year. Some of those nonresidents may lose their deposits.

Sounds like a lot of BS, but regardless, not hunting a year, even if its a few hundred bulls never hurts.

It hurts the economy and plans for sure.

But my parade has been rained on so many times in life I'm used to it. Just go on to the next plan and keep going.

I hate it that it messes it up, but then again maybe it takes somethign like this to wake up folks to protest hard enough to do away with some part of the special interests eventually.

Maybe something good can come of it? If enough speak up and loudly?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
.gov at work

careful about giving them an anvil, they'll break it.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
so where do we push all our comments about this and how many will take the time to do it?

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
so where do we push all our comments about this and how many will take the time to do it?

"On Wednesday, Alaska Department of Fish and Game Commissioner Sam Cotten sent a letter asking the Federal Subsistence Board to reconsider the closure, saying the board was ignoring the very herd management plan it had endorsed in 2013."

I sent a letter to Sam Cotten thanking him for his concern regarding this subject and requesting him to submit an official request for special action. Others might want to do the same.

Alaska Department of Fish and Game
333 Raspberry Road
Anchorage, AK 99518-1599

Alaska Department of Fish & Game
1255 W. 8th Street
Juneau, AK 99802

I wasn't sure which office to send it to, so I sent it to both offices.

KC

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Very good. I"ll get on a letter this week if I can't get it done and off today!

I hate it that it messes up plans, but more importantly what precedent has it set for future seasons.

Sometimes we can't help whats happened "overnight" but we sure need to look at the overall future.

Thanks for the addresses.

Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll do the same. Thanks for posting and good luck sorting all this out.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
839 members (12344mag, 1234, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 78 invisible), 3,263 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,712
Posts18,400,280
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.