Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
If so, how do the recoils compare? I've shot neither. My wife would like an LCP but I'm afraid that her hands would suffer.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With a novice shooter in mind, I'd say they're two totally different animals. The size, weight and handling characteristics are just too different to be comparable. One is a pocket gun and the other is not nearly as well suited.

I would guess the recoil forces are fairly similar but they're perceived differently in the smaller LCP ... it's described as being "snappy" by most inexperienced shooters.

If your wife is recoil sensitive, consider the LC380 ... I hear it's a real sweet shooter.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I have. The LC9 is much milder to shoot.

I also can't think of a single reason to buy one of these instead of a Glock 9mm for a defensive gun.

Last edited by Yondering; 05/31/16.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If so, how do the recoils compare? I've shot neither. My wife would like an LCP but I'm afraid that her hands would suffer.
After about a hundred rounds on the LC9, I tend to get a cut on my finger, but the recoil is no problem otherwise. I can't get through a few mag fulls with the LCP before my hand starts to shake involuntarily, and I can't shoot worth a darn at that point, and it takes about an hour before the shaking stops. Don't know why that is, but that's my experience.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 41magfan

If your wife is recoil sensitive, consider the LC380 ... I hear it's a real sweet shooter.
Don't know why they don't come out with the S-Pro version of that gun.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've shot them both consider them about the same in recoil with mild or wild ammo. IMO the primary advantages of the Rugers over a Glock is that the Rugers are lighter/flatter and you are less likely to shoot your pecker off with them.

Last edited by SargeMO; 05/31/16.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Don't know why they don't come out with the S-Pro version of that gun.

I think the striker-fired versions will be standard soon enough since they've already dropped the regular LC9 from the line-up.

NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks guys. The only way she can shoot both here is to buy them. There isn't a range here since we have a zillion acres of BLM land just out the door.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The LC9s has a much better trigger, something to consider.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have an LCP, my dad has an LC9. LC9 is much easier to shoot. Recoil feels lighter, but that can be subjective. I like my LCP only because it is easy to carry when I have to be very discreet. I cannot shoot it well past 10 yards or so, but I was surprised how well I shot the LC9 at 25-30 yards. The LC380 may be the best of both in terms of shootability and recoil.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I went through this with the wife. We settled on the LC380. Recoil on the LC9 caused her to flinch and she would never spend enough time at the range to get over it. I knew right away the LCP would never work for her.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Yondering
I also can't think of a single reason to buy one of these instead of a Glock 9mm for a defensive gun.

Traded away my last Glock, a model 19, 10yrs ago and don't miss it. Don't know why I would carry one instead of the LC9 I carry now. The Ruger is thinner, lighter and easier to conceal.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by CraigC

Traded away my last Glock, a model 19, 10yrs ago and don't miss it. Don't know why I would carry one instead of the LC9 I carry now. The Ruger is thinner, lighter and easier to conceal.

Maybe it's the LC9s version I shot, but it's definitely a little bigger and heavier than a G19, and very definitely lower quality as well. I don't see the appeal of going cheap for something like this.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Maybe it's the LC9s version I shot, but it's definitely a little bigger and heavier than a G19, and very definitely lower quality as well. I don't see the appeal of going cheap for something like this.

The LC9 is comparable in size to the Glock 42 .380 and is much smaller than a Glock 19.

[Linked Image]

NRA Endowment Member
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
True. The LC9(S) is much smaller than a Glock 19. I acquired a LC9S from a local LEO just because his wife was not comfortable with the grip. The grip is thin. I don't know what her objection was to it, but in my big hand it doesn't really matter. Forefinger contacts the trigger and pinkie catches the base.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

The LC9 is comparable in size to the Glock 42 .380 and is much smaller than a Glock 19.

[Linked Image]

My apologies, I had "SR9" stuck in my head - totally different gun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are both horrible. Spend some $ and get her a SIG P238.
Excellent trigger, 1911 controls and accurate.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 320Keith
They are both horrible. Spend some $ and get her a SIG P238.
Excellent trigger, 1911 controls and accurate.
The trigger on the LC9 is excellent, and no thumb safety to fumble with.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"excellent" it's not to anyone who has shot the SIG.

If you "fumble" with a thumb safety you are untrained and should not have a weapon.

Then there is the issue of racking the slide on a Ruger------

The SIG costs twice as much as the Ruger because ----- it's three times as good.

You enjoy you cast 77s, I'll stay with my machined FN Mauser.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 320Keith
If you "fumble" with a thumb safety you are untrained and should not have a weapon.
I'm a adherent of the KISS principle. When the SHTF, one typically experiences an IQ drop to about moron level, so you'd better Keep It Simple, Stupid. Thus the thumb safety statement.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

120 members (264mag, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 23 invisible), 1,194 guests, and 946 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,476
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.