Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I know vegetables grow in Alaska. But what do people do each year to have them to eat in the winter. I can only eat just so many meals of nothing but meat. I like sides to go with the meat.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We do have grocery stores.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know about Alaskan's, but we can them here in NC.

Some, like winter squash, we just store in the pantry...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I grow beets and t-mater's, carrots and taters.... can what's extra.…oh yea carrots to !

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Grains which have been converted to alcohol. Keeps well and won't freeze smile

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sauerkraut! Huge cabbage...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You can dry almost all the available veggies. They reconstitute with water when you're cooking. I don't recommend them for a salad though. Then there is always seaweed.

I've been so overwhelmed with fake news that I'm now nuts. Let's go Brandon
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
And the seaweed is better with herring eggs on it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
But what do people do each year to have them to eat in the winter.

Run to the store and buy mesican produce that has been gas ripened; or eat a cardboard box as it tastes the same.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Unalakleet_Yooper
And the seaweed is better with herring eggs on it.

How does this shake out with the aforementioned fermented grain?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Canned and frozen vegys are easy and for the fresh, cruncy taste it is no problem to keep sprouts of all sorts growing during the winter months.
And during the darkest winter monts caribou stomach contents are not all that bad -- if you don't mind the taste.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You can reconstitute caribou droping by putting them in boiling water, almost as good as fresh stomach contents.

I've been so overwhelmed with fake news that I'm now nuts. Let's go Brandon
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You can reconstitute caribou drooping by putting them in boiling water

I don't think thats legal in unit 23 because the caribou are on the endangered species list grin

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Catsup is a veggie ain't it?....put a little on your moose burger.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just curious the vegetables seem to be quite expensive. But then again I am used to home grown. Even Ketchup is costly.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If you leave the stomach contents in the actual stomach, it's something like an Alaskan pasty.

You'll be wanting some of that grain, too.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Just curious the vegetables seem to be quite expensive. But then again I am used to home grown. Even Ketchup is costly.

The high price of Ketchup keeps out the riffraff.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rusky
You can reconstitute caribou droping by putting them in boiling water, almost as good as fresh stomach contents.

You can eek I'll stick with the warm fresh stuff with a little of the bile drizzled over it .

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Why caribou? I thought Moose was better and there would be more of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Geezus have you ever seen what a moose eats?

No thanks caribou innards every time

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I lichen caribou stomachs better'n moose, too.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Art's been eating at Bean's Cafe again!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Beans give me gas!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I dunno about moose guts, but I did shoot a bou once, that was way way off, impossible shot according to some.... anyway it took us over an hour and a half to make it up to him... he was a tad bloated, even though it was under 32 at the time....or maybe just over, but cool.

I made one slip wiht the knife... and was covered in something, that to this day, I can still smell in those bibs, and that was circa 2003 IIRC and YES, they've been washed a number of times......

Not sure after that I can deal with eating innards of bou... or probably moose...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shot a caribou bull one that ran into a lake and died. He floated like a cork. I had always heard the hollow hair caused that. After gutting the carcass sank like a stone! the guts floated...

Pretty obvious the hollow hair is mostly out of the water where it does no good for floating.

But a caribou's stomach is huge... has to hold those lichens a long time to wring any goodie out of them.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
A friend shot one in shallow water once.... and I kept saying aim low he is closer than you think.. broke his back... walked up and shot him in the heart with my 44 mag. He sure didn't float but then he wasn't in the water all that long until we cut enough alder down to drag him onto the bank....

I suspect had he maybe either been deeper or possibly dead a bit longer he would have started to float.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
My dog finds frozen moose nuggets almost irresistible. Maybe she knows something we don't. crazy sick

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
"caribou stomach contents are not all that bad -- if you don't mind the taste."

Sounds like my cooking.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mart
My dog finds frozen moose nuggets almost irresistible. Maybe she knows something we don't. crazy sick

She most likely does --- but lets not go there

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rost495
I dunno about moose guts, but I did shoot a bou once, that was way way off, impossible shot according to some....

evah-damn-body got one o'them stories!

wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
But only a couple are true...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Sauerkraut! Huge cabbage...

Cabbage is moose bait, no?

smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Damn mooses like broccoli a hell of a lot better than most people do too. More than one year I'd give my broccoli and cabbage "just one more day to be perfect" only to find that a moose had already found them the next morning.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Mine wasn't so big a deal to me. 802. But I came well practiced and it was an easy shot. Twice.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495

Mine wasn't so big a deal to me. 802. But I came well practiced and it was an easy shot. Twice.

Has to be a few true ones so it may as well be yours!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
LOL< at least it was coached and witnessed by one of my old 4H competition small bore shooters thats become a resident of your fine state.

Recently he said he had a retired sniper in that finally( IE only other client he has had since that day) made a shot almost as far.

Today, I'm so far out of practice that 400 would be a stretch.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Redneck hay bale greenhouse unreal spring beans 12" tall. Raspberries blooming already Strawberries already more than a month early. Built fences to keep moose out.

[Linked Image]

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Don't they have dirt to grow things in?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Removed the trees ground is full of roots topsoil hard to come by in Eagle River.

Good solution as hay breaks down produces heat, ground temps prevent early planting.

Google hay bale garden first time for me and I kind of like it.

kk alaska

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Never seen one of those, looks cool.

Lucky our future holds an old horse corral in it, should provide some room without mice issues(plural for moose right... LOL)

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Grow what u can, can them pack the rest in your cellar and buy what you can afford

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Great summer here is the latest on hay bale garden.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by kk alaska; 07/12/16.

kk alaska

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s gathering time again!

[Linked Image]

Salmonberries are on... a bit early this summer. (With enough vitamin C to make an orange blush we are told.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
It’s gathering time again!

[Linked Image]

Salmonberries are on... a bit early this summer. (With enough vitamin C to make an orange blush we are told.)

Single berry on the end of the main stem? Not a bush with multiple berries? That is what it looks like from the photo and it is the more common northerly berry. If so, that is a cloudberry.

They are better than most salmonberries.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
‘Cloudberry’ sounds so...............DSMF? grin I realize that is another name for them, kind of like Washington tells us that ‘Eskimo’ is not a PC term that should be used anymore, but nobody ever uses that name and most folks who pick them by the gallon don’t even know the term ‘cloudberry’. (And why should they not be salmonberries? There is no other berry that so much resembles a cluster of salmon eggs that I am aware of.)

Next, I suppose you’re going to tell me our ‘blackberries’ are ‘crowberries’ or some such? grin (BTW, what are crows anyway? Can a raven be killed legally if we call them crows? crazy )

wink

Took one elderly lady along last night to a little, well-known berry island 13 miles offshore last night, along with family and other friends. It was the first time for her in her 7 decades of life. Got back just before 2:00 AM; (no wonder it was looking like it wanted to get dark when we got back. smile ) I doubt our family will make a 10 gallon goal, but we’ve got over 5 now.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cloudberries and salmonberries are not the same. They taste different and come from different bushes entirely. I was corrected by an elderly lady way back in the '70s. I am not sure which village she was from... but well north.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Two different berries, same family, same colloquial name. Call them cloudberries in any rural area I am familiar with and you’ll get that “you must be a DSMF” look - or they’ll simply have no idea what you’re talking about. Cloudberry is not a name often used in Alaska and is probably best known to urban dwellers, if even them. You can call them whatever you like, but they’re known as salmonberries all over the western tundra.

Now, let’s talk about blackberry akutaq. grin (Yeah, I thought I was smart one time in pointing out that tundra blackberries - crowberries to some- are not even related to the rosacea family version. eek )

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yup, many do not know rasp/black/salmon-berries are roses...

and many do not know the facts about deer eating roses...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You two are a huge sources of useless knowledge. LOL. ( I hope you see the smiley intent there...)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m fine with useless, just don’t call me Ulysses ...... eek grin

I must make one more comment about our berries; our’s, in fact, are superior if you believe heterosexual foods are ‘more better’. Those other kind, the bush variety, they’re kind of into bisexual stuff. eek

[Linked Image]

As for other ‘vegetables’ out in the boonies, ask some of the older people about plants and you’ll likely get a whole encyclopedia of info about which plants, when, and how to procure and process them. Readily available potatoes, carrots, apples, onions, and a few other things in many local stores - if you’re willing to pay the prices- has made gathering a ‘lesser’ activity for many of the younger generations.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thats cool. Just shredded on by gallons and gallons of grapes today again. Makes me wonder if life would ever slow enough to be able to use whats out there.

In the meantime the deer love the grapes anyway.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Do what every pothead does. An indoor grow room. Hydroponic or raised beds, heated concrete floor, skylights or LED grow lights on a timer to conserve electricity and some fertilizer. Basically a modified green house for Alaska.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 69 invisible), 2,935 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,132
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.