24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Wouldn't it be nice if May want slower, was about 90 days instead of 31, and it took about 80 of those days for vegetation to green-up?

Today is Pennsylvania's last day. I saw a cuppla hens out in the field around 8:00 this morning, at about 300 yards. Neither showed interest in my calls. And no gobbler showed interest in either the hens or my calls. Also, I've had a trail camera set up for almost a week, with nothing on it but a woodchuck and a hen with four poults. Earlier in the season gobblers were roosted here, but now it seems like the gobblers are holed up in the thick stuff where, if they gobble, the sound gets pulled back in like it has the gravitational pull of a black hole. Seems like gobblers want nothing to do with hens now.

This spot will be terrific next year, as it has been for the last six years I've been hunting it. It was good this year, too. I got a gobbler on May 10, even though I've heard gobbling from the roost only twice. Weird year, yes.

All in all a good season. I hunted 21 or 22 days, and it was never hard to get up in the morning. I shot a mid-morning gobbler, which was gratifying. (I get more of them off the roost.)

I sold one of my Northern Scratchbox calls to a guy on Sunday, and on Monday he called in a big late-season gobbler with it. (Unfortunately, too bad he missed the bird, but that's not my problem.)

Are there any states with turkey season still open after May 31?

Tomorrow, to the doctor for him to tell me what my brain scan said last week. (Seeing double in my right eye.)

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pray that all goes good for your checkup man.

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What did Doc say?

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by taz4570
What did Doc say?

Brain scan showed nothing. That followed some pictures of my retinas, and was followed by some other tests. Today I go in and I think he's going to measure me for cataract surgery.

Thanks for your interest. Apparently I have cataracts with "spokes" that are causing the light to diffuse and hit my retina in multiple places causing multiple images. Don't know when the surgery will be, but probably in a week or two.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steve, I know you've already thanked the Good Lord for your brain scan being negative - glad to know you can be cured with cataract surgery. My best to you.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Odessa
Steve, I know you've already thanked the Good Lord for your brain scan being negative - glad to know you can be cured with cataract surgery. My best to you.

Thanks.

Cataract surgery scheduled for tomorrow. Second one in six weeks. Looking forward to it. I hope to no longer need correction for distance vision. If all goes as expected I should see more clearly than I have in 50 years. Can't wait to hold binoculars in front of my eyes without adjusting the eyecups for glasses.

Steve.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
First cataract surgery done Friday. A little soreness and redness, maybe a reaction to the antibiotic. Doc saw me today and said everything looks as it should look. Vision much improved, and he said it should end up 20/20 when the inflammation settles down. So far, so good. August 1 I see him again, and will probably schedule the left eye then.

Steve.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
637 members (007FJ, 257Bob, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,788 guests, and 1,417 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,237
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.