Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I may be cheap, but I am not easy.
I prefer Krugerrands. They are from the south you know.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is waterjet cutting expensive?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Depends on the location of the water...

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Water jet cutting is about 2x-3x laser cutting cost. But it does not leave you with the melted edge that laser cutting does and I like that. You have too make sure you grind your laser cut edge back far enough so the heat treat process is not negatively affected.

Water jet is a high pressure erosion process. In time and consumables per blade plus wasted material, I can not cut out blades by hand and grind in profiles any cheaper than having them water jet cut. I usually have about 5 or 6 square feet of sheet for water jet cut.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
where can one get this "waterjet" cutting service?

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Just have to start searching. S/B something in the business ads in phone book, internet, local manufacturing shops, etc.
Then you have to find one that will dink around with your small order and still affordable.

I give them cut out blade patterns to go by. They copy them and make a cutting pattern for the water jet. I give them estimate of the quantity of each blade I am hoping for, plus how much strip to leave for me to cut out onsie twosies. Then I pay them without bitching about the price. The sheet I get back is "optimized" as far as how many blades I end up with.

Albert Einstein

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, I am in the grinding mode. I will end up with something just shy of 100 blades out of the sheet and the 3"x36" strip and the salvage out of the water jet skeleton.
Will plan on two grinds, the second probably next year.

Still have a few things members here need to clear up with me on stuff they wanted.
I will post a pic of the patterns somewhere down the road when I get some of each flat ground, bevel ground and holes drilled.

Tim

Albert Einstein

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Off to heat treat.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Albert Einstein

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Beautiful job Tim. Can't wait to see what you will do with them.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I like the lines on several of those smaller blades. Classic and useful. Looks like you're gonna be busy for awhile now!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Nice patterns!

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by MOGC
I like the lines on several of those smaller blades. Classic and useful.

Same here, I'm having trouble deciding which one I like the best. 1st picture, far right, 2nd from the bottom right now.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Are those ours on the top in the second photo? They look good Sir

Shawn

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Shawn
Yes, bottom first, top second. I had to make one for me too.

All
Thanks for the comments, and I let me know of any interests.

Tim

Albert Einstein

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by robertacabin
Beautiful job Tim. Can't wait to see what you will do with them.

ya'

[Linked Image]

here's what he did with some 52100 and 154CM.

Good stuff T.O.

JAPPFT,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have been traveling so much, that I forgot about the thickness of the Japanese style kitchen knife. It's 1/8 inch, and made with 154CM steel.

Sam......

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 85 invisible), 2,766 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,637
Posts18,398,939
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.