Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Guys, I just turned 65 and am seeing living on retirement money is not easy. I've hunted all of my life but now find myself in a place where I cannot afford it. If there's anyone that would consider letting me hunt on their place for a modest fee I would appreciate it. Not much of a killer anymore but would love to sit by a fire again and be out in the woods. Please pm me if you have something. Thanks, powdr

Last edited by powdr; 06/01/16.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Man, I hate to be a fly in the ointment but priorities seem askew and straight out of Walla Walla WA.

From the past month:

Originally Posted by powdr
Have always wanted an 8mm-06 but I'm hoping the 6.5X55 I'm building will scratch the itch. powdr

I've got a REM722 short action that's been opened up to .295 and have been thinking about a SAUM in 338. Already have the 6.5 and 7mm covered and have never been a fan of .270. powdr

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
zing.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane
Man, I hate to be a fly in the ointment but priorities seem askew and straight out of Walla Walla WA.

From the past month:

Have always wanted an 8mm-06 but I'm hoping the 6.5X55 I'm building will scratch the itch. powdr

I've got a REM722 short action that's been opened up to .295 and have been thinking about a SAUM in 338. Already have the 6.5 and 7mm covered and have never been a fan of .270. powdr
Agreed on the priorities assessment...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Powder, look into Forest land in E Texas. I've not been able to get clear shots at some decent bucks, but have killed a few deer there in the few yeras we hunted that between leases.

Easy to get to. Good areas to camp, if burn ban isn't on had a fire every night.

And can generally easily get to places on foot that you'll never see another person all day long...

Of course the other posters think that spending 1000 bucks equals a deer lease... unfortunately most that I talk to today are spending north of 1500 to 2500 for leases in the hill country. We are "lucky" that we are under that figure... although we have to pay for 2 spots so my wife can go along and take pictures.... even though she no longer cares to hunt...

1000 bucks would rebarrel each of those easily.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by SKane

From the past month:

Precisely my thoughts when I read the post last night. Sell some chitt...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495

Of course the other posters think that spending 1000 bucks equals a deer lease...

Yawn.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Like Powdr, I am retired and, like him, I indulge myself in my one real hobby--firearms. I am pretty much to the point that any significant new acquisition requires that something currently in the gun safe gets sold. However, I live in a state where I can get a deer license each year, and often an elk license, to hunt public land for less than the cost of a trip to Albuquerque to attend the state fair. I can also hunt turkeys spring and fall for the cost of a tank or two of gas to get up to the Gila National Forest a hundred miles or so to the north. Quail hunting starts within a few miles of the house in any direction.

The only way that I can hunt with my grandkids in Texas is at the invitation of someone who can afford a deer lease or who owns a ranch. Friends have invited me to join in Texas deer leases a few times over the years. However, I got priced out of that market about twelve years ago when I gave up a salaried job for consulting, which gave me the flexibility to take advantage of the opportunities available here where I live.

If I lived in central Texas, I would be pretty much in the same shape as Powdr when it comes to deer hunting. He and I have exchanged a few PMs and I know that he does most of the work on his firearms himself. I guarantee you that the amount he spends on his hobby annually wouldn't begin to cover the cost of participating in a Texas deer lease, and it probably wouldn't even cover the cost of a few day hunts on a decently managed day hunting property.

I see that you guys live in the upper midwest. If you haven't payed to hunt in Texas, you have no idea of what the market is like. Don't judge a man until you have walked a few miles in his shoes.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
When I retired I hunted deer for another year. When I dropped out of my lease in Arkansas the fee had risen to $650. ALL the other members (16) were from Texas.

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yeah, leave it to guys like Skane who can hunt for the cost of a tag to get his peter all bent out of shape. He's still mad cause I didn't say thank you for a worn out sling he sent me one time. God I wish I had his address so I could send the sum bitch back to him.

Or ole Big Ed, while switching between his summer cottage and his other seasonal home...poor bastard, wants to give financial advice to someone on a different scale. I feel for ya Ed. powdr

Last edited by powdr; 06/02/16.
IC B3

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm just trying to find a place I can go a few times a year and maybe forge some new relationships and sit around the fire and lie. Shooting a deer would be a bonus. I want to thank the guys that understand my dilemma and ask that if you haven't walked a mile in my shoes please refrain from commenting on something you know nothing about. Of course there's always one or two AH. Thanks,powdr

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Western Ky and Tn have public hunting some pretty good. Lodging is cheap motel6 etc or camping sites plentiful. Just the drive of 700-1000 miles.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yeah, leave it to guys like Skane who can hunt for the cost of a tag to get his peter all bent out of shape. He's still mad cause I didn't say thank you for a worn out sling he sent me one time. God I wish I had his address so I could send the sum bitch back to him.

Or ole Big Ed, while switching between his summer cottage and his other seasonal home...poor bastard, wants to give financial advice to someone on a different scale. I feel for ya Ed. powdr

Hey, don't feel bad. I used to never have anyone on ignore, but the azzholes have become more and larger and as such I sure don't miss reading a bunch of rabble anymore.

Good luck! As noted I really enjoyed the E Texas thing. We even at one point had antlerless tags to enjoy. Although you did have to camp, there was no ability of "housing". Met some really great folks out there too. And the usual number of azzholes.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Skane is about as good of a guy on this forum as anyone. If I would have sent you something for free, regardless of condition, and gotten no acknowledgement or at least a thank you, I would have been miffed too...

I think all anyone is saying is that life is about priorities. If you want to go hunting but cannot afford to, I'd sell some stuff to do it.

Everybody has choices when it comes to everything. Good luck on your search.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Greg that is your opinion and your entitled to it but it's not everyone's. He's a smart ass. Of course you're another one of those guys that can just buy a tag and go hunting. The amount you guys spend for a tag wouldn't buy the gas a Texas guy spends going back and forth to their lease in the off season. powdr

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Lot's of draw hunts in Tx.

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yes GW, I apply for them every year. powdr

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Greg that is your opinion and your entitled to it but it's not everyone's. He's a smart ass. Of course you're another one of those guys that can just buy a tag and go hunting. The amount you guys spend for a tag wouldn't buy the gas a Texas guy spends going back and forth to their lease in the off season. powdr

Powder, did you know I lived the first 29 years of my life in Texas?

I picked myself up and my wife and we left our friends and family behind to move out west where we didn't know a soul.

I wanted then what you are giving guys out west a hard time about. And guess what, I did it. And guess what? I pretty much live in the woods for 4 months while starting two businesses to enable me to do this.

Don't lecture me sir about tag availability and life choices.

Once again, life is about priorities. I made mine...

- Greg

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If I worried about every time I never got thanked, I'd have a full gut of ulcers....

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
What part of the state are you in powder? I know a lot of folks..

- Greg

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1OntarioJim, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,579 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,314
Posts18,468,326
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.