Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Do many of you practice this or other shooting positions regularily?I shoot long rifles quite a bit at home and on our local range and don't see many hunters practicing hunting positions.I finish off a session at the range shooting offhand and sitting or prone.I don't see many others do this ...so I gotta ask.Do you?

BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yes.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I can't remember the last time I went to a range to shoot. As far as shooting off hand goes, the best practice is walking and shooting gophers with someone of equal skill or better. If you want to see improvement and make yourself a good shot under any circumstances, shoot off hand...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I spend most of my range time shooting the 2 and 300 yard gongs off hand. Once I get the rifle zeroed I'm either shooting from seated on the ground or standing off hand. I was at my best when I was shooting groundhogs two days a week back in Maryland.

Edit for side note: I was banging away at the 200yd gong with my scoped 223 and there was an ancient gentleman down at the end of the range matching me shot for shot with an '03A3 with iron sights. It was humbling.

Last edited by Snake River Marksman; 06/03/16.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Groundhog hunting here in WV kept me in tune. Squirrel hunting with a 22 offhand tightens things up as well.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nothing like squirrel hunting with a rimfire and head shots only to keep you in shooting form

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Benches are only for confirming zero's and wind drifts.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wish more of my hunters would practise it. A 9" paper plate at 50 yards would be safe from most of them if they shot offhand. Most of them are content to only shoot from the bench and think that if they can make a "long range" hit once in a while that they are good to go.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I do some offhand shooting even when going to the range to bench-test stuff, but the biggie here in Montana, as Shrapnel pointed out, is shooting burrowing rodents offhand. (He likes to bet a Coca-Cola on those shots, but since he works for a Coke distributor he gets them at a "discount," so there's no much pressure on him either way.)

But I also simply must mention that I once shot a big game animal from a benchrest, a mule deer doe that wandered too near the old farmhouse where some of us were staying one year. There was a bench in the yard.

Almost once shot an Alaskan moose from a benchrest once too. Actually, it was an all-purpose piece of plywood, nailed to a tree along the banks of a small river in a hunting camp, used not only for testing whether rifles were still sighted-in after the flight from Dillingham, but filleting salmon and other stuff. The bull moved at the last moment, and I had to move down to the river bank to take the shot.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman

Edit for side note: I was banging away at the 200yd gong with my scoped 223

and there was an ancient gentleman down at the end of the range

matching me shot for shot with an '03A3 with iron sights.

"Ingwe" ? ?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 458Win
I wish more of my hunters would practise it. A 9" paper plate at 50 yards would be safe from most of them if they shot offhand. Most of them are content to only shoot from the bench and think that if they can make a "long range" hit once in a while that they are good to go.

Gotta be kidding. That's pretty bad. sick

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most of them are busy men - and a few women - who have either taken up hunting later in life, or placed it on hold while they were working, and when they get a chance to shoot it is from a bench sighting in for a big hunt .

If they are serious about hunting and shooting I simply recommend they place a paper plate at 50 yard - or 25 - and when they can consistantly hit it 3 times in a row off-hand to move it back until they can reliably do it at 100.
I deal with a lot of highly successful people and once they actually try off-hand shooting and see how it relates to real hunting scenarios they improve rapidly.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I honestly don't remember the last time I shot from a bench. I'd guess 90% of my shooting is offhand, the other 10% sitting or standing with a modified rest (tree etc).

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've fired this rifle a grand total of 4 times.

The first 3 shots were hedge apples at 50 yards offhand, all hits.

The 4th was this deer. I have many such rifles that I've killed with and have never once shot 'paper' or 'groups' with them.

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Shoot like i hunt.
All of my rifles have slings not carrying straps.

And add more practice.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Another hedge apple shooter. Deer haven't been around the times I've carried it, but that will eventually change.

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Scott, what vintage and chambering is that 1895?

He went over yonder way
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
28" of 30US (30/40 Krag), born in 1904. Someone put a recoil pad on it a long time ago, but that's ok.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to think I was a pretty decent shot. Then I took up competitive silhouette shooting.

People who have never tried it talk down about funny stances and high-powered scopes and such. What they are really saying is that it's different than what I do so of course it's wrong. But it's amazing what 10 000 rounds or so a year of offhand shooting does for a persons trigger squeeze and follow through. wink

It is sad how often a hot-shot shooter shows up, ready to show off their abilities. Then, out of 40 shots, then don't hit double digits. Most we never see again, because silhouette shooting is hard. Talking about shooting, and shooting off rests, is easy. It is a shame, because like any past time, practice makes us better. Most don't practice.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'm with Shrap and rosy on this one. Benches are for testing loads and confirming zeroes.
Offhand practice is the best, get used to it and once you are actually in the field hunting, use any rest you can....it seems luxuriously easy ...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
134 members (300_savage, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,814 guests, and 811 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.