Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry
Balanced weight distribution, neither front nor back. Shoulder width stance. Focused controlled breathing and timing.

For the wood, on game when it happens quickly: Controlled breathing, square shoulders, shoulder width stance and balance is what you are given. Few xxxx's, fat reticle-big dot is nice-plant the reticle, hit the trigger wins the race. Screwing around making everything perfect is most often not an option.

Last edited by battue; 06/09/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
BP-B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry
All of this interesting conversation makes me want to get to the range that much sooner and practice:-)) I think about 40 rounds @ 100yds with some clay pigeons will get me warmed up for 220 yards.

Use milk jugs at all ranges.

Unless you're shooting gophers or similar. Obviously.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by battue
Screwing around making everything perfect is most often not an option.

Often makes things worse - or the opportunity is gone.

For a quick shot, look at the point on the animal you're going to hit, keep your focus on it, muzzle on it, mount to the shoulder and the sights superimpose themselves on it and bang. Takes more time to say than to do.

Of course, a rifle which fits you, sights set up properly too, and a decent trigger, all help, as does practice, including dry as well as live.

If you had time to faff around getting things "just so", you probably had time to get into a better position, whether by moving to a better spot, moving to something you could rest against, or getting into a more solid position - or a combination of these.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
After taking up silohuette shooting, I have shot more offhand in the past six months than in the previous six years. I have always shot a fair amount prone and when I shoot from the bench, I mostly do so off my elbows. I can still get into a decent sitting position on most days but cannot get into anything like a decent kneeling position.
I have come to realize that I am not getting more steady with age but occasionally produce a satisfactory result anyway. GD

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by southwind

What is the secret to better off-hand shooting?

Practice calling your shot.

Essential.

You must know where the reticle was when the trigger broke, even if it happens fast.You should be able to see that image in your mind for a long time after.

You cannot hit what you don't aim at.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
When it comes to shooting game quickly, a short adrenalin burst is your friend. It gives you strength to be steady from what may not be an ideal position and concentrates your focus on where the sights are.

Aim small may work for paper, clay targets, setting up exactly at the range, getting your breathing perfect, squeezing just so, etc. But when it has to be done right now on BG milk jugs is the better analogy. Stick the bullet into the shoulder area, the heart lung area or the area for it to angle correctly and let it do the work it was designed to do.

It's a different game than shooting targets, LR hunting or when you have time to set up.

Last edited by battue; 06/09/16.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Shooting involves muscle memory.So proper mechanics will aid your shooting in the long run burning these practices into the muscle memory imo....really much the same as throwing a baseball or roping a steer consistently. ..Yup and call your shots...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Funny we mention muscle memory.

Its rare these days, in fact I can't actually recall, breaking the trigger or the shot.

It goes alright, and mostly when it needs to, but I just don't ever recall actually "pulling" the trigger.

There is a reason for that too, and its not a bad reason, but it cost lots of money/time/effort of practice...

One of the best reads I did while in competition, was by the guy that set the free throw record in BB. It was about that too, had nothing to do with shooting. but mentally and practice wise it did.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I can't remember the last time I went to a range to shoot. As far as shooting off hand goes, the best practice is walking and shooting gophers with someone of equal skill or better. If you want to see improvement and make yourself a good shot under any circumstances, shoot off hand...

Years ago I'd never even heard about "practice". We just called it out shooting.I'd grown up shooting gophers and grouse from about 3 years of age. When I was into my teens I worked many summers on the weekend doing what we called babysitting for a logger. He'd work weekends by himself and needed someone else there for safety purposes in case he were to get hurt. My pay was a 22 rifle and a box of 500 22 LR each day I worked. Most summers I'd go through 10,000 rounds or more. When the big game hunting years came putting a bullet where it needed to go seemed like a natural thing.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have likened MS shooting to shooting free throws and I find it to be very similar. Sadly, my performance is much the same in both situations. I can string together a half-dozen nice shots then follow up with a similar number of misses. In both cases, I know when a shot is good before it hits. When the trigger breaks at just the right time or the ball leaves on just the right trajectory, there is no question as to the result. I also find that making the shot is physical while missing the shot is more likely to be mental. When things are working well, alignment occurs and the trigger breaks right on time. Other times, alignment occurs and I wonder why I can't pull the trigger.
Like many of the members here, a great deal of my early off-hand training came in the form of "plinking" or hunting small game with a .22 and, later on, with a muzzle-loader. In my early twenties, I could manage pretty consistent hits on a 1.5 inch target at 50 yards with 45 caliber round balls and a gopher didn't stand a chance. Today, I can't see the sights!
Many of the members here can probably recall the training we received in "instinctive shooting" when we were in basic training. We shot a ton of BB's at ping pong balls with BB guns without sights; just point and shoot. I, like many of my fellows, soon got so I would rarely miss and was even pretty consistent on a thrown ping pong ball. Of course, we were nineteen and twenty year olds with good eyes and reflexes; quite unlike the pitiful specimen I am today! I still shoot the BB gun quite a lot but the hits are not nearly so consistent. GD

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pick a spot on the wall, snap the rifle up again and again until the sights are aligned and on the spot when the gun comes up.
Look at the spot, close your eyes, bring the gun up, open your eyes. On target? Do it all enough and just looking at something will seal its fate.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Greydog,

Kids and the young are not afraid to miss nor have it ruin their self image. Failure is shrugged off and they just keep on going with learning and doing better. Lot to be learned from kids.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 5thShock
Pick a spot on the wall, snap the rifle up again and again until the sights are aligned and on the spot when the gun comes up.
Look at the spot, close your eyes, bring the gun up, open your eyes. On target? Do it all enough and just looking at something will seal its fate.

Grab a rifle and dry fire quickly on yard Deer, rabbits, spot on a tree trunk, leaf, center of a car wheel, etc. Come real time you should be fine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Local range won't allow any sort of shooting except from the bench. So, I go to a friend's place when I can and shoot there. Unfortunately, I don't get out there as often as I'd like to!

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Screwing around making everything perfect is most often not an option.

Most of my scopes are 4-12X40 AO. Depending upon exactly where I'm hunting the scope is set on 6X OR 8X.....

The --ONLY-- adjusting (screwing around) I - might - do is to turn the power ring up or down W/O looking at it.

Even then there are occasions when there is NO time for that.

I've been hunting these scopes so long it's second nature for me. My longest shots AND opportunities are 400 yds... so I NEVER mess with the AO.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by comerade
Do you?

Now and then at 50 yards.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Or when I zero the hog slayer:

[Linked Image]

I have a good coach for chitz'n giggles:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 5thShock

Grab a rifle and dry fire quickly on yard Deer, rabbits, spot on a tree trunk, leaf, center of a car wheel, etc. Come real time you should be fine.

Gangster style. Should we pick out any particular car passing by if we start dry firing on car wheels? I'll bet the mexicano's around here would [bleep] them selves... laugh. I like your idea though..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I prefer to aim at my neighbors when they're out in the yard.

My wife says that's why we don't get any trick-or-treaters at Halloween.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Dry firing does replicate the actual thing really well imo.It costs nothing, has little effect on the rifle and will help any type of shooting.Also..I have never really understood how a longer, more balanced rifle helps much in awkward shooting positions. I do better with a carbine sized rifle everytime, a longer, heavier rifle is harder for me to stabilize and hold for a longer period of time.The effect of gravity is more of an issue as the weight is further from my body...Just me and I suppose shotgunners would say differently.Just putting it out there, folks.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by smokepole

I prefer to aim at my neighbors when they're out in the yard.

My wife says that's why we don't get any trick-or-treaters at Halloween.

Laffin my azz off... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
92 members (10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 16penny, 15 invisible), 1,666 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,756
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.