Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Are the Savage 220 slug guns still available? Anyone here ever used one? We have put in for tags in Iowa this year for deer season and it is slug/muzzleloader or handgun only. Years ago I took a few deer with a smooth bore shotgun shooting the old Foster style slugs but accuracy was certainly questionable beyond more than 50 yards or so.

BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Still available and very accurate with Remington Accutips.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks. I will have to do some searching

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by basdjs
Still available and very accurate with Remington Accutips.

Absolutely the most accurate slug ammo in the Savage 220 and not always easy to find.

Doc

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hear good things

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Duckster-- I have hunted slug/muzzleloader areas for each of the last 10 seasons and have had a great chance to see different platforms and rounds at work.

The Savage 220 is an absolutely tack driver and a great choice for a slug gun with a quality 3x9 slug scope you are in for a treat.

I would test out several brands of sabot slugs to see what yours likes the best. I know it is an expensive proposition but I have seen wide variances and each gun is different. It is much more apparent than in most rifles I've seen.

Best Performance-- Hands down is the Winchester Partition Gold, 2 3/4" 20 ga. It is an absolute hammer, great penetration and in three different platforms it was the most or second most accurate which is the kind of consistency I'll spend money on. Velocities through the chrono were close to 'as advertised'.

The accu-tips were incredibly accurate out of my H&R BUT my 870 hates them. As a result I did not harvest any game with them.

Hornady SST-- Hands down the most accurate-- BUT I had the worst terminal performance. Harvesting 4 animals, all one shot kills-- 2 were not pass throughs on broadside shots under 100yds and they left no blood trail. To me this is not ideal.

Rem Copper Solid-- This is the best slug out of my 870-- the all copper penetrates like a champ and great accuracy-- however- the velocities were well below advertised and based off the verified trajectories I limit those shots to 100yds and in.

Hope this helps and good luck!!

MWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Recently sold mine due to retirement/pending move to western USA. Bought it about seven years ago and shot several deer with it as I was involved in deer culling. Since it's a 110 action it acts/handles like a rifle. I used the (then) recommended Federal ammunition.

Mounted a 3-9 Leupold on it and got a 1.5" 3-shot groups at 100 yards on my first range outing with it. After that it was check POI prior to the season and go whack deer with it. Under proper circumstances I felt it capable out to 150 yards (key word "proper" as I'm very cautious about shooting any big game at distance).

Most of the deer I shot were around 60 yards and the sabot projectile passed completely through.

Only thing you have to be mindful of is ejection; run the bolt crisply! All the way up on the bolt and all the way back like you mean it. You are expelling a length of plastic and there is not a lot of room for error.

I can't think of a better overall shotgun slug platform than the 220. Perhaps the Browning A-Bolt 12 gauge but I don't have any experience with those. The 220 is accurate, handles/feels like a rifle, and packs plenty of wallop for deer.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Great information fellas. Thanks for all the tips. I should hear of Iowa draw results in early July

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Buddy has one and loves it. Only caution or something to think about is ....the first scope he wanted me to mount on it for him was too short, ie.. not enough distance between the two bells on either end. He had to bring me another to put on with a longer tube. Its a fair distance between rings, just keep that in mind, but a great shooter it is.
FWIW I prefer a 20ga slug gun over a 12ga.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I have shot deer with both smoothbore 20 and smoothbore 12 ga in the past and could not see a bit of difference besides the 12 ga kicking more!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I just ordered one of these, and was wondering if it takes the same mounts as a Savage 10 or 110. Looking at Talleys.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Kimberman
I just ordered one of these, and was wondering if it takes the same mounts as a Savage 10 or 110. Looking at Talleys.
I went with the DNZ one solid mount for my 220 savage.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
So, I picked up a Savage 220. I have been trying some different brands of slugs. So far, no real consistency. Trying to now figure out if I need to try a new scope. The scope I put on the slug gun is a older Bushnell Trophy that came off another rifle. Here are the best groups at 75 yards.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Other groups were worse. I tried the Remington Accutip first and it was not really any better. Maybe I am excepting too much?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It could be the scope but I would be sure your bases and mounts are tight and the stock isn't touching the barrel at some point. You are correct to expect much tighter groups!

MWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Duckster, something isn't right as the 220 is capable of much (much!) better accuracy than that. Start the process of eliminating problems.

FYI, I used the EGW base/rings as when I bought mine that was what Savage recommended.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I shot mine very little sitting in the safe now. Area went to rifle hunting. Anyways my limited shooting was off a crappy rest on the hood of my truck. Every ammo I tried shot half those size groups at 100 yards if not better. I would take a serious look at all your screws. Make sure the action is seated in the stock and the screws are tight. Then make sure your base is screwed down tight. I also went with the EGW. You will hear varying opinions but I loctite all the screws for the mounts and rings.

Your scope is also suspect to me. The bushnell trophy aint the highest quality and the 220 is up there on the recoil scale.

Brings me to another point with no offense intended how are you at handling recoil. I find the recoil of the 220 to be manageable for me but it gets my attention more than anything else I shoot. Currently running a Ruger 77 in 350 mag and it feels like less recoil to me than the 220.

Seems perceived recoil really varies among shooters of the 220. If your sensitive to the recoil that could play into your group size.Now my Savage 212 sluggun was a whole different beast. I am so glad Savage replaced it with the 220 when they could not get the damn thing to feed reliable.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
there's a YouTube video of three guys on three nights taking 3 deer at 300 yards with one. deer just dropped.

i would buy one if i get into slug hunting

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by duckster
So, I picked up a Savage 220. I have been trying some different brands of slugs. So far, no real consistency. Trying to now figure out if I need to try a new scope. The scope I put on the slug gun is a older Bushnell Trophy that came off another rifle. Here are the best groups at 75 yards.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Other groups were worse. I tried the Remington Accutip first and it was not really any better. Maybe I am excepting too much?
Are you using 3 inch sabot slugs?That is all I use in my 220,Federal barnes tipped vital shocks,and remington accu tips.I shoot 1-2 inch patterns at 100 yards.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I got one about 2 weeks ago. Put a new Nikon 3x9 slug hunter. Shot 2 3/4 Remington accutips. After just a few sight in shots got a 1.25" group at 100 yds. Thats 5 shots, not 3. I'm sold on the combination.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
605 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 160user, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,737
Posts18,401,102
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.