Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
It rattled out of the box, but you decided to go ahead and mount it anyway? What did you expect, it was going to magic itself OK?

GB1

T
tculin Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Well the 27th came and went so I called Sightron this morning about 11:30 Pacific to see what the status of my scope was. Whoever answered the phone said my scope had been shipped to me on 5/20 and was unable to locate a tracking number and suggested that I should call back to talk to the women who handled the shipping.

I was finally able to get through to the shipper and was told no my scope had not shipped on the 20th, but was shipping today 2nd day express and gave me a tracking number.

I asked if they included a note in the box as to the nature of the repairs and she said she wasn't sure, but that they had decided to REPLACE my scope.

I asked if the company had had my scope since the 6th of May, why did it take so long for them to decide to replace it? She wasn't able to answer that question so I asked for the service manager who wasn't taking calls to call me back.

According to KK they had intended to repair the scope and had ordered parts from the factory and were unable to repair the scope with the parts sent from the factory.

Of course when I checked the UPS tracking number she gave me it wasn't in the system yet. Which can be normal when the shipping order is transmitted to UPS. However, I get the strange feeling they hadn't done anything with my scope and my calls and e-mails jogged someone's oh [bleep] I forgot memory cell.

If and when I do get the scope back I do plan on adding a range report if I don't just sell it and get the bad taste out of my mouth.

PS The financial auditor and systems analyst in me is sort of curious, why did one employee think they had shipped it and another say it hadn't gone out until today (it is 3:30pm in North Carolina).

Last edited by tculin; 05/31/16.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Life's too short to screw around with a company like that IMO. Sell it and get something better.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Life's too short to screw around with a company like that IMO. Sell it and get something better.

JG: Got that right.....phuiock warranties and messing with dickheads. cry

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had good service from Sightron. I would buy another of their scopes.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

My gunsmith swears by Sightron scopes,and he is a serious benchrest shooter.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Just took my 3-16 to 1000 yards. So far so good. Wish the dot was a little larger, but can't complain for $400.

T
tculin Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I did get a new scope back today. I decided to bite the bullet and mounted it again - ya this one doesn't rattle.

I guess they knew I was mad, they tossed a bunch of swag in the box. Three mini flashlights, yep didn't need those. Three ball caps, ya we'll leave those at the range tomorrow, pens, laser pen, stickers. The one useful item was a 3" sun shade. Oh the laser pen DOA.

I'll go put some rounds down range tomorrow just to get the scope dialed in.

I did notice one improvement. The first scope the zero didn't line up with the marks - this one does. The center focus is smoother. The first one was shall we say stiff.

Its been installed on a Remington 700 VLS in .223 that is new to me with Talley lightweight 2 piece mounts. I did get the prior owners pet load, but just tossing some factory rounds down range tomorrow, ok they are Federal Premiums but what the heck.

The optics are bright, I'll do some resolution tests tomorrow as well with a Dollar bill at 50 yards.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The zero didn't line up with the marks because it is adjustable and there are no splines. Loosen the three screws and the cap rotates wherever you want it.

Sounds like sightron tried to correct their mistake, but you are bound and determined to be pissed off.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I cannot speak to your specific issue.

However I can speak about Sightron scopes and there service. I own 4 S-iii's and 4 or 5 Big Sky scopes. Excellent glass and a great value. I had need to deal with their CS on one occasion and they gave me the correct answers and service that I required. I give them an A+.

Last edited by 7025Jack; 06/02/16.

"I will remain what I am until the day I die- A HUNTER"......Sitting Bull
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
dogcatcher,

Sightron's dealer arrangement used to be that defective scopes should be returned to the dealer, who'd replace them. I know this because one of the local stores where I often take my business carried them for a couple of years.

But they gave up their dealership when so many buyers brought Sightrons back that they didn't always have a replacement scope in stock. They'd have to contact Sightron for another, which turned out to be a big hassle. So they don't carry Sightrons anymore.

Dunno if that's still the Sightron arrangement with dealers, but it was then.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, I try to be patient with people, figuring you get more results with honey than vinegar, but when they're clearly lying to you it's time to flush and forget.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
tculin Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
There is only one screw on the caps for the S-TAC. I actually did play with that. Oddly even with the screw all the way out of the cap it couldn't be adjusted. Its supposed to be able to, but ya not that one.

That will be part of the later review

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
dogcatcher,

Sightron's dealer arrangement used to be that defective scopes should be returned to the dealer, who'd replace them. I know this because one of the local stores where I often take my business carried them for a couple of years.

But they gave up their dealership when so many buyers brought Sightrons back that they didn't always have a replacement scope in stock. They'd have to contact Sightron for another, which turned out to be a big hassle. So they don't carry Sightrons anymore.

Dunno if that's still the Sightron arrangement with dealers, but it was then.

Stored to memory.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I probably should mention that there are a wide variety of Sightron scopes, in various grades. The manufacturers can vary as well. Like a lot of optics companies these days, Sightron doesn't actually make anything. Instead they import stuff.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm sorry to read about your trials with Sightron and I'm still amazed when companies don't bend over backward to statisfy a dissatisfied customer.

I currently have 21 Sightron scopes, all I's and II's, all under $200, that are mounted on 2nd and 3rd tier rifles ranging from 17HM2 to 270. They have all worked and the only style that I haven't liked were the SI 3-9x32RFs, 'cause they had the same "paper-towel tube" visual thing going on with them that the Weaver V10 has.

I may be lucky, in that I've yet to need to return a broken scope. Leupold has refurbished a couple of old/early Vari-X scopes, but nothing that broke or failed.

I've been particularly happy with the S1H 4-12x40AOs that I have on several rifles, 17HM2 thru 6.5 Creedmoor. They have worked well for my purposes and seem like a lot of scope for the $150+/- price.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Pics of turret on 3-16. There are three small Allen screws. Are the 4-20 different? I would prefer one large center screw like on my S3.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The only way the center screw works is if the turret is splined, the Sightron Stac is not splined.

It looks to me as if you ought to go ahead and get rid of it. You seem to be looking for reasons to dislike it, even manufacturing reasons where they dont exist.

T
tculin Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Making stuff up - whatever.

I mounted it and took it to the range yesterday. It does work rather well, but I'm going to put that in a separate thread.

In short the elevation and horizontal adjustments were spot on. At 50yards I needed to move it 7/8", seven clicks up and seven clicks right center punch.

Moved out to 100, three rounds necessary to to get on target. Using factory ammo and a windy day at the range.

[Linked Image]

I have the pet load for this rifle from the original owner now it is time to make some of those and others

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Post a pic of your turret.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,657
Posts18,455,621
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.