-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My NFA trust stamp finally arrived last week five months after it was paid.

So was finally able to put the shortened & threaded barrel back on the first firearm I bought as an adult in '78: a walnut-stocked 10/22 carbine.

I put it in a birch stock I've got laying around, as am about to strip, remove nearly 40 years of dings and give the original walnut a deep oil finish.

It's my idea of what Ruger should have on the market right meow (they're making suppressors, why not SBRs?), and what I should have turned it into shortly after I got it.

The beech stock is gonna get cut to 12.5 LOP so my grandson can have a size appropriate training rifle.

That's a .400 XS front sight, got a really cool peep rear but ain't gonna post pics until everything is dialed in.

[img:left][URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/elrata/media/image_zpskkmmo99x.jpeg.html][Linked Image][/bb[/img]

Last edited by ColdCase1984; 06/04/16.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Any ideas on custom mods?

I've only thought Cerakote v blue/anodize, the wood repair and maybe flush cup slings on side.

Have overhauled co-workers' 1st .22s wood finish, inset challenge coins, rank & last name, year of purchase; not sure I wanna go that far.

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I did something similar without the SBR stamp. I took my very first 10/22 (love the vintage metal parts) and cerakoted all the metal, added Williams Firesights with rear peep built into pic rail. I straightened up the barrel channel in the original beech stock where it was putting some off axis pressure on the barrel. Next, I full length bedded the barreled action into the stock with Marine-Tex. I kept the barrel band and everything.

I intended to do some other accurizing tricks, it but it shoots Mini-Mags so well I left it alone.

I almost forgot, I also glued the barrel into the receiver with Loctite cylindrical bonding compound for slip fits. It eliminates that sloppy fit between barrel and reciever. You can get it out with a little heat if you ever need.

I like that retro-tactical look of parked metal, oiled wood, and a suppressor!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Will use either original 3-prong or duckbill AR FH to keep threads safe when suppressor isn't on.

The stock is really well-grained; finally old enough to pay attention to it.

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Very cool, my friend. Congratulations on getting your stamp. I have more fun with my 22 suppressor than almost anything else I have in the safe these days.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Tennessee , did you match the original colors w Cerakote?

CrimsonT, I've got too many hosts for my Aviator. I need a SiCo that takes up to 5.7FN, too.

After a long afternoon of mowing yesterday day, shot a few rounds and the neat Marble Arms Bullseye rear sight shoots too high at its lowest setting.

Debating getting higher Bullseye v. Getting same Pic Rail Peep TN cited. Thinking that Bullseye would be the shiz on my old 94 Trapper...

Last edited by ColdCase1984; 06/06/16.

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
No, I just used the matte black on all the metal. It looks cool. Reminds me of an old M14 with its Parkerized metal and wood stock.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here it is compared to my issued 6933 with stock out one notch. When I cut off two inches of the beech stock it should be shorter.

May strip and stain this one for the grandson and put on a slim sporting clays buttpad or just go cheap and glue on a flip-flop pad.

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1badf350, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,137 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,106
Posts18,464,235
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.