Print Thread
Hop To
A
Aught6 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I'll be heading to Key Largo at the end of the month. Not a "fishing" vacation but more of a "get the hell out of the cold" vacation. However, one can't leave behind the fly rod when going to Key Largo. I've briefly cruised the regs and have a question. Will a saltwater license be enough if I'm just going to fish off shore? Also it looks odd in the regs and reads as if you are an out stater that you can't fish from shore only out of a boat. Perhaps just the way I'm reading it. I'm a packing along my #9 rod and looking for advice on what fly patterns I should pick up there and what leaders I will need. Also what fish are the preferred target and which are good eating? Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Check with a local fly shop...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I am by no means an expert so take this for what's it's worth. I fish east of of Destin, FL twice a year for a week. Almost all my fishing is done from shore (not a dedicated trip/it's where we take family vacation) I mostly blind cast with the occasional sited fish, depending on condition. My preferred setup is a floating line with 10ft sink tip(to cut chop). I run 16lb tapered leader with either 16 or 20 Fluoro tippet. I have caught 7-8 different species on a chartreuse/white clouser. (Jacks,ladies,reds,specs,tons of ladies,pompano,etc)

Not sure about the license deal. I'm from Texas and have never had an issue fishing from the beach with a 7 day out of state license.

If you are on a flat, bonefish could be an option and maybe some baby tarpon. Both will take a clouser.

A
Aught6 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Thanks. Looking forward to it weather I catch anything or not. smile

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Also, I can't fish the salt without stripping guards or my preferred method (small roll of duct tape) to wrap my stripping fingers. I have been cut deep by several fish and stripping all day. (I don't think the locals have this problem who spend a lot of time fishing the salt)

IC B2

A
Aught6 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
FYI I had a blast. I only fished two days of the week long stay but it was fun. I caught a lot of hog fish, barracuda (small) and snapper which were pretty tasty on the grill. I was concerned about Ciguatera though. I have heard it has made it's way to the Florida Keys from the north part of the Caribbean. I did not hear about this when I was down in Belize and from what I have read it is not down there.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, Anaconda, BallisticBRYAN, 13 invisible), 1,571 guests, and 832 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,207
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.