Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Does anyone know the number of LPI on the checkering pattern of the CZ 550 FS factory stock? I'm refinishing my stock and want to re-cut the pattern.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

BP-B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Without trying to sound too facetious lay a ruler down and count.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Undoubtedly helpful. Thanks. sleep

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The pattern on a European made gun will likely be laid out using millimeters. Good luck finding multi-row cutters spaced accordingly. For that matter, no matter what the spacing is, one never ever tries to use a multi-row cutter to freshen up existing checkering. They are merely for initial lay-out. Rarely will, say, a new 22LPI double row cutter perfectly match an older 22LPI pattern. Slight differences in tolerances, etc. make that wishful thinking. Best to just lay in a couple single row cutters and have at it one row at a time. Set them up in their own handles with them faced to cut both on the push and pull stroke (always pull the line away from the border, never push into the border), and a short cutter to get into tight places, and a veining tool or riffling file for ditto. If the pattern has a border, then you'll need the proper tool for that, too. Use coarse cutters for initial disruption of finish and grime in the old pattern, and fine cutters to finish it up.

Probably the most important tool is the one sitting between your ears. Wear a pair of magnifiers so you can see right down into the depths of the pattern, have good lighting and a firm rest. Stop the minute you get fatigued, or your mind starts to wander, you get sleepy, or you get interrupted. Don't listen to heavy metal or punk rock- choose something pastoral for background music if you need to listen to something. Ignore this advice only if you don't care about run-overs, uneven depth of lines, and criss-crossed lines.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 06/07/16.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What gnoahhh said. Multi-line tools are primarily for laying out the pattern. Single cutters to bring to full depth, easier to control. Then a bent needle file or similar tool to refine and point up the diamonds.

If it's your first try GO SLOWLY and take lots of breaks. An easy mistake when re-cutting is to dig out too much wood in the center giving the checkering a "wallowed out" appearance.

Thread gauges from your auto parts store if nowhere else work well for measuring lines per inch or lines per millimeter - cheap.

Oh yeah, the needle file is a good tool to straighten out a line if the cutter hits a funky spot in the wood and runs out sideways.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks for all the tips, they make a lot of sense. I've found out the hard way that patience is my friend as I work my way through lots of rookie mistakes. I'm very close to final sanding of the stock and pleased with the work so far. Not perfect by any means but close to what I had in mind when I started out.

A friend who does professional woodworking and cabinetmaking has offered to do the finish and I believe I'll take him up on it, as this seems that this is the most mystical part of the stockwork.

I checked the checkering yesterday and found the diamonds surprisingly sharp. I'll need to examine it under magnification to determine whether to refinish the pattern. We'll see.

Last edited by Wildcatter264; 06/14/16.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Pics when done, please!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On those I've refinished that had good checkering I scrubbed with mineral spirits and toothbrush, and touched up with an appropriate angle bent needle file or riffler. Gets all the debris out and the fine cut of the file refines the shape and sort of polishes the wood. Better than original, it's time consuming and often skipped.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
thread gauges! That's brilliant,thanks!

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
398 members (280shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1_deuce, 51 invisible), 2,350 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,723
Posts18,400,590
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.